Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Holt to Palace !

[quote user="Highland Canary"]In my opinion, we shouldn''t sell our most influential player of the last four years. Nor should we sell to other potential ''relegation'' teams.[/quote]Funnily enough I predicted on the BB that this could happen as soon as Palace were promoted.  I could see him scoring lots of goals at Palace under Holloway which could well be to our detriment. Holt is still very capable and only scored so few goals last season because of Hughton''s negative priorities. RVW is unproven as yet so Holt must be kept IMO and certainly not sold to one of our main relegation rivals. 

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I think there''s a little bit too much emotion coming into play here.I''m not writing Holt off, he''s been a superstar for us, but I also think you need to know when to move on, and if the deal is right, then that time could well be now...[/quote]Two perfect examples of how you''re wrong are Mackay and Huckerby. By the time they left both were considered to be beyond their best. Which perhaps they were. But they were still both excellent players and did fantastic jobs at their next clubs. The gaping holes left in the fabric of the club destroyed the squads in my opinion. I feel both times it would have been better to keep them not only for the jobs they do on the pitch but also for their part as wolf pack leaders, which both certainly were, as is Holt. Never underestimate squad moral, it is a sensitive beast. Mess with the dynamic and no matter how talented replacements are, if they don''t fit in the squad suffers.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]But its the way holt went about getting them wages which gets people angry! I want him to leave, in fact I wanted him to go last season! Not the attitude any player should have t try and get more wages out of the club!!

Take £2m up front with an extra £2m is palace stay up. Potential £4m for a 33 year old is bloody good is you ask me!![/quote]

This guy is trollin'', right?

"paul moy""Highland Canary"

In my opinion, we shouldn''t sell our most influential player of the last four years. Nor should we sell to other potential ''relegation'' teams.

Funnily enough I predicted on the BB that this could happen as soon as Palace were promoted.  I could see him scoring lots of goals at Palace under Holloway which could well be to our detriment. Holt is still very capable and only scored so few goals last season because of Hughton''s negative priorities. RVW is unproven as yet so Holt must be kept IMO and certainly not sold to one of our main relegation rivals. 

Writing us off already. Well done lads. Absolutely no positivity in either of you whatsoever. Maybe you should hibernate in August. Please.

Now I dont often post but I just have to say something about all these negative Holt comments. Did anyone watch last season he was asked to play a completely different role to what he had played the past few season. This is why he didnt score as many goals which seems to be what everyone is judging him on, not about how many times he was back clearing balls out of the box or breaking up play or any of the other things he was being instructed to do. He imo did not have that bad of a season and might I add we only won when he was on the pitch. Next season we will still need the big man on and off the pitch and 2 mil for a player of his influence a joke !

[quote user="Josh"]Jim Smith wrote "Must say though I am getting fed up with Holt agitating for a move. These stories and any speculation is very definitely coming from him and its not the sort of thing I expect from our club captain! "

Based on what evidence? Sounds like you''re speculating as much as the Daily Mirror![/quote]

Holt interviewed at end of season raised the spectacle of him possibly leaving. Aussie team interest leaked to press. Talksport running stories about how they understand clubs interested and now these latest stories containing quotes from sources close to Holt. This is all coming from his agent.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]In my opinion, we shouldn''t sell our most influential player of the last four years. Nor should we sell to other potential ''relegation'' teams.[/quote]

the first sign of a regular visitor to our shoresThe greater spotted pantwetter

Remind me... how many PL goals do both RVW and Toivonen have under their belt?

And how many do Holt have?

Holt will be crucial this coming season in helping to bed these new arrivals in. If that goes well, then maybe in 12 months time we could let Holty go if it''s right for all, but to do that now would be potential footballing suicide.

Concerns me that everyone thinks we no longer need Holt. Been our main goalscorer for the last four seasons, a proven goalscorer and its far too easy to believe that simply because Holt and the team scored fewer goals last season that Holt is past it. Holt and the team scored fewer as Hughton''s priority last season was to tighten up at the back and defend as a team, whereas Lambert was gung-ho and attack in numbers. Holts scoring record was always going to suffer with a change in approach. To have still scored 8 goals equates to a similar output as his 15 goal season previously IMO. Its lazy to not be able to look past the numbers. Holt has been written off every season. What more does the guy need to do to prove himself?

