Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Nice guys come nowhere ...

I''m trying to fathom out why we''ve got into this fix.

In my opinion we have a better squad than last year. But it''s certainly true that the team are not performing as well as last year.

I don''t believe reintroducing Fox, Simeon or whoever would have made any difference. So what is it?

Really, the only thing left is the manager. And I also don''t believe that Lambert was a tactical genius, charismatic leader etc.

What he had was arrogance. A streak that said he was better than anyone else. And he managed to convey that attitude to the whole squad.

Hughton has a genuine humble personality, someone who has a realistic appreciation of his limitations, knows how good his players are (or aren''t), tries to play the percentages to maximise the chances, is always aware of the quality of some of the players we''re up against & does his best to nullify the threat - which unfortunately often nullifies ours.

His strategy has almost worked, but it looks like coming apart at the finale. It''s a shame.

As far as I can tell, he''s a smashing chap. But it''s beginning to look like you only succeed with a ruthless egoist in charge. I suppose it was ever thus.

Feeling very sad right now.

But it was so predictable unfortunately. We didn''t try to win matches post-Christmas beginning with Newcastle. And then we continued these failing tactics. Those of us who travel away can testify as to quite how abject we''ve been, especially against the ''mini-league'' teams. Consequently, we lost belief and confidence going forward. All our problems stem from this.

I hoped that we might have turned the corner at Arsenal when Hughton came out with a more positive team. However, it seems that our change in approach was both too late and short-lived.

ron obvious wrote the following post at 2013-05-04 10:41 PM:

I''m trying to fathom out why we''ve got into this fix.

Thought that was obvious Ron, we have won only two games since Dec 15th under the stewardship of Mr Hughton who wishes to play with an ultra cautious defensive Gameplan - always. Goals win games, and as early as July last year it was painfully obvious TO ALL strikers were needed! We may have little debt going into next season, but at what cost?

The biggest difference for me, is that Lambert had belief in his players, all of them, he had 100% faith that when called upon, even limited squad players like Lappin would come in, and do their jobs to the best of their ability. This allowed him to use squad rotation to good effect, keeping all the players involved, motivated, and match fit. He transmitted this belief into his players and they repaid him by playing out of their skins.Hughton on the other hand, clearly has full belief in perhaps 5 or 6 of our squad, and has no faith that we are good enough to compete in this league without playing ultra defensively. The players he uses know he has no real intention of ever rotating so they have no fear of losing their place. We saw this attitude from day one when Hughton claimed that Fulham, not Man U, or Chelsea, but Fulham, were so far beyond us technically that we would not be able to compete on that basis. No disrespect to Fulham as they clearly are better than us technically, but there certainly is not so much in it that it would warrant us approaching games like that as if we are a League 2 side out for a cup upset.

[quote user="ron obvious"]I''m trying to fathom out why we''ve got into this fix.

In my opinion we have a better squad than last year. But it''s certainly true that the team are not performing as well as last year.

I don''t believe reintroducing Fox, Simeon or whoever would have made any difference. So what is it?

Really, the only thing left is the manager. And I also don''t believe that Lambert was a tactical genius, charismatic leader etc.

What he had was arrogance. A streak that said he was better than anyone else. And he managed to convey that attitude to the whole squad.

Hughton has a genuine humble personality, someone who has a realistic appreciation of his limitations, knows how good his players are (or aren''t), tries to play the percentages to maximise the chances, is always aware of the quality of some of the players we''re up against & does his best to nullify the threat - which unfortunately often nullifies ours.

His strategy has almost worked, but it looks like coming apart at the finale. It''s a shame.

As far as I can tell, he''s a smashing chap. But it''s beginning to look like you only succeed with a ruthless egoist in charge. I suppose it was ever thus.

Feeling very sad right now.[/quote]

In some areas, but last season our second highest-scoring striker (Morison) scored more than our entire strike force has managed all this season.

It''s been obvious for so long, poor management, nothing against the man, who is a gentleman and I am sure is doing his best, but unfortunately for us he is no good at his job.

PC, do you really believe Morison was a premiership quality player?

I think he''s a prime example of Lambert''s ability to instil self-belief. I doubt he''ll ever play at last season''s (well, the first 6 months) level again.

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"]

The biggest difference for me, is that Lambert had belief in his players, all of them, he had 100% faith that when called upon, even limited squad players like Lappin would come in, and do their jobs to the best of their ability. This allowed him to use squad rotation to good effect, keeping all the players involved, motivated, and match fit. He transmitted this belief into his players and they repaid him by playing out of their skins.

Hughton on the other hand, clearly has full belief in perhaps 5 or 6 of our squad, and has no faith that we are good enough to compete in this league without playing ultra defensively. The players he uses know he has no real intention of ever rotating so they have no fear of losing their place. We saw this attitude from day one when Hughton claimed that Fulham, not Man U, or Chelsea, but Fulham, were so far beyond us technically that we would not be able to compete on that basis. No disrespect to Fulham as they clearly are better than us technically, but there certainly is not so much in it that it would warrant us approaching games like that as if we are a League 2 side out for a cup upset.

[/quote]

Totally agree. I think I was more shocked by his comments after the Fulham debacle than the performance. Tired of hearing how much other teams can hurt us and how much quality they have. I''ve often wondered how his comments affect the players performance.

Put up or shut up time Mr Hughton. If we don''t see how much quality WE have and how much WE can hurt WBA we''re down. I know our players are good enough, please let them play!

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

Totally agree. I think I was more shocked by his comments after the Fulham debacle than the performance. Tired of hearing how much other teams can hurt us and how much quality they have. I''ve often wondered how his comments affect the players performance.

Put up or shut up time Mr Hughton. If we don''t see how much quality WE have and how much WE can hurt WBA we''re down. I know our players are good enough, please let them play!

[/quote]

Meant confidence. That leads to performance I guess.