Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

Ola Toivonen

Looks like a great player but looking at twitter and on here I am a bit concerned about his attitude.

Hope we sign him but his attitude won''t be a problem.

Being compared to Joey Barton is a bit concerning for me IMO.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Happens fairly regularly - if WBA, Fulham or who ever else wants Toivonen and don''t want him signing for a Premier League rival they will have to make a bid, PSV don''t have to accept exactly the same bid from different teams - if they are confident the other teams really want the player the price for coming to the negotiations late might be £5m.

R

Footballers are each a unique product, sure some are comparable, but if someone wants that specific player they won''t walk away so easily. PSV have now forced the hands of other interested clubs and are in the situation of knowing even if they ask for £5m+ and WBA (for example) think it''s too high, they are safe in the knowledge a £4.7m has been accepted.[/quote]

It would be amsuing if there was a bidding war of that sort, given that Toivonen was complaining that the price PSV wanted (presumably what we have offered) was too high!Myself I doubt we will get him. It would be a real coup if we did. Not because he is a genius player. He is not at that level. But because we were able to attract him in the face of competition (it seems certain there is) from other PL clubs. It would be an indication of our current status in the game.

[/quote]

Well if we are going to progress as a club in the way we hope then we will have to be able to fend off competition from the likes of Fulham and WBA sooner or llater of there is no point being in this league so it will be interesting to see if we get our man here. Neither are bigger clubs than us and i cant believe either of them will be offering substantially more wage wise. Could of course also be a stalking horse to smoke out Celtic over Hooper.[/quote]

Yep I agree. And when you factor in potential I see norwich being a bigger more successful club than Fulham and WBA.

We''ve got a large fan base and with no serious competion for miles we could grow this fanbase to the majority of east anglia. We certainly would take all the "floating" fans.

In the postion the club currently finds itself in, it would take serious incompetence for us not to realise this potential. We need to start beating teams for players. I''ve no doubt we beat other clubs for RVW and I''ve confidence we will get this guy if we want him. I also believe hooper is desperate to come here and has already ruled out other clubs.[/quote]

I think that is questionable, certainly in the short- to medium-term. Finance isn''t everything but it is a major factor. The trouble is that the latest available figures are two years out of date in terms of next season, but in 2011-12 our wage bill was £37m on turnover of £75m, WBA''s was £50m on turnover of £67m, and Fulham''s was £62m on turnover of £79m.I imagine the figures for the season just gone will show us having moved towards those kinds of wage bills and that the season to come will continue that trend. But I suspect all that will mean is that we have a chance of competing with those kinds of clubs when it comes to attracting players. Not that we can offer better terms.

[quote user="Bws Cat "]Looks like a great player but looking at twitter and on here I am a bit concerned about his attitude.

Being compared to Joey Barton is a bit concerning for me IMO.[/quote]1 yellow card in 17 starts last season.Holty gets more in a month

As previously mentioned on this thread, its a bit harsh to compare him to Joey Barton, as well as King and Suarez just because a couple of people on twitter say it.

[quote user="Bws Cat "]Good to know Ricardo.

Wonder where it all comes from then? The rumours that is.[/quote]Looks like he''s a big unit who puts himself about like Holty. There''s absolutely no evidence to put him in the same bracket as a thug like Barton.

A younger, better version of Holt. Yes please.

I still see Holt having a big role though, even if Ola and Hooper join, you need 4 quality strikers in this league.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Bws Cat "]Looks like a great player but looking at twitter and on here I am a bit concerned about his attitude.

Being compared to Joey Barton is a bit concerning for me IMO.[/quote]1 yellow card in 17 starts last season.Holty gets more in a month[/quote]

You can find any crazy opinion unsupported by anything resembling a fact on the internet. The earth is flat, Elvis is not dead, the Tories are doing a good job of running the country...Toivonen''s career figures over 228 games are 18 yellows and one straight red. Holt''s figures for his last 200 games are 42 yellows, one yell-red and two straight reds. Barton''s over 252 games are 63 yellows, a yellow-red and four straight reds. Toivonen seems angelic compared with those two bruisers.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Bws Cat "]Looks like a great player but looking at twitter and on here I am a bit concerned about his attitude.

Being compared to Joey Barton is a bit concerning for me IMO.[/quote]1 yellow card in 17 starts last season.Holty gets more in a month[/quote]

You can find any crazy opinion unsupported by anything resembling a fact on the internet. The earth is flat, Elvis is not dead, the Tories are doing a good job of running the country...Toivonen''s career figures over 228 games are 18 yellows and one straight red. Holt''s figures for his last 200 games are 42 yellows, one yell-red and two straight reds. Barton''s over 252 games are 63 yellows, a yellow-red and four straight reds. Toivonen seems angelic compared with those two bruisers.

