Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

Ola Toivonen

I suspect this will come to a head in the next few days.It is very possible that he will decide to go elsewhere. He will be a top signing if we get him and i very much hope we do

We may have agreed that we would sign some players to accommodate him and he is waiting for that to happen before committing to the club, a bit like RVW.

I think it''s likely we have got him and are simply waiting for him to end his holiday, jump in a plane and sign on the dotted line. There haven''t really been any other rumblings since our accosted bid and any potential bidding war hasn''t appeared to have started. He wants a sign of ambition, then the signing of RVW and himself should be indication enough!

[quote user="birchfest"]I think it''s likely we have got him and are simply waiting for him to end his holiday, jump in a plane and sign on the dotted line. There haven''t really been any other rumblings since our accosted bid and any potential bidding war hasn''t appeared to have started. He wants a sign of ambition, then the signing of RVW and himself should be indication enough![/quote]

If he was convinced about signing for Norwich he wouldn''t let something like a holiday get in his way. The only reason to delay is in the hope other teams make he some offers, think there is a way to run on the Toivonen story yet.

With the greatest of respect these guys are professional sportsmen with a very limited window of being able to take a holiday. If I had booked

a family holiday I wouldn''t change it to discuss another job (that I might not be able to agree terms on) I would however probably be available on the telephone to discuss potential terms and agree (or disagree to the concept of a visit to sign or discuss further)

The fact that there are no further rumours is surely a good thing in favour of him coming, if he specifically wanted to go elsewhere you can imagine his agent would be spreading stories all over the place.

I hope we get him and I hope he does the business, definitely the type of player we need to be both solid and attacking at the same time.

I suspect that if we have had a bid accepted then we''ve already agreed most of his personal terms with his agent.

I suspect also that following acceptance of the bid Hughton has probably had some contact with him over the phone whilst he''s been away.

I suspect the last bit of the jigsaw is for him to come to Norwich after his holiday has finished, view the facilities and have further discussions with Hoot to get a feel for the place, If he likes it he will do a medical and sign. if not he will probably look at his other options. Its interesting through that as commented above nobody else is reported as having had a bid accepted so it seems possible that this rumoured bidding war may not come to fruition!

I''m very excited for this player, got my fingers firmly crossed! Would add something new to the squad and seems like the perfect player to play behind RVW

[quote user="Tak"]

[quote user="birchfest"]I think it''s likely we have got him and are simply waiting for him to end his holiday, jump in a plane and sign on the dotted line. There haven''t really been any other rumblings since our accosted bid and any potential bidding war hasn''t appeared to have started. He wants a sign of ambition, then the signing of RVW and himself should be indication enough![/quote]

If he was convinced about signing for Norwich he wouldn''t let something like a holiday get in his way. The only reason to delay is in the hope other teams make he some offers, think there is a way to run on the Toivonen story yet.

[/quote]not true. he would leave all the negotiations to his agent who would keep him informed on the latest situation, so that he could return from holiday and finalise the deal.

Update!

PSV Journo

Cocu takes into account departures from Toivonen #PSV . He is still in talks with #Norwich.

So Toivonen is in talks with us. As Philip Cocu has said. Good news I think! Things are progressing well.

I should have put the first sentence in quotes, I apologise. The last sentence is what I make of it!

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Dr. Ink"]

Tweet from Toivonen''s agent today...

@bart_hoffman34s 

"Geen ontwikkelingen nu, over een aantal dagen meer." "No developments now, in a few days more."

[/quote]

Quote from Holt''s agent today : 

"Eee''s rahht oop north at t''moment, on t''oliday wit t''kids so nowt t''report." -  He''s staying at Norwich, no problem.

[/quote]Ha! [:D]

If Toivonen ends up signing for us it''ll be the final nail for Nursey''s credibility as a source of ''ITK'' NCFC news.

Cocu said according to Rik Elfrink:

"I think Toivonen will join Norwich. He''s still talking with the club"

(https://twitter.com/RikElfrink)

I think he only said he expects him to leave PSV, and that we''re still talking.Google transmutation: "Cocu takes into account departures # Toivonen from PSV. He is still in talks with # Norwich."

"Cocu houdt rekening met vertrek van Toivonen van . Hij is nog altijd in gesprek met "

Well, that is not how the above Twitter comment by Elfrink translates, which I guess is what you are referring to.

It translates as "Cocu is assuming Toivonen''s departure from PS. He is still in talks with Norwich"

"houdt rekening me" means anything from "expecting" to the very vague "planning for" or "assuming". But nothing as definite as "I think Toivonen will join Norwich".

