Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Holt to Palace !

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"][quote user="lake district canary"]Agents are agents first and spokesmen for their clients second.[/quote]No, that''s not the case.Agents do what their clients ask them to do, or they are very quickly not agents any more.[/quote]

I''m sure some agents will try their utmost to unsettle their client with super new deals that they have found for their player.  After all the better deal the agent can get, the more money he stands to make for himself.     Holt will be thinking about his future - of course he will - but that doesn''t make what his agent says correct.     His agent is  marketing a product to see what he can dredge up.    If he comes up with gold - say a fantastic offer somewhere up north then Holt would need to consider it, but on the other hand  Holt could be thinking nothing other than staying and fighting for his place at Norwich where he is club captain and leading goal scorer for the last four years.   But he''s not going to tell his agent not to see what is available, is he?[/quote]

Now I''m confused. I thought you were complaning about exactly that - the agent looking to find out all the deals that might be out there. Added to which you are treating Holt like some impressionable teenager who  is too greedy and too thick to knows what''s best for him and his family.

[/quote]

The agent will look for whatever he can find and will say whatever he can to get other parties interested.  This does not mean that everything he says has any direct input from his client.  He will simply say whatever he can to drum up interest.  All I am saying is that we shouldn''t read too much into what an agent says.  He is not talking to us, he is talking to other clubs.   Holt will have his future in mind, of course, but that doesn''t mean that everything the agent says comes direst from the horse''s mouth, to coin a phrase. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"][quote user="lake district canary"]Agents are agents first and spokesmen for their clients second.[/quote]No, that''s not the case.Agents do what their clients ask them to do, or they are very quickly not agents any more.[/quote]

I''m sure some agents will try their utmost to unsettle their client with super new deals that they have found for their player.  After all the better deal the agent can get, the more money he stands to make for himself.     Holt will be thinking about his future - of course he will - but that doesn''t make what his agent says correct.     His agent is  marketing a product to see what he can dredge up.    If he comes up with gold - say a fantastic offer somewhere up north then Holt would need to consider it, but on the other hand  Holt could be thinking nothing other than staying and fighting for his place at Norwich where he is club captain and leading goal scorer for the last four years.   But he''s not going to tell his agent not to see what is available, is he?[/quote]

Now I''m confused. I thought you were complaning about exactly that - the agent looking to find out all the deals that might be out there. Added to which you are treating Holt like some impressionable teenager who  is too greedy and too thick to knows what''s best for him and his family.

[/quote]

The agent will look for whatever he can find and will say whatever he can to get other parties interested.  This does not mean that everything he says has any direct input from his client.  He will simply say whatever he can to drum up interest.  [/quote]Can I just ask on what basis, and with what experience, do you know this to be how football agents work?

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"][quote user="lake district canary"]The agent will look for whatever he can find and will say whatever he can to get other parties interested.  This does not mean that everything he says has any direct input from his client.  He will simply say whatever he can to drum up interest.  [/quote]   Can I just ask on what basis, and with what experience, do you know this to be how football agents work?  [/quote]

I have no direct knowledge of football agents, but do of music and theatrical agents. All agents are pushing a product.   Its not rocket science - Holt pays his agent to look after his career.  The agent can interpret  that in whatever way he wants.   He comes up with things he think will suit his client and if something really good turns up, then it might be worthy of consideration.  

But what is GH or any footballer to do?  Say to an agent - "Look after my career path, investigate the possibilities, but don''t tell anyone I''m happy where I am and don''t want to move"  ?    No, the agent will make positive noises to prospective clubs that a footballer  might be willing to move - that way he will get a better response and a possible lead for a move either now or sometime in the future. 

And then we get the odd player whom goes against his agents demands/suggestions/call it what you want. We give you the Darren Huckerby syndrome. Not all players do what they are told