Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Holt to Palace !

[quote user="swindoncanary"]For 2 million, they''ve got to be joking !           
 http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/crystal-palace-transfer-news-norwichs-1982113 
[/quote]

....and I quote:

"Premier League new boys Palace fancy 32-year-old Holt as cover for crocked Glenn Murray."

So, Grant Holt wouldn''t fancy fighting for his place at Norwich, where he is club captain, but would rather go to the exotic lands of Selhurst Park "as cover" for a player who has never played at the highest level, for a club that has never stayed more than 1 season in the PL???

You actually couldn''t make it up - must have something to do with the summer solstice! Maybe the reporter is a Stonehenge druid and actually ingested some of his concoction? (Or maybe he inhaled it!)

I thought the article made more sense than any other rumour i have seen this summer. A source close to Holt says he doesn''t want to be a bench warmer here (pretty obvious). Palace are prem new boys who have lost their main striker, Holt would be a good addition to them and can continue to feature in the prem. While we get 2M to put towards another striker. So my question is what doesn''t make sense about the article, all logical steps leading to the conclusion Holt to Palace.
IMO it would be a good deal for everyone involved and i would bite their hands off at £2M and the money saved in wages

[quote user="priceyrice"]I thought the article made more sense than any other rumour i have seen this summer. A source close to Holt says he doesn''t want to be a bench warmer here (pretty obvious). Palace are prem new boys who have lost their main striker, Holt would be a good addition to them and can continue to feature in the prem. While we get 2M to put towards another striker. So my question is what doesn''t make sense about the article, all logical steps leading to the conclusion Holt to Palace.
IMO it would be a good deal for everyone involved and i would bite their hands off at £2M and the money saved in wages
[/quote]I''m not sure the story makes total sense. I thought Murray was more of a goal poacher than a Holt-style target man, so that Palace could accommodate both. But £2m is a more than fair price for a high wage-earner who may well be in terminal decline and will 33 this season, with no sell-on value.

[quote user="priceyrice"]I thought the article made more sense than any other rumour i have seen this summer. A source close to Holt says he doesn''t want to be a bench warmer here (pretty obvious). Palace are prem new boys who have lost their main striker, Holt would be a good addition to them and can continue to feature in the prem. While we get 2M to put towards another striker. So my question is what doesn''t make sense about the article, all logical steps leading to the conclusion Holt to Palace.
[/quote]

That would be true whatever club he is at.  Personally, I would prefer him to stay and fight for his place.   He has more influence at Norwich than many give him credit for,  not least that never say die spirit that has seen the team score so many goals in the final minutes of games, usually scored by or assisted by Holt.  Everton this season being one example.   Even if he was not first on the team sheet, I would prefer him to stay and offer something different from the bench. £2 million seems a paltry amount for a premiership striker anyway.   I hope he stays.  Who would want to go to Crystal Palace anyway?   And if he did go there - do we really want to see him playing for the opposition?      If he was to go anywhere it would imo be north and to a championship side where he would more likely be a first choice player.  But I hope he stays. 

I too would rather Holt be around for the start of the next season.

Clearly his role on the pitch is destined to diminish, but I feel that he still has a contribution to make. Besides, Grant Holt doesn''t do non-contribution.

As Club Captain it would, I feel be valuable to have him around whilst the new boys bed in and such continuity can be important. We have the money sufficient to afford the luxury of our ageing talisman for a bit longer.

In respect of this I would prefer that both the Club and the player wait to see how things have panned out by the time of the January window before considering a parting of the ways. He will still be in demand from the Championship.if it becomes clear that it is time for him to go.

Maybe true if a club or two have made an enquiry. Either way it''ll come down to if the price is right and/or Holt himself wants to move. One more move could be attractive as it''s last chance for a big pay day.

I''d like to see him have one more year here. However it wouldn''t surprise if he does go.

Don''t really see him going there but this is probably his last chance at a fairly big pay day.

[quote user="Josh"]How good he "was"?

