Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Villa

I have tried to stay clear of all the argument on this Forum lately in the hope that results would start to calm the nerves. It was the ideal opportunity this afternoon to put the doom mongers back in their box and as City set about their task with a purpose it seemed that all would come right in the wash. Wes was thankfully restored to the line up and with Pilks operating down the left there was plenty of enterprising play as City began on the front foot. Several corners were won but were spoiled by poor delivery. Indeed it became a feature of much of City''s first half work. Decent approach play promised much but the final ball was either delayed too long or badly misplaced.At the other end there was little to worry about, Benteke seemed to have used his goal ration up against Sunderland and was generally comfortably held in check. Bunn smothered one long range effort while another from Agbonlahor flew wide. Villa seemed more than happy just to sit back hoping to catch us on the break. Snodgrass was pulled down right on the edge of the box for what seemed a great opportunity for City. Unfortunately the kick was blocked and the follow up easily saved by Guzan. Just before the break Holt ought to have done better than head Garrido''s cross over the bar but it was about as close to a goal as either side got in a blank first half.I was musing at half time that Villa were nowhere near as sharp as I had expected them to be and quit frankly it was difficult to see how they would score. Having said that, Benteke almost scored from the off although I thought he was lucky not to be pulled up for a foul. City hadn''t been particularly effective in the first half but when the second half opened they did try to up the pace. Mostly it came to nothing but Holt at least got a shot in after good movement down the right. Then on 55 minutes Agbolahor was allowed to run and bang a speculative low effort from all of 25 yards. The way our luck has been lately it didn''t shock me to see the ball nestle in the corner of the net. Coupled with the news that Wigan had equalised at West Brom there was no surprise that a sense of inevitable gloom descended over Ricardo''s head. City got ragged for a while and could have easily gone two behind then Wes was withdrawn for Kamara to a storm of booing from the Canary faithful. I thought it was the wrong move but very quickly City got back in the game from a rather soft penalty when Snoddy went down after wriggling along the goal line. Holty did what he should have done against Southampton  but Ricardo''s nerves were such that it was a case of run to the bog and stay there until the roar went up.Bennett came on for the injured Snoddy but despite huffing and puffing there were very few signs of a goal. A draw would have been o.k. but some ragged play gifted Villa the ball too often and with Wes off the field there was nobody to steady things down. With full time looming, suddenly Agbonlahor nipped in front of Bassong and slid a low shot past the advancing Bunn for a killer goal that prised away a precious point and another finger from our grasp of Premiership safety.Looking back on it you could say there was plenty of effort and decent approach play but our lack of a goal threat means that if we don''t score first we don''t look like getting anything from a game. Next Sunday I am afraid to say is "Shit or Bust" because with everyone else picking up unexpected points anything less than a maximun will mean a trip to Poorman Rd next season.

But i thought it was impossible for us to go down ricardo? You know when you worked out the fixtures/results of the teams around us in your brilliant football mind? I''m pretty sure you were adamant on that a little while ago? What''s changed?

You''re the biggest d*ck on here right now, stupid-username-I-can-barely-even-read. What was your previous username?

Always enjoy your reports, but enjoy more the ease with which you ignore the odd waft of obnoxious air that sometimes blows through from the north.

Thanks for the report Ricardo - Wasn''t at the game so much appreciated .

As for whoever your name is - go look for the nearest tree !

[quote user="jossacklandsspunkybackpack"]But i thought it was impossible for us to go down ricardo? You know when you worked out the fixtures/results of the teams around us in your brilliant football mind? I''m pretty sure you were adamant on that a little while ago? What''s changed?[/quote]You obviously equate the words, impossible and unlikely as having the same meaning. If you''d like to read again what I said you will see that I never used the word, impossible.Today''s disappointing result makes it less unlikely but by no means inevitable. A win against WBA is now pretty much a "must" because I don''t see 38 points being enough.A few weeks ago it looked like at least half a dozen teams would struggle to get 40 points but it now looks like 40 points may still not be enough.Funny old game football and still much water to flow under Trowse bridge before it''s all sorted.

Agree with most of the report. I totally disagree on the Hoolahan comment. I thought he had a desperately poor game, posed no threat and should have gone off sooner. The booing, to me, was beyond absurd.

Kamara came on and immediately looked more dangerous. Not playing 2 up top at home is too negative for me.

Hughton''s post match interviews are infuriating. He says that when you get back in the game, you should make sure you don''t lose. Well....what about trying to win.

After the Everton game he said the players wanted it, not him, but he learnt nothing from that game. Today, the only time Villa looked uncomfortable was for the few minutes after we scored. They are a young side and we should have bombarded them with pressure and really gone for it. We didn''t. Hughton doesn''t get it and I fear we are going to pay a very heavy price for his unremittingly clueless "management".

Newcastle will probably beat qpr but not Arsenal so 41 should be enough if we beat wba by the same or greater margin.

Tumbleweed, IF we can beat WBA and avoid a tonking at the Etihad. Two big IFs to add to the IF of QPR suddenly showing soem pride.