Sign in to follow this  
unique

There's a certain irony...

...in that a season spent ''tightening'' our defence could see Norwich relegated as two former defensive stalwarts pass us by with their respective promoted clubs.......

...in that Villa''s visit to Wigan on the last day of the season could yet mean that Paul Lambert is the manager that keeps Norwich up......

I think Lambert will want a decent result against Villa. He always got his players playing right till the end (our decent win against Villa last game last season) so i think it''s not cut and dried. If Wigan don''t beat Swansea, I can''t see them getting a result against Arsenal, so Villa will be tight (& you have to give credit to Villa''s attacking prowess, that could run Wigan ragged!)Newcastle are by no means safe either. They''ve got two awkward games stillOne can always hope!

Unfortunately lambert''s record shows tthat if his team have nothing to play for they won''t perform. Look at what happened in all 3 seasons when we reached our target under him - the next game was always a poor performance.

So if the final game sees Villa safe and Wigan needing a result, I''d bet on Wigan. The worst case would be Wigan needing a point if we get nothing at the etihad which would make for a nightmare final day and probably one we''d lose out from.

Actually, the chances are that Villa will have something to fight for - if we beat WBA (almost a ''must'' for us) and they lose to Chelsea (quite likely), we''d go into the final game ahead of them (and others), changing things somewhat.

If it''s down to Wigan needing a draw, I''d be extremely worried our goal difference will count against us in the end.So much for a more solid defense this season!

I''m sure that somewhere on Tyneside there will be some Toon army members mulling over the irony that Hughton''s team could stay up at their expense!

If our last 2 Fixtures were away to QPR and home to Arsenal would we feel better or worse than we do today?