Sign in to follow this  
Mellow Yellow

Who dislikes the Premier League?

I confess I am beginning to hate all it stands for...the same as I hate rich people who don''t give a toss about others. Unless you are a regular top 6 team its all about a yearly struggle against relegation...or if you are lucky, boring stagnation! Its money obsessed and the top 4 wield too much power. To see Fergie, Mancini, Winjer and the Temp constantly whining about injustice and referees decisions is sickening now...they want to be where we are and see what real injustice is like! All they care about is Champions league and so I hope they break away to a European super league eventually...good riddance...maybe then we will have a real top league worth being in.Till then I am not sure Championship would be all that bad. We may actually play without fear again and even believe a cup run is worth it!

Agree 100%. Relegation would not be the end of the world. Back to a competitive league with real teams, real fans, games played at the proper time, realustically priced tickets, a merciful lack or mercenary corporate hangers on. Dezparately clinginv on for 17th place year after year is boring beyond belief. Of course, appointing a manager who will encourage open attacking football would be a bonus.

I agree with everything you say MY, but we still have to fight tooth and nail to stay in the PL for all its faults. After all, it is the place that every club aspires to, and we all want the chance to see our players test themselves against the elite.

The problem is that a "closed shop" has been created with the same 6 or 7 clubs established in the top positions, and in the current money-obsessed climate, I can''t see what can be done. The whole structure of football needs re-organising, but how?

The fact that the PL is so disagreeable makes me even more cross that, when we had incredibly favourable draws in both cup competitions, we went and blew both of them. Both cups had our name on them this season, and we couldn''t take advantage. And a cup run doesn''t necessarily harm your league form - Wigan seem to be coping OK with it.

It does quite a bit for the economy of Norwich and NorfolkPersonally I think that argument is over sold...do we ever see any figures? How does it? Supporters in the city for a day spending money in shops, restaurants and pubs? I suggest the same amount would come to championship games...and there are more of them! Also can we just leave the money out of it or that just misses the point...the money is what is spoiling it.

Not so sure it does that much for the local economy. The clubs gets millions and passes the vast majority of this to a small group of pampered feckless individuals who the spend their "hard earned" (oh, the irony!) on platinum plated quad bikes or whatever this week''s fad is.

I hate everything it stands for. It''s a horrible league really, with horrible money grabbing players and managers with very mediocre football being the aim of the game to stay in the league.

Lots of local businesses say that the "Norwich Brand" is certainly enhanced.Just basic things like people knowing where Norwich is has a strong effect on the economy apparentlyRemember reading an Article last season on it.But as you say, actual match days probably work out about the same as a Championship game.

Well there are contradictions. Most of us would like to stay there see the best players hear the media coverage etc BUT I have hated this season from start to finish with the odd exception such as the wins against Man Utd. I did enjoy last season. That said will we enjoy the championship, all depends on how we do. If we win games we are happy if not we are not

if we''re going to approach the Premiership in the kind of joyless,negative manner that Hughton has ,then there''s really no point being in it and we''d probably enjoy the Championship more.

lets face it any half decent manager (not that Hughton should be given the opportunity) , that has Van Wolfswinkel (I''m gullibally taking McNally''s word for this), Holt, Becchio and Vaughan at his disposal in the Championship "should" be able to formulate a free-scoring side which should compete for promotion......in the long run that''s probably more enjoyable than watching a lot of the rubbish we''ve witnessed this season...particularly away from home

No point being in the Championship if you don''t want to be in the Premiership.

How can you compete for a prize you don''t want. Especially when thats a year long prize. If you were trying to win a car, but can''t drive, at least you could sell it. You can''t sell your PL place.

So if you don''t want to be in the PL, you shouldn''t want to be in the Championship, because you would automatically have to do ''badly'' enough to not finish in top six, or thrown a play-off final. Which would be pointless.

Regardless of who''s manager we can''t really expect anything more than aiming to get enough points to survive. The Championship has many plus points especially more games and more involvement. It''s like the top division used to be. BUT... there''s little point to supporting a football club and not wanting them to succeed and finish as high as possible. Finishing 17th in the Premier League is a lot higher than winning the Championship!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]No point being in the Championship if you don''t want to be in the Premiership. How can you compete for a prize you don''t want. Especially when thats a year long prize. If you were trying to win a car, but can''t drive, at least you could sell it. You can''t sell your PL place. So if you don''t want to be in the PL, you shouldn''t want to be in the Championship, because you would automatically have to do ''badly'' enough to not finish in top six, or thrown a play-off final. Which would be pointless.[/quote]

what you ultimately want is to compete in the Premiership with a team playing to try and win the ajrity of its games,playing an attacking style of football,  Swansea have proved is achievable. If that turns out to not being good enough ,you''d have to say fair enough ,we werent good enough.

bu to go down in the manner that we appear to be ,is inexcusable as for the most part we''ve gone about it to purely nullify the opposition and rely on set-pieces with a group of players that we know from last season are capable of posing more of an attacking threat.

I love being in the Premier League and all City fans should. We all loved it last year? We watched some of the best players in the World. We watched our own team change shape, try different tactics against different set ups, win games and lose games. But we always had something to watch,  with interest.

This year has been completely different. Trying to nullify teams rather than outhink them. Yesterday took me back to the Newcastle home game last year, when Newcastle had to change their centre backs. We won that by long passes/ balls on top of their defence and played two tall strikers. Villa were weak in central defence yesterday but we did nothing different to try and exploit it.

Mellow I don''t disagree about the money and so forth, but when we compete we love it. 2 wins from 18 isn''t competing. In any league.

This thread reeks out of sour grapes.

If somebody asked me what league i''d rather be in, Championship or Premier League, it would be Premier League.

Grow up.

Striving to be mediocre, the odd upset against Man U and Arsenal and not even a good cup run to get excited about.

It''s a difficult question. If it was all on a bit more level playing field with a European Super League with all the big teams out of the way, then maybe. I wonder what Stoke fans would say?

This thread reeks out of sour grapes.

If somebody asked me what league i''d rather be in, Championship or Premier League, it would be Premier League.

Grow up.
Predictable and banal answer...and insultingly patronising.

[quote user="BW''s Cat "]This thread reeks out of sour grapes.

Grow up.
I''m sorry for answering the question objectively and looking at the positives of the Championship. As a spectator I prefer the Championship - always have and always will. As a fan of the club and wanting what is best for it - the premier league obviously.