Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Back

£8m for Shelvey?

They''re saying Liverpool have priced him at £8m and we''ve put in a bid of roughly that price  (probably a load of codswallop).  Is that too much?  We know English players (especially younger ones) are over-priced in this league.  But I feel with a few seasons of regular first team football he could easily be worth double that.  So would you pay £8m for Jonjo?    That name is probably worth about £8m alone! 

Who is saying? I would take him for about 5 million, talented player but lacks consistency

[quote user="Pabs"]Who is saying? I would take him for about 5 million, talented player but lacks consistency[/quote]

here''s the article.   There''s been about 10million tweets about it on Liverpool pages.   http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/405829/Norwich-want-Liverpool-s-8m-rated-Jonjo-Shelvey

Worth every penny in my opinion. Start of the season he was their best midfielder then Coutinho pushed him out of the side.. which is nothing to be ashamed of.

At that age he will still improve, I honestly think he will be an England regular in years to come.

[quote user="Pabs"]Who is saying? I would take him for about 5 million, talented player but lacks consistency[/quote]

I can''t believe you think he is a talented player...and 5 MILLION...what''s all that about? I know you''re entitled to an opinion but do you really see talent in this player?...He would be lucky to establish himself as an average player in the Championship!   If this is true then I firmly believe we are going back to the dark old days at Carrow Road signing absolute dross and will probably and deservedly be one of the favourites for the dreaded drop next season!  I just hope that this story has been hashed up by agents trying their hardest to drum up interest in their own player and Liverpool trying to cash in and retrieve some of their squandered money they paid for Carroll!   If it''s true...then come on Hughton and your team of talent scout''s it''s about time you got your passport''s out and started to do some real due diligence and scouted for real quality and value for money on the continent! You have already pulled a master stroke and convinced a promising young talent into the club, now...show a bit of respect and loyalty towards him and sign some real talent to not only help him out but to ensure we are a true force for next season! 

I can see the logic in signing him in that many successful teams this year have had a "heavy" scorer from central midfield rather than solely relying on strikers/forwards to get the goals.  Shelvey obviously has an eye for goal, gets forward well and isn''t afraid to shoot.  Unfortunately his shooting makes Bradley Johnson look like Gareth Bale, and his passing makes, um, Bradley Johnson look like, er, Gareth Bale.

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]I can see the logic in signing him in that many successful teams this year have had a "heavy" scorer from central midfield rather than solely relying on strikers/forwards to get the goals.  Shelvey obviously has an eye for goal, gets forward well and isn''t afraid to shoot.  Unfortunately his shooting makes Bradley Johnson look like Gareth Bale, and his passing makes, um, Bradley Johnson look like, er, Gareth Bale.[/quote]And Gareth Bale looks like a chimp..... [;)][:O][:$][A]

Wow look at us saying a player capped by England at a very young age isn''t good enough. It wasn''t long ago we signed Fotheringham and Hughes in midfield.

The guy''s scored goals in Europe and in his day is unstoppable on his day.

Fine, his day doesn''t arrive to often, but he''s young and learning. I do feel 8 mill is waaaay too much, I agree 5 mill is more realistic.

Two points though, since when can we suddenly sign more than one player above our record in one window? And who would he replace, I mean is he better than Howson, or Hoolahan, or Johnson, or Tettey?

[quote user="Jonzey"]

The guy''s scored goals in Europe and in his day is unstoppable on his day. [/quote]Efan Ekoku scored goals in Europe and in his day was unstoppable on his day, but we need better than that now.

Sorry Jonezy but it was an age, a whole different era, ago we were signing crap like Fozzie and Hooooze. We''re coming up to our third season in the Prem we can now be allowed to be more ambitious in which player we sign.

I have mixed feelings about Shelvey. He certainly fits the ''total'' football'' role for the modern game and he is also versatile, being able to play AM, CM or even wide left with the ability to track back and support the defense. IMO, a loan would make sense leaving some room for change if it doesn''t work out, and for another ''marquee'' signing in mid-field this summer. I wouldn''t be happy spending £5-7m on Shelvey though.

