Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Delia

wonder where dear old Smudger is these days....

In answer to the OP I think if we want to progress the answer has to be a yes, if we are happy being an established Prem club that will be perennially linked with relegation, the answer is no

Of course Delia has never been anything more than a figurehead. She doesn''t run the club, she never has, she just, with her husband, owns a large portion of it.

When things are going well, as a fan, she enjoys it as much as any one of us, something that is clear for the world to see when the cameras inevitably cut to her after we score or win promotion or whatever. She feels the pride that we all do, and why shouldn''t she? Her 12m personal investment entitles her to feel that pride, it has played a huge part in retaining our existence and also in where we find ourselves now.

The OPs question will not obtain transparent answers because at the current time the garden is rosy.

When we were at our lowest ebb, when we suffered relegation, when we lost 1-7 to Colchester United, I have no doubt that she felt the pain of that every bit as much as we did because she is a fan. Munby and Doncaster had fallen on their swords, determined not to make similar mistakes the remaining board recruited having taken advice from football people. It has, so far, been a dream ride.

I suspect that a relegation would see a wider spread of responses, the test will be what happens when the people running the club decide they''ve had enough. CEOs, in my experience, have a relatively short shelf life in a position. The hope is that the next incumbents have the requisite skillsets to keep moving the club forwards.

Whether they do or don''t, whether we end up in the Champions League or the Jewson League, Delia still won''t run the club, she''s just a fan who put her money in where others haven''t or wouldn''t have dared. For that I''ll always be grateful.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Dr Crafty Canary"]

[:O]Oh, Matt you naughty boy. What a laugh. Who''d have thought that some felt Delia couldn''t even spell ambition let alone have any.

[/quote]

I think you will find I said the board and not aimed it merely at Delia.So looks like you are the naughty boy here Crafty by twisting words and conveniently forgetting that at that time Munby and Doomcaster were fronting everything.

As you referred to everyone in the boardroom this would include Delia and hence my assertion is completely valid and not twisting words. As this thread is entitled ''Delia'' it is not unreasonable to mention her specifically.

I suggest you stop digging that hole that Matt has so successfully placed you in.

[/quote]

Well now Crafty so glad you think point scoring is the order of the day but I have no intention of engaging you in a war of words as we well know that Peter The Deleter will pull the plug on the thread. What I said about the board at that time did not contain abuse or vitriolic hatred which is more than can be said about you and your ilk who hid behind the mask of anonymity with talk of burning effigies and a car sticker campaign against who you and your pals called the wicked cook. That sort of tactic in my book looks far more ridiculous today than the statement I made.

Now in the words of your bro have a nice day and I will leave you  to de-rail this thread but then again you could always answer the question posed by the Op however I suspect avoiding answers is in the family genes.

A good attempt to deflect your embarrassment. I didn''t hide behind a mask of anonymity with my comments about burning effigies otherwise you couldn''t assign them to me. I openly posted those comments. It seems it was OK for you to show your annoyance with the board but not for others.

Now stop digging, there''s a good boy.

This thread is not about the past Crafty as I stated in my opening post. I''m more interested in former ''Delia Outers'' (such as yourself) views now and wonder if you still want to replace her. Like you, I have seen many ups and downs at Carrow Rd over the years but I personally have never seen the club in such good condition as it is now. I would say it is thanks to Delia and Michael whereas you would probably say it''s in spite of them. So, my question to you is, do you still want her out regardless of the consequences, or have you changed your mind and are happy for her to stay for the foreseeable future?