Still is![/quote]those are past goals, the comment was about those goals, therefore it is ''was''(I made no comment about his present form)

Ha! Cover for Glenn Murray! Surely Holt would be their main player! 23 goals in 2 PL seasons! That record isn''t matched by many, especially in a lower table side.

I hope these stories soon disappear and yet again Holt shows how important he is to us.

We aren''t one of the best sides in Europe, we are not ready to move on from Holt, I doubt we ever will be.

We need Holt more than ever this year.

[/quote]

Bite their hand off for £2m? I could not possibly disagree more. We lose our top scorer and club captain, Palace pick up a decent prem striker on the cheap and we get a pathetic £2m. This would be a terrible, terrible deal and for that reason I''m confident it won''t happen!

We should not sell cheap. We should not sell to a team like Palace. If he has to go anywhere chuck him in as part of a Hooper deal.

Must say though I am getting fed up with Holt agitating for a move. These stories and any speculation is very definitely coming from him and its not the sort of thing I expect from our club captain!

I note RVW has not been allocated his squad number yet.

Given RVW is also a traditional #9 it would appear the club are hanging fire until there''s more certainty around Grant Holt''s whereabouts next season...

Should he move to a newly promoted side, I would have thought Cardiff or Hull more likely than Palace though? (Managers of both those clubs have NCFC connections).

You consider GH one of our players on big wages, yes with new 3 year contract last year possibly around £30k per week. But get real we are a Premier League club and need to pay PL wages, £30k will prove to be cheap. Any replacement of any stature will cost much more than £2m and wages significantly more. Until we get such a replacement must keep GH an inspiration for last 4 seasons.

But its the way holt went about getting them wages which gets people angry! I want him to leave, in fact I wanted him to go last season! Not the attitude any player should have t try and get more wages out of the club!!

Take £2m up front with an extra £2m is palace stay up. Potential £4m for a 33 year old is bloody good is you ask me!!

Jim Smith wrote "Must say though I am getting fed up with Holt agitating for a move. These stories and any speculation is very definitely coming from him and its not the sort of thing I expect from our club captain! "

Based on what evidence? Sounds like you''re speculating as much as the Daily Mirror!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]But its the way holt went about getting them wages which gets people angry! I want him to leave, in fact I wanted him to go last season! Not the attitude any player should have t try and get more wages out of the club!! Take £2m up front with an extra £2m is palace stay up. Potential £4m for a 33 year old is bloody good is you ask me!![/quote]

And if a Holt goal for Palace sends us down instead of them..............what then?

Thank you Josh.

I don''t think it''s wise selling a good striker to a prem rival, even a team like Palace, with ''relegation fodder'' stamped on them.

Plus Holty will help the new front men settle in. He probably won''t be first choice but he will be a great squad player.

Or, God forbid, RVW gets injured early doors then where would we be. Sell Palace Becchio for £2M!

Holt is a complete legend & I would hate seeing him at CR playing for someone else next year. I still think he has much to offer next year - I don''t think age will affect him as.much as others. His game is hardly based around pace. He is only a year or so older than Crouch & Defoe. Kevin Davies won an England cap at 32/33!!!

I don''t think some of you should be so quick to dismiss Holt.

I do think if an offer comes in we should look at it. As I have said before, but crystal palace, it is clear they know they want to build that team atmosphere that he brought to us. I do think his best years are behind him and if he played like last season that he would not play much more with Murray being the top striker at palace.

We do have to be careful, if it was Celtic or a champ club I would sell. If we could guarantee he played like that this year it is fine, I do think we can bring in better long term forwards.

The concern even with holty here is if rvw does get injured he will be our starting striker. Personally I do not want that after this season as I cannot see him being the handful he once was. Most centre backs had him in their pocket last season.

I see him as I saw Iwan at the end of his time at Norwich.  A great servant for the club, but not as good as in his peak - but would still love to see him in the squad as he does more for the team than just score goals.  By this I mean both on and off the pitch.  I think that they should have kept Iwan on longer for his presence in the team, and the club went on to regret it.  I feel the same now, we should keep him - he''s definitely worth more to us than another team would pay us for him.  We may have found a new goal scorer in RvW, but we need to keep Holt until we find a new leader for the team.