What concerns me is that everyone is assuming RVW will be an overnight success and will automatically score 20 goals a season. Yes he is a great signing and a great signal of intent - but look how many strikers prolific in other leagues have failed to transfer this to another. RVW may be a flop, he might never cut it in the league, or he may need a season to adapt. People are just throwing his name around like we have 20 goals guaranteed next season.

Holt is a proven Premiership goalscorer. So he''s not youthful, but who cares? His game was never built on pace, and players like Sheringham have proved that if pace was never your game you can go on for years.

If Hughton brings in the players we hope can help the club go up a level and not need to play 10 men behind the ball, then Holt, provided with a similar amount of chances as in the first Premier League season, could easily score a similar amount.

Dont write the guy off (as has been done every season - do some people never learn?) and dont be fooled into thinking we dont need him anymore because we have such high hopes for RVW.

2m for Holt is ridiculous. He has no book value (we signed him for 600,000) so we dont need our investment back, and what would we do with such a paltry sum? He is worth far more to us than anyone else would be willing to pay. He will be an important part of our season this year, I have no doubt, and shame on those who are ready to forget what he has achieved with this club!

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Concerns me that everyone thinks we no longer need Holt. Been our main goalscorer for the last four seasons, a proven goalscorer and its far too easy to believe that simply because Holt and the team scored fewer goals last season that Holt is past it. Holt and the team scored fewer as Hughton''s priority last season was to tighten up at the back and defend as a team, whereas Lambert was gung-ho and attack in numbers. Holts scoring record was always going to suffer with a change in approach. To have still scored 8 goals equates to a similar output as his 15 goal season previously IMO. Its lazy to not be able to look past the numbers. Holt has been written off every season. What more does the guy need to do to prove himself?

What concerns me is that everyone is assuming RVW will be an overnight success and will automatically score 20 goals a season. Yes he is a great signing and a great signal of intent - but look how many strikers prolific in other leagues have failed to transfer this to another. RVW may be a flop, he might never cut it in the league, or he may need a season to adapt. People are just throwing his name around like we have 20 goals guaranteed next season.

Holt is a proven Premiership goalscorer. So he''s not youthful, but who cares? His game was never built on pace, and players like Sheringham have proved that if pace was never your game you can go on for years.

If Hughton brings in the players we hope can help the club go up a level and not need to play 10 men behind the ball, then Holt, provided with a similar amount of chances as in the first Premier League season, could easily score a similar amount.

Dont write the guy off (as has been done every season - do some people never learn?) and dont be fooled into thinking we dont need him anymore because we have such high hopes for RVW.

2m for Holt is ridiculous. He has no book value (we signed him for 600,000) so we dont need our investment back, and what would we do with such a paltry sum? He is worth far more to us than anyone else would be willing to pay. He will be an important part of our season this year, I have no doubt, and shame on those who are ready to forget what he has achieved with this club![/quote]

Great post. I guess these idiots are always going to be hanging around predicting doom and slating our players. Can''t really do much about them. Some "fans" created an image of holt as a slacker after the league one campaign and are determined to see him fail as they foretold back in the day, simply so they can proclaim they are right.

All the while he is driving the team on and scoring us vital goals.

These people probably have "holt 9" on the back of their shirts as well.

Who are these people and why are they associating themselves with Norwich city? It''s a form of psychosis.

All players come and go, none are bigger than the club, we replace them and (most of us) move on. This even applies to those that some seem to consider to be the ''untouchables'' like Holt and Hoolahan. If we sign Hooper or similar to go with RVW, there will undoubtedly be fewer chances for the guys already here such as Holt, so we and they need to decide what''s best. It may be a case of getting some cash for them, or keeping for a season and then letting go - time will tell.

As for someone claiming the loss of Malky left a big hole, get a life - great guy that he was, he was not PL standard, as testified by West Ham and Watford who got shot on promotion. Hucks did leave a hoe but went to the States, hardly the most testing of leagues.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]All players come and go, none are bigger than the club, we replace them and (most of us) move on. This even applies to those that some seem to consider to be the ''untouchables'' like Holt and Hoolahan. If we sign Hooper or similar to go with RVW, there will undoubtedly be fewer chances for the guys already here such as Holt, so we and they need to decide what''s best. It may be a case of getting some cash for them, or keeping for a season and then letting go - time will tell.