[/quote]Or Dutch and Swedish referees consider dismemberment a yellow card offence.

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]Or Dutch and Swedish referees consider dismemberment a yellow card offence.[/quote]
Perhaps! Although i think the prem has the most lenient refs, hence why we almost always got the extra European spot for fair play

Add to that younger and a fully fledged international

I seem to recall it is down to the club to accept the offer and I would imagine gassumping is common place. Why try to do business with a number of clubs at the same time ? I think it is down to the player to agree terms once a fee is agreed. The player can decline a move leaving the club to consider other bids, or if they receive a higher bid they can allow the player too speak to others.

How do you think we Ryan Bennett at the last minute ?

What was in it for Posh ?

Where he goes is down to  number of factors including wages , likelihood of games, how well the club is sold.

He seems a good fit for us and the formation we prefer to play but time will tell. 

not to say he doesn''t have a choice, because he obviously does, but it is risky business for him to reject us.

if he says no to try and make PSV negotiate with other clubs, then they could follow through with their threat to bench him all season.

saying that, I''d only want a player who wants to be here. and mcnally, hughton, etc, are awesome salesman. we are becoming very ambitious, 8.5m on a striker, 5m on a versatile forward, with reports of van ginkel and others. we may look like good prospects to players.

I still don''t see any other interest in Toivenon other than speculative journalism in the Mirror and the People, neither of which has been followed up with any action. It may be that City having an offer accepted may spur other clubs into action, but there is no sign of it yet.

On the attitude/behaviour issue, when Toivenon was scythed down in a yellow card incident, he didn''t play act or seek retribution afterwards like some do. He got up and got on with it. I''ll take actions over Twitter comments any day!

[quote user="Norwich or die tryin"][quote user="Jonzey"]. Anyone remember the excitment surrounding the loan arrivals of Gow and Killen? It was only 2009! < [/quote]

No, because that didn''t happen. There was no excitement over Killen.[/quote]I remember the excitement amongst Norwich fans when Killen f***ed off!

Hate to put a fbit of a downer on this but a friend who is aSwedish Norwich fan is horrified by the propect of signing Toivenen, says he is a weak player & is not up to PL. And before I''m shouted down that is roughly what Matt Svensson tweeted this afternoon

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]Hate to put a fbit of a downer on this but a friend who is aSwedish Norwich fan is horrified by the propect of signing Toivenen, says he is a weak player & is not up to PL. And before I''m shouted down that is roughly what Matt Svensson tweeted this afternoon[/quote]Yet he has played for the Swedish national team at all levels up to full international on 74 occasions and scored 25 goals.Hardly to kind of stats that support your post are they?Or does Sweden have a particularly poor set of players at the moment?

Just found this on Liverpool forum strangely :D

Imonfire

Forum Member

I don''t care if anyone tries to ridicule me on here, but as I said a while ago, Norwich will be the dark horse this season, I expect them to put up a good challenge for a similar position to us - 6th-8th.

On the verge of signing Ola Toivonen now for a dirt cheap price of 4.7m.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Year of the tiger"]Hate to put a fbit of a downer on this but a friend who is aSwedish Norwich fan is horrified by the propect of signing Toivenen, says he is a weak player & is not up to PL. And before I''m shouted down that is roughly what Matt Svensson tweeted this afternoon[/quote]Yet he has played for the Swedish national team at all levels up to full international on 74 occasions and scored 25 goals.Hardly to kind of stats that support your post are they?Or does Sweden have a particularly poor set of players at the moment?[/quote]

I don''t think it is anything like as good a team as they had in the 1990s and the early 2000s.  Certainly not based on how they''re doing in their World Cup qualifying group, in which they might have been expected to be comfortably second behind Germany. But Toivonen''s record is not that of a bad player.

Don''t shoot the messenger Richardo I am only saying what my mate said in his message & Matty Svensson''s tweet was hardly a ringing endorsement. I''ve never seen Ola play & I was very impressed by the stats. Hope its just a couple of biased opinions, after all Trappatoni didn''t rate Wessi did he

Agreeing a fee for the player is not the same as signing him though. I still believe our main target is Hooper and if we can pull that off this one may fall by the wayside. Alternatively the player may not want to join us.

Matt Svensson was hardly a mega success in the PL or internationally (or anywhere, tbh!) so not sure what his judgement is like on others. The fact that Fulham, Everton and WBA are strongly interested is a far better guide that this lad has ''something'' about him.