Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Holt to Palace !

[quote user="Prem1"]People claim to want the club to take the next step but do not want to let go of players like Holt , i just do not see how that works , luckily i do not think Hughton rates Holt at all and the chances are pretty high he will be gone this summer . Time to move on people , RVW is the level now and you dont sign a player like that and pair him with a Grant Holt , £2million is a fantastic price for a player approaching 33 who struggles to even keep himself in shape , bite Palace''s hand off as there will not be many offering that sort of money .[/quote]Couple of things :-Who said they would pay 2 million for him, and which particular reliable source say anyone has even put a bid in?How do you know Hughton doesn''t rate Holt?All said and done, he is still under contract, and despite being asked to play a different role last season, he is still definitely an asset I''d rather have around than not.

We should only sell Grant if we have a better player lined up.

Grant is 32 and given us years of good service.   He is coming to the end of his career and we will not get anything for him next season if we no longer need him.    £2m for a 32yo striker who looked a shadow of his previous self (due to having less impact in the tactics adopted) is not a bad deal.   But only if we have a very good player lined up in his place.

Legends are all about the past.   The close season is about the future.  For me GH has a place here next season mainly as a sub.   However if we can buy well and get a price for him this summer depending on the details I would take that and wish the big man all the best.

Palarse seems the least likely destination though!

My Palace supporting mate cant stand him, and most of he fellow Palace support mate dont either.

Cheating diving c@#t were his exact words couple of years back, cant remember the reason but I think Grant went down a little to easy and probably got a pen.

Be further from Cumbria but supoose you could argue easier link links.

Secretly , they would love him and to sell to a relegation rival would be plain daft.

He iant going anywhere fast and his agent who I think is stirring things again can go and jump in Farmer Browns cesspit

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Prem1"]People claim to want the club to take the next step but do not want to let go of players like Holt , i just do not see how that works , luckily i do not think Hughton rates Holt at all and the chances are pretty high he will be gone this summer . Time to move on people , RVW is the level now and you dont sign a player like that and pair him with a Grant Holt , £2million is a fantastic price for a player approaching 33 who struggles to even keep himself in shape , bite Palace''s hand off as there will not be many offering that sort of money .[/quote]Couple of things :-Who said they would pay 2 million for him, and which particular reliable source say anyone has even put a bid in?How do you know Hughton doesn''t rate Holt?All said and done, he is still under contract, and despite being asked to play a different role last season, he is still definitely an asset I''d rather have around than not.[/quote]
Morty, I would point to some of Hughton''s comments over the previous months which sort of suggest that he doesn''t mind Holt moving on. Obviously this is pure reading between the lines and could be wrong, but Hughton has been asked several times about Holt''s future and i don''t think he has once said he will be here next season, he seems to prefer to talk about how Holt started more game under him than he did Lambert as a way to deflect the question. If Hughton wanted to keep his club captain I think he would have given far stronger assurances to the fans.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Prem1"]People claim to want the club to take the next step but do not want to let go of players like Holt , i just do not see how that works , luckily i do not think Hughton rates Holt at all and the chances are pretty high he will be gone this summer . Time to move on people , RVW is the level now and you dont sign a player like that and pair him with a Grant Holt , £2million is a fantastic price for a player approaching 33 who struggles to even keep himself in shape , bite Palace''s hand off as there will not be many offering that sort of money .[/quote]Couple of things :-Who said they would pay 2 million for him, and which particular reliable source say anyone has even put a bid in?How do you know Hughton doesn''t rate Holt?All said and done, he is still under contract, and despite being asked to play a different role last season, he is still definitely an asset I''d rather have around than not.[/quote]Try reading the original post...it might eradicate those grey areas as to why posters are mentioning 2 million me thinks...