As for someone claiming the loss of Malky left a big hole, get a life - great guy that he was, he was not PL standard, as testified by West Ham and Watford who got shot on promotion. Hucks did leave a hoe but went to the States, hardly the most testing of leagues.[/quote]

Hucks has some interesting feelings on Malky and Iwan being released in his autobiography if you havent read it. He repeatedly said that he felt they were both missed

I agree with the comments regarding Iwan Roberts and Malky Mackay. Last time we went up to the Premiership they were considered too slow and too old and sold, but both were the heart of the team and put their bodies on the line for the club and I think Grant Holt is the same sort of person. Don''t sell to a rival, if nothing else review the situation in January and see where we go from there.

Rvw 20 goals, get real. Rvp and Rooney''s of this world may look at 20 goals. Jesus if he scored that many we would have all European clubs looking at him. A success for rvw is 12+ if he gets in the mid teens that will be amazing he has the potential to do that this and for other seasons.

Holty can help bring these boys on, but he admitted last season there were times when he lost interest, he did have to play the lone striker as we were not a potent team in midfield to control a game and have him up top. The run in was pretty poor for holty, if he comes back in great form and his mind right he will score a few goals and be good off the bench but if he doesn''t and acts like he did January onwards this season then we aren''t getting the best out of him. We need to bring in better players all over the pitch. Rvw is one of those players, but if he were injured and we do not bring in loads of quality into our midfield holty may have to play the same role with the same results.

We need a new striker to come in and we need goal scoring midfielders, this summer should be exciting so lets let it happen as we build a team for prem stability over the next few years by adding quality to every position. Our team has worked wonders but I have no problem with any of our first 11 last season dropping to the bench, over time to build a stable prem squad, if better players come in. We cannot relay o our bench which looked so inept last season pulling us through this season.

It actually is quite heartwarming that the majority of people on here still support holt and want him to stay and contribute

It is sad that there are those that persist with the line that holt is useless and should be sold.

But frankly, they are wrong. They''ve always been wrong. They have been proved wrong and will continue to be proved massively wrong so there not a lot more to be said.

Apart from a final reminder that they are all wrong.

Proven wrong.

Definitely wrong.

Sorry lads, made a mug of, proven wrong.

Yep.

Wrong.

...so wrong.

Would never sell him to a rival club. It doesn''t matter if your Chelski or Palace. Never sell one of ur assests to a PL club.

He just tweeted :-"Like these headlines, want away striker I keep reading, have not done one article saying I want away, makes me chuckle"

The point is that there is most certainly a place for guys like Holt, but not if they are going to be ''passengers'', both for sand for them. It would be good to see him and Wes stay, but I would certainly hope we were in a position (due to having improved our squad) to not need to use them so much next season.

As to ''missing'' players when they leave, it is all down to whether they are replaced with as good or better: eg Zak/Ayalla/Ward replaced by Seb/Turner. I''d agree that Iwan was a loss when he left, but not so much Malky.

I''m not surprised with the amount of people on here supporting Holt and wanting to keep him. I agree with the majority that he is a good influence around the squad, however i think that influence is slowly diminishing. By all accounts the Leeds boys form quite a core of the banter in the squad and as he plays less and less other leaders in the squad will shine through, and we have a lot of them, Lambert put together a squad of club captains, so i think if we lost Holt there will be plenty of people eager to take over his role.
I don''t think we are ever going to get more than £2M for a 33 year old who had a extremely poor season last year. Yes he was played out of position but he and the fans needs to accept that''s how Hughton likes to line up. I am pretty certain we will see the return of the lonely striker next season and for the past 2 years the fans have seen that Holt doesn''t perform well in that position. For that reason i would prefer the £2M. It would be nice to have a hungry Holt on the bench ready to come on for the last 20 mins to push for a goal, but from what we saw when KK was here, Holt does not make a hungry player when he sits on the bench, he just becomes extremely petulant
I would take the £2M, the £1.5M savings in wages and pit it into the budget. We are in the market still for at least 1 more striker, the proceeds from selling Holt could pay 50% of the fee for a new foreign forward.
Holt has given a lot during his time here, I think it would be better for all parties to end it on a high (well sort of a high) before more fans get fed up with him and he losses his desire to play for the club once Hughton names him on the bench for the 5th game running

To purplecanary:

This is the second thread in which you''ve said Holt is in terminal decline (or may well be). What''s that based on exactly? Scoring 8 goals in the PL in a very defensive side? The amount of points he won us (and not just by scoring goals)? that he was frustrated at not being able to play his normal game yet still contributed to our survival in one of the best leagues in the world? The fact he''s 32?