What an absolute crock of manure. This story has clearly been made up by a bored, lazy journo on the beach who was approaching his deadline and panicked. And where has this ''Holty isn''t as good as he used to be'' rubbish come from?! The guy is still capable on banging in 15 goals this coming season. He''s a nightmare for defenders and is a battering ram up front. He also wins free kicks, he winds the opposition up, he''s a match winner, he''s the club captain and he''s clearly the alpha male in the squad. A likeable guy who surely is a major part in squad moral. Why would the club sell a player like this for a pawltry £2mill to a sh*tty little club like Crystal Palace, with a sh*t ground in a sh*t area?

I think there''s a little bit too much emotion coming into play here.Holt is, and always will be regarded as a club legend, but that shouldn''t cloud our judgment regarding his viability for the coming season, and whether or not a move would be a good deal for all parties.He''s already made it abundantly clear that he isn''t happy to sit on the bench, even to the point of letting it impact on him during games, but if we''re being honest, there''s virtually no chance that he''s going to be selected over RVW, which means he IS going to be unhappy sat on the bench being used as an impact sub or to cover an injury/rest to RVW.He''s one of our highest paid players, had a pretty average to poor season last year, with no signs that he''ll get the gametime this year to improve on it, and whether or not there''s any truth to the rumours, there is talk about him wanting a move further north.The saving on wages alone for the next year will be close to 1.6 million (assuming the 30k a week rumours are correct and taking into account bonuses etc), which combined with a decent transfer fee, would give us the funds to bring in additional quality where we really need it.I''m not writing Holt off, he''s been a superstar for us, but I also think you need to know when to move on, and if the deal is right, then that time could well be now...

Holt has repeatedly said that moving to Cumbria or anywhere else is not a priority while he is at Norwich.   He has not said he wants to leave and clearly enjoys his role as club captain.  He would only leave if the club don''t want him as he is under contract.   The club won''t want him to move as he has a huge off field role at Norwich as club captain and still influential on the field too.     Any money that would likely be received for him if he were sold would be too small to make any real difference to the financial situation.  Get used to it guys - he is here to stay.

Right, I have specifically rejoined this website to address some of the points being made on this thread.

To the "Norwich city fan" that proclaims he''d "bite their hand off" for 2million for holty, are you serious? Are you being serious or are you just a complete idiot?

Holt will be here, he will be fit, he will score goals and he will prove his doubters wrong AGAIN. It''s getting BORING watching him consistently mug you people off. You literally haven''t got a clue have you?

How about supporting the greatest striker this club has ever had rather than consistently sniping at him for being "useless" or "fat", there''s a novel idea for you.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I think there''s a little bit too much emotion coming into play here.

Holt is, and always will be regarded as a club legend, but that shouldn''t cloud our judgment regarding his viability for the coming season, and whether or not a move would be a good deal for all parties.

He''s already made it abundantly clear that he isn''t happy to sit on the bench, even to the point of letting it impact on him during games, but if we''re being honest, there''s virtually no chance that he''s going to be selected over RVW, which means he IS going to be unhappy sat on the bench being used as an impact sub or to cover an injury/rest to RVW.

He''s one of our highest paid players, had a pretty average to poor season last year, with no signs that he''ll get the gametime this year to improve on it, and whether or not there''s any truth to the rumours, there is talk about him wanting a move further north.

The saving on wages alone for the next year will be close to 1.6 million (assuming the 30k a week rumours are correct and taking into account bonuses etc), which combined with a decent transfer fee, would give us the funds to bring in additional quality where we really need it.

I''m not writing Holt off, he''s been a superstar for us, but I also think you need to know when to move on, and if the deal is right, then that time could well be now...
[/quote]

Game rule 1. Indy, NEVER, ever, sell your top scorer to a possible relegation rival!