Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Holt to Palace !

It is astonishing how some go into meltdown mode at the mere thought of something being rumoured which they dislike.

I doubt Holt moving is in CH''s plans, just one year after giving him the 3 years he was after last summer. But everyone has a price and no player is and never has been bigger than the team - the fact is that we are looking to improve all areas, he will probably be down the pecking order and if he doesn''t fancy that then he might be off. I''d probably prefer him to stay but I can''t see a problem with whatever happens either way.

Therefore it all begs the question. If a club going into a 3rd top tier season, has a striker who scores 10 goals. Is the number he scores good enough?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]

Apart from the last couple of games, Holt looked a shadow of his usual self for most of the season, so if that''s not showing signs of fading, then I really don''t know what is!

[/quote]

Yeah, it certainly had nothing to do with the Manager''s tactics not playing to his strengths did it. Clearly Holt was frustrated by our style of play last year, he certainly wasn''t alone there, but aside from a few games where he let his frustrations boil over he just got on with it and did a job for the team.

It''s no coincidence that Holt started in every single one of our League victories last year, and we lost every game in which he didn''t. Huge player on and off the pitch for us, and being a player who''s never relied on pace there''s no reason why he can''t see out the remaining 2 years of his contract at this level. It would be a huge mistake to let him go (providing he wants to stay), can''t believe anyone wants to see him leave.

IFLGH

quote user The Pink''un Role Model - "Therefore it all begs the question. If a club going into a 3rd top tier season, has a striker who scores 10 goals. Is the number he scores good enough?"

It is in RVW and co chip in too, and we keep a sufficient amount of clean sheets.

For example, Everton finished 6th last season, but their top goalscorer was Fellaini on 11, followed by Jelavic on 7.

quote user Jonzey "Josh, you summed it up perfectly with your earlier post. Nail on the head.

It really does beggar belief some of my fellow supporters want Holt out. I believe he''s as good now as he''s ever been and has shown no sign at all of fading. Next season he will give 100% in every second of every match he plays, as he always has done. He''s a match winner, he''s the club captain and he knows how to score goals from nothing. Give him a role to play and he will deliver for us yet again."

Yup agreed. If we play to his strengths (I.e., attacking formation) then I believe he will be motivated and perform to a high standard. People have been writing Holt off every season since he has joined us but he keeps proving people wrong.

Admittedly he''ll probably get less game time next season but he''d make a great sub and I''m sure there will be many games (especially at home) where we will play 2 up top. Who wouldn''t want to see Holt and RVW playing together? Sounds mouth watering to me.

Surely a PL player should be able to adapt to different tactics, so if Holt can''t without looking peed off, is he really as good as some believe? Also, why is it not ''allowed'' to be coincidence that Holt started in our wins last season - he started 28 games and coincidences happen all the time: nor is the defeats one correct (talk about making stuff up to make a point!). That ''win'' stat doesn''t work in the prior two seasons either, so why so relevant last time?

I''m all for Holt being kept, but some of the arguments are quite frankly pathetic!

It''s relevant Branston, because people are talking about ha contribution last year. My sincere apologies if the stat about the defeats is incorrect, I''ve read it in several places and didn''t bother to check it''s accuracy, certainly not in the business of making things up to prove a point.

Also many thanks to you for clearing up just what is pathetic. If it wasn''t for your post I''d have been thinking that it was people questioning if our top scorer for the last 4 seasons and first player to ever when POTS in 3 consecutive seasons is as good as people think he is, so thanks for that.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Surely a PL player should be able to adapt to different tactics, so if Holt can''t without looking peed off, is he really as good as some believe? Also, why is it not ''allowed'' to be coincidence that Holt started in our wins last season - he started 28 games and coincidences happen all the time: nor is the defeats one correct (talk about making stuff up to make a point!). That ''win'' stat doesn''t work in the prior two seasons either, so why so relevant last time? I''m all for Holt being kept, but some of the arguments are quite frankly pathetic![/quote]

Just because a player plays in the premier league doesn''t mean he''s going to adaptable. Look at the England team full of premier league players of much higher status than Holt who cant adapt to save their lives. Holt still has something to offer and if the untried option of RVW doesn''t work out or takes time to adapt I''d be very glad that we have a player who has shown he can do it at this level in our squad.

....as would I, Yellowbeagle - i''d like Holt to stay but cannot see it as the be all and end all that some others seem to think, and some of the arguments/stats being used to ''prove'' his worth are simply wrong.

We left ourselves under- strikered last season - let''s not forget the farce of the summer transfer window.

Holt should stay. It''s a no brainer. His influence, charisma, commitment and dare I say it, goals, assuming our manager continues with the positive approach we belatedly followed at the end of the season, make it non- sensical for us to sell. And to a relegation candidate. Madness!

I will always laugh at the futility of the "holt out" brigade

They remind me of the bad guys at the end of an episode of the A team

Shaking their fists, defeated and made to look like idiots.

No, there is no ''must'' to anything. What is it you expect to happen if Holt leaves? I''m keen that he stays, but to overstate things is plain stupid and undermines the argument, as it makes you sound line a child throwing his toys around.