Look at what he can do when utilised effectively, look at the fact Hughton will soon have ''his'' squad after a season of transition, meaning more attacking options. If it comes to it teams would still be terrified of seeing Holt come off the bench against them.

No one more than Holt has earned the right to be in the squad next season. If we don''t play to his strengths then so be it he may want to leave, but play to his strengths and he will score. I''m srill confused as to why this question comes up.

[quote user="priceyrice"]I''m not surprised with the amount of people on here supporting Holt and wanting to keep him. I agree with the majority that he is a good influence around the squad, however i think that influence is slowly diminishing. By all accounts the Leeds boys form quite a core of the banter in the squad and as he plays less and less other leaders in the squad will shine through, and we have a lot of them, Lambert put together a squad of club captains, so i think if we lost Holt there will be plenty of people eager to take over his role.
I don''t think we are ever going to get more than £2M for a 33 year old who had a extremely poor season last year. Yes he was played out of position but he and the fans needs to accept that''s how Hughton likes to line up. I am pretty certain we will see the return of the lonely striker next season and for the past 2 years the fans have seen that Holt doesn''t perform well in that position. For that reason i would prefer the £2M. It would be nice to have a hungry Holt on the bench ready to come on for the last 20 mins to push for a goal, but from what we saw when KK was here, Holt does not make a hungry player when he sits on the bench, he just becomes extremely petulant
I would take the £2M, the £1.5M savings in wages and pit it into the budget. We are in the market still for at least 1 more striker, the proceeds from selling Holt could pay 50% of the fee for a new foreign forward.
Holt has given a lot during his time here, I think it would be better for all parties to end it on a high (well sort of a high) before more fans get fed up with him and he losses his desire to play for the club once Hughton names him on the bench for the 5th game running
[/quote]

Absolute rubbish re being on the bench. When kept out of the team by Morison he became fitter than ever and made Lambert re select him. The key difference was that was into an attacking side, something the team of 13-14 will also hopefully be

As I said above, assess the situation re: Grant Holt at the New Year. So many things could transpire before then.

I would emphatically not want to start the season without him, decent offer or not. He won''t be short of suitors from the Championship, at that time, should events indicate a parting of the ways.

"morty"Oh good, and now we have idiots tweeting him saying they want him out.

Fuc*ing Banana!!! The little gobshite.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]For 2 million, they''ve got to be joking !             http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/crystal-palace-transfer-news-norwichs-1982113  [/quote]The way people are spouting on here you would think we have Messi or Ronaldo on our books...not an ageing player who will soon be 33 and in terms of putting the ball into the back of the net last season was not worth his wages!  People keep saying why sell to our competition for the paltry sum of 2 million? I say sell...get him off our books for at least some financial worth and save our club a lot of money in wages. The money saved can be used to entice a real emerging talent to our shores to compliment another fine emerging talent in the Wolfswinkle!  Regards to selling our so called talisman to our competition...do you really think Palace will be our main competition next season??? Come on for f***s sake this will be our third consecutive season in the affluent league and starting to establish ourselves. Even if Holt did go to Palace and even start for them against us would this change anything? I would still expect us to take full points off them both home and away next season and anything less will not be justification for them having Holt...the buck would lie with a poor performance from the team and Hughton not doing his job! 

[quote user="morty"]Oh good, and now we have idiots tweeting him saying they want him out.[/quote]

It''s up to the rest of us to show we do want him to stay I have tweeted him already!!!!! Otbc

People claim to want the club to take the next step but do not want to let go of players like Holt , i just do not see how that works , luckily i do not think Hughton rates Holt at all and the chances are pretty high he will be gone this summer . Time to move on people , RVW is the level now and you dont sign a player like that and pair him with a Grant Holt , £2million is a fantastic price for a player approaching 33 who struggles to even keep himself in shape , bite Palace''s hand off as there will not be many offering that sort of money .