Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

Ola Toivonen

The Expressen reporter who broke this story seems to think Toivonen will start up front with Ibrahimovic against the Faroe Islands this evening.

Football365 transfer blog has a tweet from someone called JongaJaonga that a deal has been done in pricipal between the two clubs

[quote user="PKC"]Football365 transfer blog has a tweet from someone called JongaJaonga that a deal has been done in pricipal between the two clubs[/quote]

That may be true, but the real question may be where Toivonen wants to go. Fulham are apparently very keen as well. This from a couple of days ago:Fulham are closing in on the signing of PSV Eindhoven striker Ola Toivonen, writes the Sunday People''s Dave Kidd. The Swedish international is leaving his Dutch club after a contract dispute and Fulham are confident they can secure his signature. Craven Cottage boss Martin Jol has been told he must work inside tight budgetary constraints this summer , while needing to give major surgery to his squad. So the 26-year-old Toivonen, who is available for around £2million, fits the bill for Jol. Fulham have released striker Mladen Petric and need to bolster their attacking options. Toivonen has netted 59 goals in 129 league matches for PSV and has been capped 33 times by Sweden. The attacker can operate as a target man, a second striker or as an attacking midfielder.That gives a lower price - £2m - than the £4m we are supposed to be willing to pay. £2m actually sounds too cheap and £4m a more realistic price. It would be odd if Fulham are more tightly constrained in budget terms than we are!

[quote user="Lets be aving you"]Unusual to see canaries swooping.[/quote]

Perhaps they hope it will make him cheep.......

EDP all over this now. shove your hooper up your ass, 59 goals in 129 matches is absolutely insane.

he is a unit as well

sadly spells he end of Holty if we get him though :(

[quote user="Snoddys Jockstrap"]

he is a unit as well

sadly spells he end of Holty if we get him though :([/quote]I''m not sure it does, and I hope it doesn''t. He''s a big lad but he''s not an out and out target man like Holt, I think he''s more likely to be deployed behind the striker.

Looks very handy from a few videos. A big unit, good in the air and can score goals as an attacking midfielder/striker, so just what we need.

But Purple has made a good point, which was also made in the Dutch report quoted earlier: "Of Toivonen interesse heeft in de transfer naar de Engelse middenmoter is nog niet duidelijk. Er zijn namelijk meerdere gegadigden voor de kopsterke international van Zweden."

Which translates as:

"It is not yet clear whether Toivonen is interested in a transfer to the mid-table English club. After all, there are several clubs interested in the strong-in-the-air Swedish international."

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Jut been reading about this guy and please god no!!

Apparently the joey Barton of the Dutch league, constantly arguing with refs and players etc.

most hated player in the Dutch league apparently and dives very often.[/quote]
Something Snoddy and Holty would never do!
Sounds as though he plays with a bit of passion - that''s a plus for me.
However lets not start counting chickens!

Just checked him out on U Tube and he''s GH''s Finnish twin. He clearly winds people up, judging by the 2 handed pushes in the chest from defenders. And the goal where he takes out the defender off the ball to get a clean run on the cross is quality. My favourite was the shot from 35 yards that was so powerful it went through the keeper like a cannonball. Difficult to tell from a couple of mins of clips, but if it''s a accurate reflection of what he can do I''d have him ahead of Hooper.

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"][quote user="Snoddys Jockstrap"]

he is a unit as well

sadly spells he end of Holty if we get him though :([/quote]I''m not sure it does, and I hope it doesn''t. He''s a big lad but he''s not an out and out target man like Holt, I think he''s more likely to be deployed behind the striker.[/quote]
At first i assumed it meant the end for either Holt or Becchio as a signing like this would mean 3 big, strong forwards and then RVW. If we were to play 1 striker for the majority of the season it''s hard to see how 3 big strikers can fit into a team. However, as Dandy points out, it seems Ola is more than a striker, having the ability to play wide and in the hole. Now if this is the case, we could see him deployed fundamentally behind Holt/RVW, rather than as the lone striker, allowing us space for Holt and Becchio in the squad.
I personally think if we do sign this guy then I would look to ship out Holt/Becchio (personally Holt for me due to his age) and still bring in another pacey striker, or give Vaughan another go.

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Jut been reading about this guy and please god no!! Apparently the joey Barton of the Dutch league, constantly arguing with refs and players etc. most hated player in the Dutch league apparently and dives very often.[/quote]

Please God! Do you believe everything you read? Apparently, some people do.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XIPZXteFZP4&feature=related

Looks a bit of a tw@t to me.[/quote]
Looks like he has some of the same traits as Holt

Players like Holt, Suarez and perhaps Toivonen are players that opposition fans love to hate, and that is a good thing, as this players are usually adored by their own fans for the very reasons the opposition hate them. Would be a fantastic signing at less than 5 million, Seeing as last year he would of cost double.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Mervmeister"]Jut been reading about this guy and please god no!! Apparently the joey Barton of the Dutch league, constantly arguing with refs and players etc. most hated player in the Dutch league apparently and dives very often.[/quote]

Please God! Do you believe everything you read? Apparently, some people do.

[/quote]

Or even more authoritatively, what you read on Twitter!

[quote user="lincoln canary"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XIPZXteFZP4&feature=related Looks a bit of a tw@t to me.[/quote]

As they say, I guess it takes one to know one!