"Of course she isn''t going to carry on forever, so in the long run imo she pass the club on to the Foulgers.""I''m of the opinion that if they could find a buyer that is as down to earth and in touch with the club as her but with the bucks to boot then sell - but until that occassion keep the club and keep doing what we are doing.""I think the club will be passed onto the fans eventually."---Three posters wanting - roughly - the same thing. A continuation of the Smith and Jones ethos behind the running of the club. What is not clear is whether, with FFP, it will still be an advantage to have wealthy owners. If so (and I suspect it will be) then I doubt Foulger is in that category. The same objection would probably apply to a fans'' takeover, German-style.Myself I have little confidence in supporter-directors as they exist in British football, and the solution to that  - a supporter-director with a golden-share veto on heritage issues, is likely to stay just a dream.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Three posters wanting - roughly - the same thing. A continuation of the Smith and Jones ethos behind the running of the club. What is not clear is whether, with FFP, it will still be an advantage to have wealthy owners. If so (and I suspect it will be) then I doubt Foulger is in that category. The same objection would probably apply to a fans'' takeover, German-style.[/quote]I agree with you Purps, particularly the bit I''ve highlighted. For any new owner to buy a majority share and promise long term future investment, it will take many millions and therein lies the risk. As we''ve seen with Cardiff, they have bought success but the price they''ve had to pay is to lose their identity. I think most Canary fans would feel very aggrieved if any new owner changed our famous yellow and green to red for the ''Asian market''. I think we know enough about D and M to know they''ll be as sure as they can to hand the club over to the best possible successor.Whatever happens, we know when they walk away, Delia will always be remembered as the clubs true saviour  that statue can finally be erected. [;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Three posters wanting - roughly - the same thing. A continuation of the Smith and Jones ethos behind the running of the club. What is not clear is whether, with FFP, it will still be an advantage to have wealthy owners. If so (and I suspect it will be) then I doubt Foulger is in that category. The same objection would probably apply to a fans'' takeover, German-style.[/quote]I agree with you Purps, particularly the bit I''ve highlighted. For any new owner to buy a majority share and promise long term future investment, it will take many millions and therein lies the risk. As we''ve seen with Cardiff, they have bought success but the price they''ve had to pay is to lose their identity. I think most Canary fans would feel very aggrieved if any new owner changed our famous yellow and green to red for the ''Asian market''. I think we know enough about D and M to know they''ll be as sure as they can to hand the club over to the best possible successor.Whatever happens, we know when they walk away, Delia will always be remembered as the clubs true saviour  that statue can finally be erected. [;)][/quote]

True but it is going to be one hell of a job moving it to Carrow Road:

I think there are too many in the ''background'' to see the club simply handed over/sold to some shifty ''hinvester''.When D & M took over no one had the knowledge of what could go so badly wrong with getting in the wrong owners. Yes there were a few bad cases but by and large nothing on the scale that we have recently see.For my money we are on fairly safe ground for the foreseeable future and maybe the drop to League 1 was the necessary wake up call the club needed. In debt to no one, beholden to no one and a wonderful sense of unity about the place that was missing through the years after relegation from the PLin 2005.All we need now is not more navel gazing but a bit more celebration. Starting with the old girl getting out onto the pitch before Real Sociedad and presenting the Youth team with their FA cup, the U21''s with the Norfolk cup and even the ladies with their local cup.  Player of the year can be presented as well and have some handsome, appealing to the eye, long term supporter (reformed Barclay Boot Boy perhaps ?) to step out onto the pitch to accept the fans award* - awarded for the second year running.That friendly will be exactly 4 years ago (bar one day) to infamous 1-7 to Colchester.  There''s much to celebrate, lets do it to a packed Carrow Road before we knuckle down to a long hard season ahead.C''mon Mr McNally, let''s be having you.

* that can only be Lil''

" I think most Canary fans would feel very aggrieved if any new owner changed our famous yellow and green to red for the ''Asian market'' "

The good news there is yellow is seen as being an even more prestigious color than red in Asian cultures. Yellow and green imply beauty, courage, energy, prosperity and harmony. In Muslim cultures green is their religion''s fundamental colo.

So while everyone else is sporting red, it''s a lot better for us - from Tiznit to Tokyo - to be sporting yellow and green...

So there marketing team you have been dealt the best hand anyone could hope for :-)

[quote user="Yellow Rose of Texas"]yellow is seen as being an even more prestigious color than red in Asian cultures. Yellow and green imply beauty, courage, energy, prosperity and harmony.[/quote]Blimey, that also describes our club now. [:D]

I believe Delia and Michael are on the cusp of being the longest serving owners ( with majority control ) during the past 56 years or so when the younger Watling had control. Does anyone know the history and time served of owners prior to that going back to when the club was first formed?

In any event, it has been quite a ride under these two and we''re not done yet. Roll on to the 20 year anniversary I say.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]I believe Delia and Michael are on the cusp of being the longest serving owners ( with majority control ) during the past 56 years or so when the younger Watling had control. Does anyone know the history and time served of owners prior to that going back to when the club was first formed?In any event, it has been quite a ride under these two and we''re not done yet. Roll on to the 20 year anniversary I say.[/quote]I wholeheartedly agree Yankee. The "despised cook" of four years ago turned out to be a very tough ''cookie'' indeed.  Her many detractors at the time were soundly ''whupped'' by a little old lady. [:D] 

For those who said "anyone would be better than Delia", have you been watching the farce that is going on at Coventry City Football Club?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]I believe Delia and Michael are on the cusp of being the longest serving owners ( with majority control ) during the past 56 years or so when the younger Watling had control. Does anyone know the history and time served of owners prior to that going back to when the club was first formed?

