Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

Ola Toivonen

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

Anyone know the latest on Toivonen?

I see he''s made a few substitute appearances in the League, but hasn''t featured in the CL. Wonder if he''ll still be at PSV on Tuesday?

[/quote]

His agent said Toivonen is quite prepared to stay at PSV this season and see out his contract.

As he turned down Norwich once, I can''t see him changing his mind.

Could be this seasons Michu. Would be really happy with this signing but I get the impression Elmander''s signing closed the door on this one. Toivonen or Sigurdsson would definitely add goals from midfield to our squad. Quality signings both of them, we can hope.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

I see he''s made a few substitute appearances in the League, but hasn''t featured in the CL. Wonder if he''ll still be at PSV on Tuesday?

[/quote]

His agent said Toivonen is quite prepared to stay at PSV this season and see out his contract.

[/quote]

Didn''t he already do a bit of a U-turn and say he hadn''t ruled us out? I thought it was us who had drawn a line under the saga? Just curious as to whether we might go back in for him, unless Elmander has been brought in to be first choice in that position?

To be honest, we seem to have got the guy one place ahead of him in his national side.

Obviously there are other factors involved, but I''m strangely optimistic about Elmander. After a big summer of hefty expectation he could be exactly what we need.

I like the Elmander signing, but he is a striker. 4-4-1-1 might work with him playing in behind, but it''d be nice to have a new AM. Maybe we can get one who can cover the right mid as a secondary position, negating the need to cover Elliot Bennett with a loan move. It''d be a nice way to blend a new guy into the squad too.

At first when Elmander signed I thought it might open the door for Toivonen. But they play in similar roles, it just wouldn''t make sense. I think we can all draw a line under this now.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Didn''t he already do a bit of a U-turn and say he hadn''t ruled us out? I thought it was us who had drawn a line under the saga? Just curious as to whether we might go back in for him, unless Elmander has been brought in to be first choice in that position?

[/quote]

He never publicly turned us down so I am not sure it was a U-turn. In fact he did at the outset express interest in joining us, albeit in a less effusive fashion than some posters would have liked. And we have not publicly ended our interest, although in effect we may have. The only hard fact, via PSV, is that we bid close to £5m for him, and I haven''t see that PSV have announced that the bid has been withdrawn.As others have said, though, I doubt we are still keen. I suspect a great deal of the attraction for us of Toivonen was his versatility, including being able to play as a target man and fill ther gap left by a declining Holt. It looks as if Elmander can do that for a season.

Nicko wrote the following post at 30/08/2013 11:56 AM:

"At first when Elmander signed I thought it might open the door for Toivonen. But they play in similar roles... "

But they don''t though. Elmander plays CF for Sweden and has done for most of his Clubs. Ibrahamovic plays the AM/SS for Sweden so it''s him keeping Toivonen on their National Team''s bench. However, given the words of CH and Elmander recently I would guess the plan is for him to play the SS role behind RvW or Hooper, I suppose we will find out soon enough.

Sounds like he is staying, "PSV needs me" or some rubbish, said there is no options for moving and PSV have a couple of injuries meaning he''ll be needed.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

He never publicly turned us down so I am not sure it was a U-turn. In fact he did at the outset express interest in joining us, albeit in a less effusive fashion than some posters would have liked. And we have not publicly ended our interest, although in effect we may have. The only hard fact, via PSV, is that we bid close to £5m for him, and I haven''t see that PSV have announced that the bid has been withdrawn.As others have said, though, I doubt we are still keen. I suspect a great deal of the attraction for us of Toivonen was his versatility, including being able to play as a target man and fill ther gap left by a declining Holt. It looks as if Elmander can do that for a season.

[/quote]As it happens Elmander was plainly too far over the hill. With a five years younger Toivonen we would have had a much better chance of staying up, tactics permitting.