Sign in to follow this  
Northern Yella

Loyalty

Okay, loads of you have been talking about loyalty, what it means and how some Norwich players seem to be lacking it.

However, I for one have never and wud never doubt that Robert Green has never given 110% for the club every time he puts on the first team shirt. In my opinion fair play to Green if he wants to progress his career. If you had a chance of going to the world cup, wudn''t you do everything possible to get there?!

Also at some point players of the quality of Green and Ashton will leave City even if we get bac in the Prem, as they are players who I am sure have ambition to be international regulars and to play in the Champions League, the latter I wud feel we will never achieve in my life time.

As for Francis not giving 100%, Im not so sure. His goals certainly dried up, and his defensive play was not something to be desired, but he was still making his driving runs. Even if his performances were affected, I wud judge it was more to do with him being unsettled, than him not being bothered, or cudn''t care less mentality.

Thats my say, feel free to have yours

And well said, too, Norwichboy. I agree with most all of that - aprt from your dodgy spelling of the present conditionals.

Greeno & Deano are good, honest lads who are by no means money-grabbers or disloyal turncoats as Wiz seems to suggest a lot these days.  I feel sorry for them both at the moment; I am sure that they are going through a pretty tough time of deciding their futures right now.  Let''s just pray they make the right decision for NCFC.

Francis?  Is he bothered or not?  Trying or not?  Can''t really be bothered myself to think about that one...

Yeah I agree. Nice one Norwich Boy for seeing this where Greeno is coming from.

I guess I can see both piont of views really. To the fans it will seem as if he is being disloyal leaving just as we are going down. To him it probably seems as if it would be taking another step in his job.

But whatever happens we should wish him the best. This is HIS job we are talking about. It must be tough for him.

Svensson and Helveg appear to have loyalty issues!! Svensson announced two days after relegation that he could leave on the cheap - a great comfort to the fans. Helveg has been mumbling all season about not being happy, wanting to go home and is now training with a team back home. You signed the flippin contract Thomas - shut up and honour it!!!

[quote]Okay, loads of you have been talking about loyalty, what it means and how some Norwich players seem to be lacking it. However, I for one have never and wud never doubt that Robert Green has never giv...[/quote]

Again, well said Norwichboy, nice to see someone starting a thread based on common-sense and level-headed thinking, rather than spur of the moment rants at whoever didn''t get down on their knees, kiss the carrow road turf and swear a blood-oath to the gods of football when we got relegated.

Not sure the other guy calling Wiz a turncoat is fair though... from what I can tell from my short time on these boards, he''s always been complaining...

(Only messing, much as I disagree with the majority of his views, I enjoy the long debates that arise from his posts)

Evil Monkey: re-read what I wrote and you may note that I did not call 1st Wiz a turncoat, but merely implied that Wiz himself is accusing some of our players of being turncoats. 

I wouldn''t care to put my goldenballs at the mercy of his crystalballs over such slander.  And take care young poster, when the Wiz isn''t posting, he''s hexing...

[quote]And well said, too, Norwichboy . I agree with most all of that - aprt from your dodgy spelling of the present conditionals. Greeno & Deano are good, honest lads who are by no means money-grab...[/quote]

Flick Fleck: As I have a high regard for your excellent posts, I''ll be gentle with my reply.

I''m amazed that because I call Greeno disloyal, everyone goes bonkers, but you all seem to think it okay to rubbish Damo!.

No one has any real hard evidence that Francis has been disloyal, apart from rumour, I base my arguement solely on Green''s interview!.

I will still stick to my views, this wizard''s not for turning (Sorry Mags!) If you feel you have to leave City for better prospects, then bog off, and let someone who does want to be here, play!.

Loyalty went out the window when so much money came into the game, and as others mention there is very little loyalty shown to players by clubs these days. I think most fans now look more to players efforts on the pitch, hence the defence of Greeno and Svensson by so many and the anger at some of Damo''s performances last season.