In any event, it has been quite a ride under these two and we''re not done yet. Roll on to the 20 year anniversary I say.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree Yankee. The "despised cook" of four years ago turned out to be a very tough ''cookie'' indeed.  Her many detractors at the time were soundly ''whupped'' by a little old lady. [:D] 

For those who said "anyone would be better than Delia", have you been watching the farce that is going on at Coventry City Football Club?

[/quote]

I also can''t help but feel if Peter Cullum had gotten his way NCFC might have been subject to a lot more turmoil. That''s purely speculation, of course, because it didn''t happen. However, Mr. Cullum made his mark by being fairly ruthless in a world where numbers rule. It''s a requirement of his type of business after all. Nonetheless, when any corporation has its oars in a number of waters the water is often more choppy, particularly if a football club is having a rough period.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Let''s all give thanks to Delia, Mr McNally and Mr Lambert.[/quote]

and Mr Bowkett ...who I believe negotiated the deal with the biggest two creditors to keep NCFC off the rocks of Administration. The deal meant that we didnt  have to service the Loan Notes and the Bank Loan for two seasons (Div 1 and the Championship seasons).

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Let''s all give thanks to Delia, Mr McNally and Mr Lambert.[/quote]

and Mr Bowkett ...who I believe negotiated the deal with the biggest two creditors to keep NCFC off the rocks of Administration. The deal meant that we didnt  have to service the Loan Notes and the Bank Loan for two seasons (Div 1 and the Championship seasons).

[/quote]

I agree Tangie. Delia has a wonderful team, doesn''t she.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[/quote]

[/quote]She does Yankee but she went out of her way to persuade Bowkett to join the club. This is what he said at the time........"Let''s not forget, I did not seek this job and it

was Delia and Michael that realised some fundamental changes had to

occur and they spent considerable time persuading me to undertake the

task."Delia''s always been ''cleverer than the rest'' [;)]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Question is, who appointed Mr Bowkett, the Creditors or Delia?

What did Bowkett negotiate this deal with? Did he offer personal assurances? Go cap in hand? What could he possibly have said to appease these creditors? Surely there had to be some sort of guarantee or something?

I don''t know. But if someone just rocked up with nothing but a wink and a "trust me" I''m not sure I''d be agreeable let alone these big creditors.

Maybe Delia sent him....

Oh, thank the Lord, it''s already been answered. The creditors were in control, they appointed him. Therefore no credit can go to Bowkett at all as the creditors were essentially internally negotiating. Bowkett is also a liar as he said that he was sought by Delia and MWJ or hang on, perhaps it was all a big secret?

The creditors told Delia to appoint Bowkett or they''d pull the plug, Delia did as she was told. She then sent the oblivious Bowkett to negotiate with the creditors that had appointed him without his knowledge, they cut him a great deal to make him feel good about himself and because he was "their man".

Bowkett also filmed the moon landing and was seen running from the grassy knoll in Dallas in ''63.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

TFAA:

I''ll write that in a different way.  Did the Creditors suggest to Delia and MWJ that Mr. Bowkett would make an excellent Chairman?

[/quote]

No matter how many different ways you want to write it Tangible what is crystal clear to all who read your posts is that you just cannot bring yourself to give the woman one ounce of credit for being involved with where we are today or where we have come from in the last four seasons can you ? The woman has made big mistakes as everybody is fully aware and she has been rightly criticised many times by me included by the way but you continue with your relentless crusade to shift ANY credit away from her door. Man up for God''s sake and just let her off the hook a fraction and you just might find threads like this a little more bearable to read.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

TFAA:

I''ll write that in a different way.  Did the Creditors suggest to Delia and MWJ that Mr. Bowkett would make an excellent Chairman?

[/quote]

No matter how many different ways you want to write it Tangible what is crystal clear to all who read your posts is that you just cannot bring yourself to give the woman one ounce of credit for being involved with where we are today or where we have come from in the last four seasons can you ? The woman has made big mistakes as everybody is fully aware and she has been rightly criticised many times by me included by the way but you continue with your relentless crusade to shift ANY credit away from her door. Man up for God''s sake and just let her off the hook a fraction and you just might find threads like this a little more bearable to read.

[/quote]

Mr. Tilson, I suspect any thread that refers to Delia causes Tangie to think it''s to be used with his needle.

So the creditors appointed Mr Bowkett and then Mr Bowkett negotiated with the creditors to stave off administration so Mr Bowkett gets the plaudits for negotiating a deal with the people who appointed him?