Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Delia

Seems like a lifetime, but just four years ago we were preparing for life in league One. £20m in debt and hovering on the brink. Bryan Gunn had failed to keep us in the Championship so his appointment as full time manager was seen as the final straw. Delia Smith had taken the club back to the third division for the first time in fifty years. It seemed as if every other thread on here was entitled "Delia Out" or "Sack the Board". Many said she wouldn''t part with her dolls house while others informed us "there''s plenty of buyers out there". The "drunken cook" had gone from hero to zero and surely there could be no way back?As the recovery progressed through the leagues, it was all due to Bowkett, McNally and Lambert, Delia had just "got lucky".These days Delia hardly gets a mention'' although most people I speak to admire her resilience and determination to turn things around. In fact, these days, it seems most would prefer her to stick around as they seem fearful of what an unknown new (foreign) owner might bring.This thread is NOT designed to re-open old arguments but is a simple question......In view of where the club is at this present time, is there anybody out there who would still like to see Delia and Michael sell their shares and walk away?

No, unless there a local multi-billionaire hiding somewhere who wouldn''t sell the the club out, which I very much doubt.

Of course she isn''t going to carry on forever, so in the long run imo she pass the club on to the Foulgers.

I''m not even sure about the criticisms in the past - I think that she was badly advised at times by people who should have known better.

Hang on to her and also to Bowkett - he found us McNally, and if the latter were to leave for whatever reason, we would need to find another.

I''m of the opinion that if they could find a buyer that is as down to earth and in touch with the club as her but with the bucks to boot then sell - but until that occassion keep the club and keep doing what we are doing.

[quote user="Salopian"]

I''m not even sure about the criticisms in the past - I think that she was badly advised at times by people who should have known better.

Hang on to her and also to Bowkett - he found us McNally, and if the latter were to leave for whatever reason, we would need to find another.

[/quote]

No. I don''t believe so. The chronology is all wong for that. McNally fetched up weeks before Bowkett, and in any event Bowkett didn''t know professional football. It was almost certainly Smith and Jones using their contacts in the game, and specifically Roy Hodgson.

"I must not click it. I know full well it''s going to be something like

the King Singers featuring Val Doonican doing a cover of Pictures of

Matchstick Men"

it is not, in far far from that

but you will never know .......................................... will you ?

ps try using cut and paste, far cleaner and more readable

I''m happy with the way things are and I''m happy for her to stay. She has had ups and downs, but her heart has always been in the right place.

A billionaire owner arriving is all well and good, but before one comes to Norwich I''d like to see what happens when the current owners around the Prem get bored and pull out. Is there anything in place to protect Chelsea when Abramovich finally gets tired of his little project and leaves the club? I don''t know, but it will make interesting viewing...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Salopian"]

[/quote]

No. I don''t believe so. The chronology is all wong for that. McNally fetched up weeks before Bowkett, and in any event Bowkett didn''t know professional football. It was almost certainly Smith and Jones using their contacts in the game, and specifically Roy Hodgson.

[/quote]

However, for those of you who enjoy debating the situation, don''t give up prematurely on alternate points of view as you will notice that Purple stopped short of calling it  a fact.

"I must not click it. I know full well it''s going to be something like the King Singers featuring Val Doonican doing a cover of Pictures of Matchstick Men"

it is not, in far far from that

but you will never know .......................................... will you ?

Nah... I have the willpower to resist

The Pink''un Role Model

*I must not click it. I know full well it''s going to be something like the King Singers featuring Val Doonican doing a cover of Pictures of Matchstick Men*.

No it will be a video of Rossi and co sitting on  dustbins, singing a cover of  "Binning all over the Board", or something like.....

[:S]

Delia was never the problem, the big issue was that in Neil Doncaster we had a young career man with little or no experience of anything much running the club often for his own benefit, all the while earning whilst learning at our expense (Not that he seems to be much better in his SPL position the entire Scottish League setup is in disarray on his watch quelle surprise). It''s no coincidence the Clubs fortunes picked up almost as soon as Doomcaster left.

[quote user="lappinitup"]
This thread is NOT designed to re-open old arguments but is a simple question......