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Prem1"]People claim to want the club to take the next step but do not want to let go of players like Holt , i just do not see how that works , luckily i do not think Hughton rates Holt at all and the chances are pretty high he will be gone this summer . Time to move on people , RVW is the level now and you dont sign a player like that and pair him with a Grant Holt , £2million is a fantastic price for a player approaching 33 who struggles to even keep himself in shape , bite Palace''s hand off as there will not be many offering that sort of money .[/quote]Couple of things :-Who said they would pay 2 million for him, and which particular reliable source say anyone has even put a bid in?How do you know Hughton doesn''t rate Holt?All said and done, he is still under contract, and despite being asked to play a different role last season, he is still definitely an asset I''d rather have around than not.[/quote]
Morty, I would point to some of Hughton''s comments over the previous months which sort of suggest that he doesn''t mind Holt moving on. Obviously this is pure reading between the lines and could be wrong, but Hughton has been asked several times about Holt''s future and i don''t think he has once said he will be here next season, he seems to prefer to talk about how Holt started more game under him than he did Lambert as a way to deflect the question. If Hughton wanted to keep his club captain I think he would have given far stronger assurances to the fans.
[/quote]"Sort of suggests"? Reading between the lines and could be wrong" You''re kind of answering your own question there.Why is it Hughtons job to reassure us? Why would he come out and say something he simply doesn''t know? Have you ever heard other managers guaranteeing fans 100% that certain players will be there the following season?So using the stat he started more games under Hughton than he did under Lambert somehow turns into Hughton doesn''t rate him and doesn''t want him here?Lol, really?

[quote user="ARCHIEGEMMELL"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Prem1"]People claim to want the club to take the next step but do not want to let go of players like Holt , i just do not see how that works , luckily i do not think Hughton rates Holt at all and the chances are pretty high he will be gone this summer . Time to move on people , RVW is the level now and you dont sign a player like that and pair him with a Grant Holt , £2million is a fantastic price for a player approaching 33 who struggles to even keep himself in shape , bite Palace''s hand off as there will not be many offering that sort of money .[/quote]Couple of things :-Who said they would pay 2 million for him, and which particular reliable source say anyone has even put a bid in?How do you know Hughton doesn''t rate Holt?All said and done, he is still under contract, and despite being asked to play a different role last season, he is still definitely an asset I''d rather have around than not.[/quote]Try reading the original post...it might eradicate those grey areas as to why posters are mentioning 2 million me thinks...[/quote]I did read it thanks, there was no grey area, I would like to hope that anyone with greater than pre school intelligence would be able to look at things like this and dismiss it as nothing other than pure speculation.Or maybe not.......

It makes me laugh that people think Holt had a "very bad" year last season, despite scoring 8 goals in a defensive minded team. Lets put this into perspective, Holt outscored or matched the likes of: Torres, Papiss Cisse, Carroll, Jelavic, Sessegnon, Welbeck, Bent, Crouch, Graham, Anichebe, Shane Long and Jay Rodriguez.

Now tell me, how much are those above players worth? How many of them would you like to see play for Norwich? I''d bet most of them. Carroll just sold for 15m+. Newcastle want 25m for Cisse. Barcelona are apparently offerering 17m for Torres. How many Norwich fans have banged on about wanting the "amazing" Shane Long? Loads. And he scored 8 goals last year in a more attacking team. Jelavic? Graham? Bent? Anichebe? They would all sell for 5m+. Sessegnon? 10m+. Rodriguez? 7m+.

Now I''m sorry to break it to people here but the Premier League is NOT an easy league!! We''ve just been spoilt with the amount of goals our club and Holt in particular have scored prior to last season. Put it this way, the likes of Kevin Davies were greatly appreciated by the Bolton fans despite him rarely scoring more than yes, 8 goals a season. Yes he was a grafter, but so is Holt. Yes Holt had a bad blip after the new year but so do many striker, gosh, including all those names I mentioned above!! Strikers struggle for form at times, they get frustrated and angry as they live for goals, even our Grant.

What do people here expect? seriously? Hopefully we will get our 15 goal a season striker in RVW. But sell Holt for 2m? are people here actually being serious? 2m for our captain and top goal scorer from the past 4 seasons? If Palace pulled that off they''d be laughing. Oh but...I hear you say, he''s 32! He''s past it!! Holt''s game does not rely on pace, it never has done, he''s still got a good few years left in him yet. Play an attacking formation and Grant Holt will score goals, much like the 3 goals in his final 4 games of last season when we were playing more offensive,

Our fans begged belief at times. What must opposition fans think we they hear that we want Hughton (who kept up a budget team) and our top goalscorer (and 3 times player of the year) out of this club? Ungrateful whinging sods, that''s what.

