Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

Ola Toivonen

Interesting. I hadn''t considered him because he is a regular for PSV and, therefore, I assumed that he wouldn''t want a move.

Just the sort of forward we are lacking. He provides power, strength and a bit of pace (Kei Kamara replacement).

If that price tag is accurate, it represents tremendous value for money - he''s highly thought of, versatile, with a good strike rate.

Swedish international

Link in swedish

http://www.expressen.se/sport/fotboll/premier-league/norwich-ger-sig-in-i-kampen-om-toivonen/

Never heard of him personally. But wiki''d him and seems like an attacking midfielder who can certainly chip in with assists and goals. Whether he can perform on the elite stage in the Premier League is unknown but an exciting possibility.

At 26 he''s a good age, looks strong and is another target at set pieces at 6''2.5".

Plays for PSV so good pedigree you''d hope. Striker or attacking midfielder so fills two roles.

Not seen him play but if true would possibly be a reasonable gamble. I wonder if he is pacey.

A quick scoot about seems to suggest Fulham or WBA as possible destinations for him - suggests he is decent enough, I didnt see us mentioned but you never know.

Benfica paid €9m rising to €12m on Ola John only last year, they''re not going to sell him off now unless they get some ridiculous offer for him.

Fulham, Everton and West Brom interested as well as us. Apparently he has a year left on his contract and PSV are threatening to ship him out to the B team if he does not sign a new contract/extension.

Lot of interest from teams similar to ourselves.

But puts hooper in to perspective certainly if Celtic value him well over 5-6 million.

Hmmm.

Everton, West Brom, Fulham and us.

Interesting. I''d almost rule out Everton as in some ways they will probably be hunting for a better out and out striker I would imagine.

Fulham and West Brom are more believable but is there any more news on Jol yet? There was talk that he wasn''t going to stay at Fulham.

In a way, this is the sort of play I''d hope we''d be in for. Capable of play making, hitting shots from distance and getting into the box to get on the end of things. With a touch of pace as well - judging by the various youtube clips anyway.

Going back to the OP, Toivonen seems to be a real possibility. Fulham and WBA have expressed interest, but according to the Swedish paper in the link above, Norwich have offered to match PSV''s £3.9m offer for the player. He is pacey, tall, scores regularly (59 goals in 125 matches for PSV) and can play either AM or as a striker, as can RvW - what a combination they might make!

Norwich is entering the battle for Toivonen

Norwich is now moving into the struggle concerning the Swedish national team star Ola Toivonen.

The English data to SportExpressen.se the Premier League club prepared to match PSV Eindhoven''s price tag of about 40 million Swedish kronor.

- The Premier League is interesting, says Ola Toivonen.

It was the day that English media reported that Everton and West Bromwich shown interest in Swedish national team star Ola Toivonen, who has one year left on his contract with PSV Eindhoven.

Right now, the Swede got into a fight with the club, because PSV is threatening to send Toivonen to the B team if he does not renew his contract.

Something that the player himself says is not relevant.

Can cost 40 million

But now, one solution could be in the works.

Besides Fulham, Everton and West Bromwich is now moving Norwich into the struggle concerning the Swede.

This according to informed subjective data to SportExpressen.se.

Coach Chris Hougton will be keen to involve Swede and Norwich should be prepared to match PSV Eindhoven''s price tag, which, according to Dutch Votebal International is around 40 million Swedish kronor.

Opened for PL

Toivonen also opened for play in the Premier League last week.

- It is always interesting.

Is there a league that would have suited you?

- I do not know, hard to say. It depends on which team you come to. There are teams who like to play long balls and those who like to play by the ground.

You prefer the latter?

- Yes.

Roughly translated article

Toivonen has literaly been in shadow of Slatan in national team and have had to play even as a winger there.

Decent player, but his not too clinical which might frustrate our fans as it has not been one or two times he have missed tap ins ^^ Great player with head and quite versatile.

4 millions from him sounds a decent sum for making depth for two spots.

Jut been reading about this guy and please god no!!

Apparently the joey Barton of the Dutch league, constantly arguing with refs and players etc.

most hated player in the Dutch league apparently and dives very often.

Mervmeister: Yeah, I''m finding that out myself.

Strangely enough, though, I''m not too worried. Whereas, under our previous manager, that kind of thing would worry me, under Hoots it doesn''t.

Look what Hughton did with the aforementioned Joey Barton. He got his head down, got him working, kept him focused and made him effective - and Barton, whilst always having an edge, did not go off the rails as he normally does. Hughton rebuilt his career, in fact. Similar could be said for Marlon King.

If we were to sign Toivonen, I trust Hughton to get the best out of him and keep him steady.

I know nothing about his attitudes and possible trouble making, but having seen a UTube of some of his goals, he looks decidedly useful - quick and strong (no-one will knock him off the ball), very good with his head and a powerful shot. If he can tackle and pass the ball accurately, sign him!

Though his favoured position is as a second striker (called a ''shadow striker'' in Sweden), he also plays as an ACM or on the LW in the style of Pilks. Though he''s 6''3" tall and can head the ball well, he prefers the ball at his feet so he can attack with pace. As for his attitude, he only had two yellow cards and no reds in 19 games last season. I would also doubt that he''d get 33 caps for Sweden by the age of 26 if he had attitude problems. He has more versatility than Hooper, but I''d be happy with either player.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Though his favoured position is as a second striker (called a ''shadow striker'' in Sweden), he also plays as an ACM or on the LW in the style of Pilks. Though he''s 6''3" tall and can head the ball well, he prefers the ball at his feet so he can attack with pace. As for his attitude, he only had two yellow cards and no reds in 19 games last season. I would also doubt that he''d get 33 caps for Sweden by the age of 26 if he had attitude problems. He has more versatility than Hooper, but I''d be happy with either player.[/quote]I''m not convinced we''re still after Hooper, because with RVW already signed it would mean spend a significant proportion (how much is anyone''s guess) on two apparently pretty similar players. Toivonen would be a more obvious buy because of his versatility.

Could always be sending GH to Celtic as part exchange for Hooper. Hooper is more of a team player than RVW with a better assist record but this could be due to RVW playing as a lone striker. To have options of Toivonen, Hooper and RVW up front would be pretty exciting I think.