In view of where the club is at this present time, is there anybody out there who would still like to see Delia and Michael sell their shares and walk away?
[/quote]

The problem you will have with this thread Lapp is that the posters who you are seeking an answer from either no longer post or will just browse and ignore but to coin a phrase " I/we know who you are"

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Never have been part of the ''Delia Out'' crowd and while she still tries to do what''s best for the club, I never will. [/quote]I think the ''Delia Out'' crowd have become an extinct species. I feel sure though they will rise again just like zombies if and when we ever get relegated. [;)]

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Never have been part of the ''Delia Out'' crowd and while she still tries to do what''s best for the club, I never will.
[/quote]

This ^^^

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

This thread is NOT designed to re-open old arguments but is a simple question......

In view of where the club is at this present time, is there anybody out there who would still like to see Delia and Michael sell their shares and walk away?
[/quote]

The problem you will have with this thread Lapp is that the posters who you are seeking an answer from either no longer post or will just browse and ignore but to coin a phrase " I/we know who you are"

[/quote]

John Tilson, chairman of Norwich City Independent Supporters Association, said: "For me, the situation we find ourselves in started when we held up that trophy at City Hall in 2004. From the adulation Delia received, along with other individuals such as Neil Doncaster, I think they saw it as a rubber stamp that they could do nothing wrong.

"Yes, they had more than doubled the number of season tickets being sold, but I think they saw the full houses at Carrow Road as a ringing endorsement that they were doing everything right, when they weren''t.

"Under-investment, under-achievement by some very average players and a succession of average managers has followed.

"No Norwich City fan ever wants to hear the words ''prudence with ambition'' again. They haven''t lowered the debt. They might have slowed down its increase and, as for ambition, I don''t think there''s anyone in that boardroom who even knows how to spell it."

[quote user="Matt Hopkins"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

John Tilson, chairman of Norwich City Independent Supporters Association, said: "For me, the situation we find ourselves in started when we held up that trophy at City Hall in 2004. From the adulation Delia received, along with other individuals such as Neil Doncaster, I think they saw it as a rubber stamp that they could do nothing wrong.

"Yes, they had more than doubled the number of season tickets being sold, but I think they saw the full houses at Carrow Road as a ringing endorsement that they were doing everything right, when they weren''t.

"Under-investment, under-achievement by some very average players and a succession of average managers has followed.

"No Norwich City fan ever wants to hear the words ''prudence with ambition'' again. They haven''t lowered the debt. They might have slowed down its increase and, as for ambition, I don''t think there''s anyone in that boardroom who even knows how to spell it."

[/quote]

Maybe at the time I said that what exactly was factually incorrect unless of course you saw things in a different light.

This thread is NOT designed to re-open old arguments....[/quote]

And it was all going so well...[:D]

[:O]Oh, Matt you naughty boy. What a laugh. Who''d have thought that some felt Delia couldn''t even spell ambition let alone have any.

I was at the meeting (in the church? Hall? Wherever, I think it was organised by that supporters association) just after Gunn had been appointed, I was among those who muttered that Delia, Bowkett et all had lost the plot in making Gunn full time manager and that relegation with Gunn in charge would be a disaster. But of course they''d made the big announcement earlier in the day, completely undermining the entire exercise.I look back at that now and would never have predicted where we are or what we''ve accomplished since that point. No matter who is responsible, no matter who made the right decisions at the right time, I''m just glad of where we are now.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

This thread is NOT designed to re-open old arguments....

[/quote]

And it was all going so well...[:D]

[/quote]

Not really helping matters are you Purple by trying to pour petrol on the flames. This guy Matt Hopkins posted something i said around the time of relegation which i assume he saw as a '' Delia out '' rallying cry. Note i said assume as he has obviously gone to a lot of trouble to find my statement and post it on this thread. No denying i said what he claims but it was where the football club found itself at that time and if you think i was off beam please say so.

[quote user="Dr Crafty Canary"]

[:O]Oh, Matt you naughty boy. What a laugh. Who''d have thought that some felt Delia couldn''t even spell ambition let alone have any.

[/quote]

I think you will find I said the board and not aimed it merely at Delia.So looks like you are the naughty boy here Crafty by twisting words and conveniently forgetting that at that time Munby and Doomcaster were fronting everything.