I would argue Morty that Holt was used so much because we didn''t have any other options. We failed to bring a striker in during the summer and everyone knew the situation with Morrison. Jan came and we had a couple of other striker options and once that happened Holt lost his place to a player who the club didn''t want to sign, that helps indicate he may not be in Hughton''s plans.
You quote some of what i said and i admit i am speculating. We speculated from lambert''s comments he would be leaving, i am just doing the same again and it may very well be wrong, all we can do is wait and see. All i do know is that it would be a huge risk selling him before we replace him, so i am not expecting and further developments regarding Holt until another striker is bought in.
I do think is Hughton knew he wanted him here next season, then that would have been portrayed to the fans as well

[quote user="priceyrice"]I would argue Morty that Holt was used so much because we didn''t have any other options. We failed to bring a striker in during the summer and everyone knew the situation with Morrison. Jan came and we had a couple of other striker options and once that happened Holt lost his place to a player who the club didn''t want to sign, that helps indicate he may not be in Hughton''s plans.
You quote some of what i said and i admit i am speculating. We speculated from lambert''s comments he would be leaving, i am just doing the same again and it may very well be wrong, all we can do is wait and see. All i do know is that it would be a huge risk selling him before we replace him, so i am not expecting and further developments regarding Holt until another striker is bought in.
I do think is Hughton knew he wanted him here next season, then that would have been portrayed to the fans as well
[/quote]I think your cup is definitely half empty on this one, go read Josh''s post a few times[Y]

"My Palace supporting mate cant stand him, and most of he fellow Palace support mate dont either.

Cheating diving c@#t were his exact words couple of years back, cant remember the reason but I think Grant went down a little to easy and probably got a pen".

And they had Andy Johnson once lol.

Anyway welcome back to the Premier League. Where you play against cheating diving ***** every other week.

Jim Smith "Holt interviewed at end of season raised the spectacle of him possibly leaving. Aussie team interest leaked to press. Talksport running stories about how they understand clubs interested and now these latest stories containing quotes from sources close to Holt. This is all coming from his agent"

Jim, I can understand how you''ve reached this conclusion but in your original post you said that it was Holt agitating for a move and "very definitely" his doing. Whether you think it''s his doing, or his agents, you''re still making assumptions. There''s no hard evidence to suggest Holt or his agent are involved in these stories. Who knows where they are coming from? Papers can print any old rubbish. Perhaps Palace have put that story out to unsettle Holt? I prefer to not believe a word of what Talksport say, and Holt didnt say he was leaving as such in his end of season interview. Admittedly Holt has done his reputation no favours after last seasons transfer request, but at this stage there is no hard evidence to suggest he wants out.

I''m glad to hear you''d like to see Holt stay though, we definitely agree on that :)

[quote user="Josh"]It makes me laugh that people think Holt had a "very bad" year last season, despite scoring 8 goals in a defensive minded team. Lets put this into perspective, Holt outscored or matched the likes of: Torres, Papiss Cisse, Carroll, Jelavic, Sessegnon, Welbeck, Bent, Crouch, Graham, Anichebe, Shane Long and Jay Rodriguez.

Now tell me, how much are those above players worth? How many of them would you like to see play for Norwich? I''d bet most of them. Carroll just sold for 15m+. Newcastle want 25m for Cisse. Barcelona are apparently offerering 17m for Torres. How many Norwich fans have banged on about wanting the "amazing" Shane Long? Loads. And he scored 8 goals last year in a more attacking team. Jelavic? Graham? Bent? Anichebe? They would all sell for 5m+. Sessegnon? 10m+. Rodriguez? 7m+.

Now I''m sorry to break it to people here but the Premier League is NOT an easy league!! We''ve just been spoilt with the amount of goals our club and Holt in particular have scored prior to last season. Put it this way, the likes of Kevin Davies were greatly appreciated by the Bolton fans despite him rarely scoring more than yes, 8 goals a season. Yes he was a grafter, but so is Holt. Yes Holt had a bad blip after the new year but so do many striker, gosh, including all those names I mentioned above!! Strikers struggle for form at times, they get frustrated and angry as they live for goals, even our Grant.

