Sign in to follow this  
ARCHIEGEMMELL

Why I Think We Will Be Ok

In an attempt to try and lift the doom and gloom from over the camp...here is why I think we will just survive by the skin of our teeth.  Looking at Wigan''s remaining fixtures -SwanseaArsenalAston VillaI think it''s quite conceivable to see them winning this encounter. Swansea are a good footballing side but don''t have that much to play for and Wigan will be going into this one with a fair bit of momentum and their old self fulfilling prophesy that they can escape again winning over their minds.  I think they will lose to Arsenal and then it comes down to their last game of the season at home against a very young, inexperienced and now...very nervous Villa side...could be another three points for Wigan me thinks!Looking at Aston Villa''s remaining fixtures -ChelseaWiganI can see them losing this one..Chelsea having a bit too much quality for them and then it''s down to the roller coaster ride of Wigan away for their last game of the season.If we can beat West Brom at home and we MUST beat West Brom at home this will nestle us very nicely on 41 points...just enough to avoid the drop. I am assuming that Sunderland and Newcastle have another 3 points left in them between now and the end of the season!

Well, my worry would be that Villa will be safe by the the time of the Wigan game and Lambert throws in the towel to get us relegated. That really would not surprise me !!! 

I suspect 41 points will be needed. We MUST beat WBA next weekend.And say Villa lose to Chelsea, they will then need something from their last game if we beat Albion. Lets hope Wigan lose the next two games.At 5pm i had as down as relegated but looking at all the remaining fixtures, then i''m certain a win next weekend will be enough.Stoke, Sunderland, Newcastle, Fulham and Southampton are still not out of it.

[quote user="Raedwald"]And we won''t beat West Brom anyway. Anybody who gets past 38 points will be safe.[/quote]we''re at home ;)

So what? We were at home today. Lets just face the fact that we''re not good enough. The question is, is Hughton the man to get us promoted again next season?

I honestly cannot see us beating WBA at home with hughton in charge. We''ll set out for a draw. Create next to nothing. And then make one error at the back, or one bit of quality from West Brom and we''ll concede. Hughton will look on clueless from the bench, throw on some attacking players with 5 minutes to go and we''ll lose 1-0.

Under hughton we won''t can get anymore points this season. Wigan will win at least two more games this season - they have a much much better manager than us. We have the better squad of players, but Martinez knows that sometimes you have to ''go for it'' and play open attacking football and he can breathe belief into a set of players. We''re now relying on Sunderland and or Newcastle not getting beyond 38 points - unless hughton is sacked before the WBA game.

Doesn''t Hughton have a three year contract?. Will we decide to keep him and his sidekicks and put any compensation money into the squad. OR part company with him and start from scratch again. Was his contract a rolling one , so we would have to pay three years, not two?

Hughton has so far managed to not get a win in any of our must win games - in fact in many we haven''t picked up a point.

Totally agree with the OP, lets get behind the team one last time this season at home. West Brom are not unbeatable, i''ll be tough but it''s a home game against a team we can win against on our day. 41 points and with the other fixtures that even teams just above us have and we could be alright, could even see a scenario where Villa go down.

Man City will beat us and, yes, Wigan will beat Villa. So West Brom is our last chance. We need to put out a team to win rather than draw a football match. That means having a forward line.

I think the only thing that goes in our favour is that including today''s game, Wigan have 5games in 15 days

I still don''t think Wigan will avoid the drop, but my goodness we need to improve big time next season I think Hughton will be given 10 games or so before the board pull the plug or not.

I think if a change is to be made it should be made close season to enable the new team to gets its players in rather than after a few games into a new season.

Let''s hope they''ve learnt from the Worthy and Gunn scenarios as in keeping a manager past the sell by date.

What contract is Hughton on BTW?

My Jack Daniels isn''t working as we''ll as your tipple Archie. What are you supping, because I have to get some of it.

God bless your optimism though.

Let''s hope for the following scenario:

1.Wigan somehow don''t win over Swansea on tuesday. Draw ok.

2.Norwich beat WBA

3.Wigan don''t win at Arsenal. Draw ok.

Norwich would be safe.

I''m trying to take some positives....the best I can offer is that had we have drawn today, with Wigan winning, I still think we would have needed to have beaten WBA anyway..........becuase I could have seen a scenario where both Wigan and Villa were both a point behind us going into the last game , playing out a draw whilst we''re being battered at Man City by 4 or 5 goals to slip below them both on G.D

"Devil''s Advocate."Doesn''t Hughton have a three year contract?. Will we decide to keep him and his sidekicks and put any compensation money into the squad. OR part company with him and start from scratch again. Was his contract a rolling one , so we would have to pay three years, not two?Hughton could do the honourable thing and resign at the end of the season.

I''ve been saying for a while that we''d lose today - which we''ve done, draw against West Brom (which is a win in Hughton''s eyes) and lose against Man City - 39 points. Will it be enough? I think it will, but goal difference may come into it...

You''ve got to hand it to Wigan - scoring three against West Brom away - Can you imagine us scoring three goals anywhere these days? Three shots on target is usually asking too much!!

[quote user="basil brush"]I''ve been saying for a while that we''d lose today - which we''ve done, draw against West Brom (which is a win in Hughton''s eyes) and lose against Man City - 39 points. Will it be enough? I think it will, but goal difference may come into it... You''ve got to hand it to Wigan - scoring three against West Brom away - Can you imagine us scoring three goals anywhere these days? Three shots on target is usually asking too much!![/quote]

I can''t see 39 being enough?...not with our gd (which will only get a lot worse at Man City), 40 is touch and go.......even 41 isn''t even now a certianty

And don''t forget that Newcastle are still very much in the smelly stuff. Away to QPR next week who we can but hope put in a final half-decent performance in front of their fans and then they''re at home to Arsenal on the last day of the season who may need the points to qualify for a Champions league place. IF and it''s a big IF we can somehow manage to fluke a win against West Brom even a win for Newcastle at QPR may not be enough to save them so the fat lady isn''t singing quite yet although she might well be warming up.  

I got my hopes up today thinking we''d scrape a draw and West Brom would be able to handle Wigan at home. There''s no way I can imagine us staying up now.Wigan v Swansea- Wigan win that and be above us on goal difference. Swansea have the players to win but Wigan have the drive.Sunderland v Stoke - Of course Sunderland will win that, then be  2 points clear of us.QPR v Newcastle - Expecting anything less than an away win here would be insanity.We''ll know what league we are playing in next week.

I have had the slide rule out and it could all come down to how many Man City put past us (assuming a point against baggies) us, Newcastle and Wigan on 39. Could be decided on 1 goal difference.

Hughtonanny,I have thought that this may be a possibility for weeks. I have a sneaky feeling that it will be a blanket finsih with the likes of Stoke, Southampton and Fulham not clear either, with GD being the decinding fcator. If this is the case, lets hope that we face the same Man City that turned up at Swansea today. I still remember how QPR went for it there on the last game of the seaon 12 months ago and nearly pulled it off by taking the game to them.