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"][quote user="Jonzey"]

The guy''s scored goals in Europe and in his day is unstoppable on his day. [/quote]Efan Ekoku scored goals in Europe and in his day was unstoppable on his day, but we need better than that now.[/quote]Firstly Efan Ekoku was a very good forward, I was pretty disappointed when The Chief was sold off. He was part of a team even better than what we have now.Secondly, I think Shelvey has enormous potential. You have to remember he''s only just turned 21 and is still developing. 8 million is a laughable amount, but get him for a decent fee and give him a run in the team like Liverpool never have and I feel the guy could be immense for us.

[quote user="Herman "]Sorry Jonezy but it was an age, a whole different era, ago we were signing crap like Fozzie and Hooooze. We''re coming up to our third season in the Prem we can now be allowed to be more ambitious in which player we sign.[/quote]I agree, times have changed hugely. I was making the point that some people are saying an England international level player who''s scored goals in Europe isn''t good enough for us. We''d have killed for this guy three years ago. (Btw, it''s spelt Jonzey)

Haha, apologies. I thought I double checked.

I do agree that 8 is far too much. Young British players are being over-priced out of the game.

I''m amazed that Liverpool would let him go, 8m.....snap their hand off I say....high potential and as he developes will have less bad days. As for Efan.....I remember him as being frustratingly inconsistent, almost unplayable one week and then several where he just wasnt at the races....... but his unplayable games were special I must add.

A player cast of the exact mould our midfield is crying out for - genuinely box-to-box.

Strong in the challenge, technically endowed and a great passer of the ball.

He''s a brighter prospect than Bradley Johnson and a better player already. He blows Tettey out the water.

£8mil though, really? Would absolutely love him on loan.

I would happily snap Liverpools arm off for that price. Worth every penny imo. Remember he came onto the scene as a 16 year old in a very strong youth set up at Charlton. He joined Liverpool aged 18 and last season was rewarded with a new long-term contract. He covered for Gerrard when he was injured and Liverpool played some really good stuff with him in the side. I can only see them letting him go for a large fee with the view of getting greater defensive cover now Carragher has retired.
He also made his first international appearance for England. Something not a lot of current city players can say they''ve done. So all round I believe he has real potential!!

We would be paying for potential, but there''s clearly not enough at the moment for Liverpool having picked him so little this season, and this season with Gerrard''s injury has not been very special for Liverpool.

Perhaps a bet on £4-£5, but not more.

Can''t say I''ve been too impressed with him whenever I''ve watched Liverpool and England U21 but if Hughton thinks he will fit well then I trust him ... his transfer dealings so far have been excellent.

He has still made 33 appearances this year for liverpool and scored 5.

Has also been in two of the England squads for World Cup qualification matches.

He also still holds the record for Charlton''s youngest scorer aged 16 against no other than our beloved Norwich City.

£8m would put him on a similar level to RvW and I can''t see that for a still unproven player at PL level. I would prefer to see a loan deal and then decide.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I can''t see that for a still unproven player at PL level.[/quote]

Surely RVW is also an unproven player at premierleague level. Shelvey has bags of potential and i think we should be investing in the future of this club. Not just getting "proven" PL players mate.

Jesus haven''t we already invested in the future

Ruddy, Ryan Bennett, Howson, e Bennett, pilky, Johnson.

For me I think he is a tidy player who will excel in years to come if he develops in this manner, I do think there are better players out there in Europe for less £££ but he could come in and do a good job, of course he could.

I do think van ginkel is a player who is performing now and rvw again is not at the peak of his career but he is a top grade European striker and will fit in, class will show in a team of hard workers. I am very excited about him and other European based players who are performing at the highest levels.

We have good young British talent (forgot snoddy) and we can build with more senior proven players or European starlets who will take us to another level.