Im 95% certain there was one from Elfrink that has since been deleted saying " COCU: ''I think Toivonen will join Norwich. He''s still talking with the club'' " - Im not 100% sure though, it may have been a PSV fan Twitter exaggerating the aforementioned comment where I saw that quote.

[quote user="Lets be aving you"]

"Cocu houdt rekening met vertrek van Toivonen van . Hij is nog altijd in gesprek met "

Well, that is not how the above Twitter comment by Elfrink translates, which I guess is what you are referring to.

It translates as "Cocu is assuming Toivonen''s departure from PS. He is still in talks with Norwich"

"houdt rekening me" means anything from "expecting" to the very vague "planning for" or "assuming". But nothing as definite as "I think Toivonen will join Norwich".

[/quote]

This may have been mentioned before, but Cocu was the star of the Vitesse Arnhem team we beat in our first European tie. So he at least knows about us.

[quote user="Lets be aving you"]

With a name like that, Cocu will probably want to avoid the French leagues.

[/quote]

Well, the similar-sounding French word that springs to my mind is "coucou", which is simply a cheery way of saying "hullo" or "hi there" and is not at all smuttily suggestive. But perhaps I have an exceptionally clean mind and am missing something obvious.

A first, I know, but for once I wasn''t being even vaguely smutty. ''Cocu'' means ''cuckold'', ''deceived husband'' and, by extension, ''sucker''.

"Va donc eh cocu" = "Get lost, sucker"

The derivation of cocu/cuckold is clearly from poor old cuckoos, whose habits clearly have a lot to answer for!

Good. I don''t want him if we are not good enough for him. Average player with a big ego is my suspicion. The Swedes certainly don''t rate him.

[quote user="ncfc2012"]toivonen has rejected the move according to PSV reporter on twitter[/quote]

A shame if true. Less than £5m is a bargain price for someone who has only just turned 27, has scored a goal every other game mainly from midfield in a decent league, has 34 caps and six goals for a decent international team, plus experience of a major international tournament, looks exactly the kind of player who would cope with the physical challenges of English football, has the (particularly for us) significant advantage of being able to play in various positions, giving tactical flexibility from game to game and within a game, and who from his only two public statements on the subject (as opposed to fans'' interpretive imaginings) has appeared to be a well-balanced and sane individual who tries to have a life outside football but knows the significance of his next move, and probably realises the season doesn''t start for more than five weeks. Sadly all the above makes him also attractive to other clubs.

So attractive that he has no other offers. Matty Svensson was interviewed about Olsson and mentioned that he didn''t think Toivonen would cut it in the Prem.

No great loss for that sort of cash.

Sounds to me like he''s the Dutch Prems version of Joey Barton - be very surprised if we see this bloke at Carrow Rd anytime soon.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="ncfc2012"]toivonen has rejected the move according to PSV reporter on twitter[/quote]

A shame if true. Less than £5m is a bargain price for someone who has only just turned 27, has scored a goal every other game mainly from midfield in a decent league, has 34 caps and six goals for a decent international team, plus experience of a major international tournament, looks exactly the kind of player who would cope with the physical challenges of English football, has the (particularly for us) significant advantage of being able to play in various positions, giving tactical flexibility from game to game and within a game, and who from his only two public statements on the subject (as opposed to fans'' interpretive imaginings) has appeared to be a well-balanced and sane individual who tries to have a life outside football but knows the significance of his next move, and probably realises the season doesn''t start for more than five weeks. Sadly all the above makes him also attractive to other clubs.

[/quote]
I agree 100% Purple. This guy seemed like the perfect upgrade on Holt, he may just be waiting for a better offer from us or somewhere else.
I can''t believe the arrogance of some Norwich fans on here. Toivonen would be a huge signing and i doubt he has ever heard of Norwich, you can''t exactly blame him for having reservations, especially considering he wants to join a team who play swift passing football, if he did any research on us our form from the second half of the season may well have put him off.

[quote user="Alex "]Sounds to me like he''s the Dutch Prems version of Joey Barton - be very surprised if we see this bloke at Carrow Rd anytime soon.[/quote]What, in particular, gives you that impression?

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]
I agree 100% Purple. This guy seemed like the perfect upgrade on Holt, he may just be waiting for a better offer from us or somewhere else.
I can''t believe the arrogance of some Norwich fans on here. Toivonen would be a huge signing and i doubt he has ever heard of Norwich, you can''t exactly blame him for having reservations, especially considering he wants to join a team who play swift passing football, if he did any research on us our form from the second half of the season may well have put him off.
[/quote]

Yeah, cos any research would only have shown last season that as a team in transition under a new manager we only finished 11th, but along the way we beat man utd, arsenal, man city to name 3.