The sort of loyalty shown by Hucks is very rare these days. Its sad, but it comes with the modern game IMO.

I for one am pleased that Green is being honest with us. How many times have players and managers around the country placed their allegiance with a club, only to leave them in the lurch a couple of weeks later? Anyone remember Harry Redknapp saying he wouldn''t go to Southampton? And going a bit further back, Emile Heskey pledging his future to Leicester before scarpering off to Liverpool? There are many more, but you get my point. I''d find it much harder to take if Green was pledging himself to the club whilst secretly searching a move away.

I appreciate his honesty - we''ve all known for some time that he''s an excellent keeper who should be playing in the Premiership, and I can''t really blame him for looking to go back there. However, if he''s still here next season, then I''m sure he''ll continue to give full commitment to the cause.

As for Francis - it did seem suspicious that as soon as speculation about his future came up, his form seemed to wane. However I agree with Wiz that perhaps the verbal attacks he''s taken on this board are a bit OTT, given that it''s only rumour that is curculating about him. Don''t forget, he may still be here next season, and I''d hate to think we were growing resentful of one of our potential match winners...

Wiz: I guess my take on the situation is this:

Greeno: Nice guy, played his heart out for the team for several years, probably could have left to further his career a couple of years ago (probably could have left on more than one occasion), has made Norwich his home and genuinely loves the place and would stay if he could.  If I worked in Norwich and got offered double my salary to work somewhere else doing the same thing, and a starring role on the sports pages of every daily newspaper then I would think about it, damn right.

Deano: Nice guy, legend in the making (hopefully for us), made an incredible decision (again, for us) to come to NCFC just 6 months ago, won''t leave unless some stupid offer came in for him, not that he lacks ambition but wants to make as much of his move as he can.  Let''s hope he makes himself as much at home in our Fine City and team as Greeno did.

Francis: Nice guy, I''m sure, probably a bit disheartened by the slump in his professional career over the second half of the season, culminating in relegation.  Just when all looked rosy and he was gearing up to be the top scorer and player of the season (and attracting lots of big club scouts in the process, no doubt) reality popped up and slapped him in the face.  I am sure that he would ''do a Svensson'' if he could and get himself out of City at the first whiff of a Premiership contract.

Not that I want to label anyone as disloyal, but of the three I would say that Greeno & Deano were the ones with NCFC closest to their hearts.  At least that''s how I see it...

[quote]Evil Monkey: re-read what I wrote and you may note that I did not call 1st Wiz a turncoat, but merely implied that Wiz himself is accusing some of our players of being turncoats. I wouldn''t care...[/quote]

Oops, sorry Flick Fleck... may I blame poor wording??

I''ve got to say though that its disturbing that I''ve kind of stuck up for Wiz a few times recently, even though I disagree with him on a lot of points?? Maybe its my youthful, wide-eyed view of the world and the need for free speech???

Anyway, I wondered why I turned into a frog earlier...... Thought it was something I ate.....

I am enjoying the loyalty debate I must say.

It''s worth going over the point that there is no loyalty in football anymore and that includes everyone.  Players, Managers, Coaches etc some may have a modicum of loyalty but long gone are the days of players spending their career at one club.  How many testimonials do you see?  Very very few.

It''s sad to say but football is a cutthroat business, like any other and all anyone cares about is success and money.

If anyone watched "Life After Football" on BBC 1 a few weeks back, you can understand why footballers want to make as much money as possible.  Ex-Players like Neil Webb now scraping a living on a minimum wage job to look after his wife and kids.  Football and "Friends" deserted him when his career was over and left him with no future.  Clubs and players just milk each other for all they are worth until they are no more use to each other.  It''s sad and it''s not the way we want it but there is nothing you can do about it.

Half of our 1966 World Cup winning team have had to sell their medals out of financial need.  Where was West Hams loyalty to Geoff Hurst?  Did they offer him a job within the club?  No, they bought his medal for their museum!

Loyalty in football is dead my friends, it''s all about the money................