What do people here expect? seriously? Hopefully we will get our 15 goal a season striker in RVW. But sell Holt for 2m? are people here actually being serious? 2m for our captain and top goal scorer from the past 4 seasons? If Palace pulled that off they''d be laughing. Oh but...I hear you say, he''s 32! He''s past it!! Holt''s game does not rely on pace, it never has done, he''s still got a good few years left in him yet. Play an attacking formation and Grant Holt will score goals, much like the 3 goals in his final 4 games of last season when we were playing more offensive,

Our fans begged belief at times. What must opposition fans think we they hear that we want Hughton (who kept up a budget team) and our top goalscorer (and 3 times player of the year) out of this club? Ungrateful whinging sods, that''s what.[/quote]...Why do you fans keeps dragging up past exploits to justify the future?? I agree Holt has done fantastically well in the lower leagues and was instrumental in getting us into this league and I will be eternally grateful but it''s time to cut the sentiment and move on.  I am surprised people like yourself have running water and electricity in your homes and are not still hunters and gatherers! It''s time to evolve and move on. With the extra Prem money and calibre of player we need to be bringing in to compete with your Southampton''s and Villa''s we need to be stepping it up.  By all means use Holt as a squad player next season if you wish but will he be happy with a cameo role or does he want to be playing every week? I would think probably the latter.  The places we need to be going next season Holt unfortunately is not good enough and for the best of both parties we should cut ties now. With reference to all of the above players mentioned when considering their inflated astronomical salaries then yes....I do believe they were flops last season. Maybe...excluding ''Long'' from the previous statement based on minutes played last season for West Brom. You guys are the ''stat anoraks'' so a question over to you....How many minutes of game play did Long get last season in comparison to Holt????

ARCHIEGEMMELL

We are already evolving to the next stage with the acquisition of RVW, which could see us finish top half next season. My point is why dump an 8 goal a season striker for 2m? He''s good enough. Finding strikers who score goals in the Premier Leave is not that easy, just ask David Moyes when he was at Everton. I take your point, Holt may not want to be a bench warmer, or maybe he will thrive from the competition? Who knows. It just seems ridiculous that our fans want him out!

I don''t know where to find Long and Holt''s minutes played, but Long had 25 starts and 9 sub appearances, and Holt 28 starts and 6 sub appearances. Admittedly Holt had 3 more starts, but Long played in a more attacking team. So yes, West Brom finished top half last season, which would next stage of evolution for this club yes? West Brom finished 8th with Lukaku and Long, so why not Norwich with RVW and Holt?

Whilsthe is getting on we know what type of job Holt can do either starting or coming off the bench. We need to get part way throughthe season before we make any big decisions like him leaving. We could have injuries loss of form etc up front and be glad of his services. If he has hardly kicked a ball come January fair enough

Josh, you summed it up perfectly with your earlier post. Nail on the head.

It really does beggar belief some of my fellow supporters want Holt out. I believe he''s as good now as he''s ever been and has shown no sign at all of fading. Next season he will give 100% in every second of every match he plays, as he always has done. He''s a match winner, he''s the club captain and he knows how to score goals from nothing. Give him a role to play and he will deliver for us yet again.

In my opinion, selling Holt this season is comparable to Worthy releasing Malky in 2004.

Both captains, big characters in the dressing room and always give 100%.

It''s not just about what happens on the pitch.

It would be a massive, massive error.

YAWN Looks like we''ve got another body language expert here guys.

How about you stop looking at Holts body and start looking at what he does for this team. He is our captain, our talisman and our hero and the way he is treated by sections of our fans is a DISGRACE

I do think bassong was our talisman last season, his leadership was evident for all to. See, snoddy was our attacking talisman for much of the whole season. Yes holty has. Ad his role, but the team is evolving with others having an impact as we evolve.

I would not say holty is at hero status, I also will state when we signed him I stated the quality he had and was not surprised by his goal scoring record in the lower divisions.

Holty will be very fondly remembered when his career ends at. Carrow road, our fortunes were on that downward spiral but the drop from the championship was needed. We were not in a good place with gunn in charge. His goal scoring record is near the top of the charts and he will join the list of some of our best strikers.

But we are moving on and hopefully those dark days can be a reminder of what has happened.

Right now we are building and I agree we donot expect wholesale world beaters in ou team coming from abroad etc. but I do think we should be in a position to bring in some very prepared individuals to keep us in this division not for just next season but beyond and we need another striker to come in.