[quote user="Return of steady on"]I would remind everyone that Indy bones wanted us to get Michael Owen last season, effectively making any point he makes invalid.[/quote]And I would remind everyone that this has f**k all to do with the topic being discussed.I still maintain that Owen would have been a good signing for us as he not only had experience at the very highest levels and a good attitude, but he offered something different to the options we already had, not to mention he was available for free and apparently took a hefty pay cut to join Stoke.His decision to join Stoke was an error from a playing perspective IMHO, as they simply were never going to play the type and style of football that he''d benefit from and give him the relevant gametime, which is why people like Jerome and Crouch were starting games ahead of him despite being ''inferior'' players.But I digress, as my opinion on signing Owen doesn''t suddenly invalidate anything else I say, and it''s frankly embarrasing and ignorant for you to suggest that it does.From the views some are putting forward on this thread, we should be going out to sign people like Thierry Henry, as despite clearly being past their best, they somehow transcend the normal rules that apply when deciding on who to play/sign, and their ''legend'' status over-rules all else, even if it''s at the expense of common sense and against the information which is clearly displayed in front of us about their waning abilities...

Michael Owen?

Haven''t looked in for a while, but it''s good to see the place hasn''t lost its sense of humour.

Yes, I can remember have a few scuffles with Indy Bones about Owen.

But how does it make his opinion invalid? Pathetic steady on. You were the one who was launching attacks on nutty.

At the moment, Grant Holt is the face of NCFC in America at least.

He has 2 very good seasons of Prem experience and shown no sign of losing the "it" factor that makes him such a force and such an influence on the pitch.

Of course we should get rid of him and put all our eggs in the basket of unknowns (in terms of how they will fit in at Norwich).

Hindsight is a wonderful thing if you want to beat somebody over the head with Michael Owen.

If I remember correctly there were a good number of posters who thought he was a good idea at that time.

"At the moment, Grant Holt is the face of NCFC in America at least"

Interesting HC. Holt could well sit tight here for another season. And then chance his luck over the pond.

Hughton preferred a mediocre Kamara over Holt and didnt think Kamara good enough to sign , that should tell you what chance Holt has of getting game time next season .

[quote user="smooth"]Rvw 20 goals, get real. Rvp and Rooney''s of this world may look at 20 goals. Jesus if he scored that many we would have all European clubs looking at him. A success for rvw is 12+ if he gets in the mid teens that will be amazing he has the potential to do that this and for other seasons.

Holty can help bring these boys on, but he admitted last season there were times when he lost interest, he did have to play the lone striker as we were not a potent team in midfield to control a game and have him up top. The run in was pretty poor for holty, if he comes back in great form and his mind right he will score a few goals and be good off the bench but if he doesn''t and acts like he did January onwards this season then we aren''t getting the best out of him. We need to bring in better players all over the pitch. Rvw is one of those players, but if he were injured and we do not bring in loads of quality into our midfield holty may have to play the same role with the same results.

We need a new striker to come in and we need goal scoring midfielders, this summer should be exciting so lets let it happen as we build a team for prem stability over the next few years by adding quality to every position. Our team has worked wonders but I have no problem with any of our first 11 last season dropping to the bench, over time to build a stable prem squad, if better players come in. We cannot relay o our bench which looked so inept last season pulling us through this season.[/quote]

12 goals a success for RVW ??? Am I missing something ??? So RVW only needs 12 to be is a hero. What''s going on ? It seems the bar is set pretty high for Holt and ankle height for RVW.

You don''t think you''re being a bit bias do you ? You''re shafting Holt for not scoring enough goals, he scored 15 his first season. How many would Holt have to score before he is good enough in your eyes ?

Oh that''s right it''s RVW pedigree - hes from the dutch league. The commoner of a tyre fitter would have to score double to be the equal of RVW right ?

Listen we are not replacing Holt with a player that scores just 12 goals ! I dont care if his pedigree is he''s the offspring of Beckham & Jessica Ennis - 12 isn''t enough !

You are one shouting from the rooftops - put your money where your mouth is - 25-30 premiership goals. 

If, and it is only an if at present, RVW starts banging in the goals left right and centre, then I suggest he won''t remain a City player very long!

The thing is though, if we assume that the club has a decent budget now what is there to gain by moving Grant Holt on?

Without question he still has something to offer in a footballing sense, and charisma/leadership. I don''t understand the mentality around moving him on for the sake of it.

[quote user="Six Pack"]put your money where your mouth is - 25-30 premiership goals.[/quote]And if that''s your genuine expectation of RVW, then I''d suggest that your mouth is firmly located in your posterior...Only a handful of players are good enough to hit that many goals a season, and 99% of that handful will do it for a top 6 club with world class players giving them the ammunition.These season alone, only Van Persie managed that amount, with just Bale and Suarez even scoring above 20, and all three of them are at top clubs. Last season it was only Van Persie and Rooney to hit that amount, with Aguero being the sole played besides them above 20 - and again, they''re all at top clubs.Not to mention that all of these players are worth in excess of 25-30 million (or close to 85-100 if you buy into the Bale hype), and not closer to 8 million...Your suggestion is beyond ridiculous, and whilst I think it''s perfectly plausible that RVW could hit 15 or more, a base yardstick of 12 isn''t unfair or too low, for a player coming into a totally new league (and of a higher standard) and in a team that has some good players, but is more focused on team based results than individually outstanding players.So wind your neck in pal, and either be more reasonable, or simply don''t bother to respond if that''s the sort of tosh you''re going to come out with...