It all depends on who we bring in, simple I expect us to bring in a few players as we all do. The last thing I would want is for holty to leave (when he does) and then we panic to bring someone in. I would think holty would love to leave (after having his good pay cheques) knowing that we have forwards who can take us to the next level. Knowing he can leave with excellent options for our forward line.

Hero status is for the few and there are a few who deserve that status (in sporting terms with Ncfc with the fans). We have discussed our ridiculous hall of fame including everyone. I believe holty can leave a status if we can bring in those players, the behind the scenes are changing. All mentioned kk was a breathe of fresh air to the system, Martin is ready to be club captain and our team of captains from other teams are all bringing a new ethos and cohesion.

I am well aware what he has done and what he does for the team, hence I don''t want him sold.

By the same token I can understand why his behaviour last summer on the back of Lambert walking out eroded some of his goodwill with quite a few fans and you don''t need to be a body language expert to see that he was not his normal self for most of last season.

I also don;t think one idiot sending him tweets really represents a section of our fans.

It''s one story that has circulated originating from ''the people''.

I don''t need to tell you all how unreliable that is.

Also Holt has already stated that he will stay as long as he is wanted at the club. That was in response him being questioned over his family being located in Carlisle. In the same interview he suggested that he would be here next season and that he would like the idea of being able to turn out for his hometown club, Carlisle, before he retired from playing - although he understood that might not happen.

It''s also worth noting that the People has claimed we are ''looking'' to offload Pilkington to help with our finances? You what?

As others have said it would cost us more to replace players like Holt and Pilkington than the fees being quoted for them.

Also just for clarity, I do not see Toivonen being the incoming replacement for Holt. They are nothing alike in terms of playing style or role. For example I''m not convinced Toivonen would like playing as the lone striker.

That said, football is a crazy old world and you can never say anything for certain.

Well I''m sure not everyone is against holt. You have those that are completely, obscenely against him. these are the real morons. I mean, "I can''t understand how they have enough cognitive power to get out of bed in the morning" Morons and then you have your run of the mill snipey, nasty ones. The ones that believe he moved to Carlisle for any other reason than his family. The ones that wrote him off in league one, the championship the premier league and the premier league again and will continue to do a Marge Simpson style groan until he''s driven out of the club.

Guess you are in the latter camp.

Both are completely irrational and wrong, proven wrong, with facts. 

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]If he stays here, how many league goals do you think he will score for us during the 2013-14 season?[/quote]

I''ll go for 10.

How many do you think Tangible?

[quote user="Jonzey"] I believe he''s as good now as he''s ever been and has shown no sign at all of fading.[/quote]You meant apart from scoring half as many goals as he did the previous season (and seasons before), struggling to get selected over someone like Kei Kamara, and spending a number of games seemingly trying to collect other players legs and teeth instead of putting the ball in the net...Apart from the last couple of games, Holt looked a shadow of his usual self for most of the season, so if that''s not showing signs of fading, then I really don''t know what is!On his day when he''s fired up and playing well, he''s a great player for us, but my concern is exactly how much he will provide that, especially when he''s far more likely to be playing second fiddle this season due to the RVW signing.I don''t particularly want him to leave, but I''m also not averse to us accepting a sensible deal if there''s one on offer.As for comparisons to Malky or Hucks, I think both situations were very different. Malky was genuinely starting to struggle, and against top prem players he was always likely to be a risk (as other clubs found out when they signed him after leaving us), but in Malky''s case he wasn''t sat on a bumper contract as one of our highest paid players either, nor could we get any sort of transfer fee for him, so that''s a non-starter.Hucks is more difficult, because I think 95% of our fanbase thought he had another year left in him (and we were probably right if his 15 minute cameo in the Celtic game was anything to go by), and he would also have likely accepted a lower wage to stay with us and contribute to the team even if more as an impact sub due to his increasing issues with his hip. Again, we didn''t have other clubs looking to pay a transfer fee for him, or a number of years left on his contract to pay wages for, so that''s another non-starter IMHO.If Holt stays or goes I really don''t mind, but let''s not make out that he had a great season last year, or that he''s going to be happy to benchwarm again this season, because it''s obvious neither of those things are correct...