Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Why is Hughton a 'defensive' manager?

For us?

I knew Newcastle scored a lot of goals under him, and that was generally assumed to be just because they were too good for the Championship that season.

But I checked Brums goals scored under him, they were 4th highest that season, scoring 3 less than we did the previous season. And Brum weren''t supposed to be that good a side.

So how is it, after two high scoring Championship seasons with Newcastle and Brum he comes here and is defence minded? Is it actually McNally''s plan? Wanted the team to be more solid at the expense of the attack? Hughton thinking our attackers weren''t good enough to keep it up for another season?

Doesn''t really add up...

Possibly after the opening day defeat? That''s the only reason I can think of.

Not defensive but negative.
Negative as in, he brings the pace of the game way down. Makes it scrappy, hold the ball up, make some long passes and then likewise make the other team hold the ball up by holding them up, chasing the ball instead of direct tackles. The play becomes very indirect and gives the miserable 1-0 - 0-0 or worse results. I think this negative mindset comes from the fact that he doesn''t believe the squad is good enough, much like Di Matteo didn''t believe he would beat Barca or Bayern and so played negative football. Sometimes it works, but the margins are very fine and the ultimate quality of the players will make the difference.
It''s very easy to mistake negative for defensive because of the lack of goals... when in actual fact it''s just a stodgey game of football.

Unfortunately the lack of belief is evident throughout the team, the manager should be a man who installs belief but it has been the reverse.

I think that he

might have expected more from Holt after looking at the videos, and wasn''t impressed by Vaughan (although most of us were pre-season)

saw defensive weaknesses, and realised that we would concede a lot of goals unless he strengthened the defence

expected more from the many midfielders we had - in the end he seems to have written off Smith, Fox, Adeyemi and Howson (initially)

If he continuess as manager for a year or two,  is able to replace some or all of the players who would never be Premiership standard and also build a more balanced squad, he could do for us what he did at Newcastle and Birmingham.

[quote user="Salopian"]

I think that he might have expected more from Holt after looking at the videos, and wasn''t impressed by Vaughan (although most of us were pre-season) saw defensive weaknesses, and realised that we would concede a lot of goals unless he strengthened the defence expected more from the many midfielders we had - in the end he seems to have written off Smith, Fox, Adeyemi and Howson (initially)

If he continuess as manager for a year or two,  is able to replace some or all of the players who would never be Premiership standard and also build a more balanced squad, he could do for us what he did at Newcastle and Birmingham.

[/quote]

^^This, with knobs on.  

"-he could do for us what he did at Newcastle and Birmingham."
Which is precisely.... nothing.

He got Newcastle a given promotion.
He did "better than expected" with Birmingham.
He has done worse than expected with Norwich.
So, yeah... nothing really.

[quote user="Stig"]He got Newcastle a given promotion.
[/quote]

Oh, come on, no-one gets a "given" promotion.

Never mind a one or two year plan, he needs to ensure we beat West Brom that should be all he/ we should be focused on. Recriminations can come later. Well sooner rather than later.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Stig"]He got Newcastle a given promotion.
[/quote]

[/quote]
If he had of failed, he would never have been working again. There was never a doubt that Newcastle side were going to dance right back up with or without Hughton.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]For us?

I knew Newcastle scored a lot of goals under him, and that was generally assumed to be just because they were too good for the Championship that season.

But I checked Brums goals scored under him, they were 4th highest that season, scoring 3 less than we did the previous season. And Brum weren''t supposed to be that good a side.

So how is it, after two high scoring Championship seasons with Newcastle and Brum he comes here and is defence minded? Is it actually McNally''s plan? Wanted the team to be more solid at the expense of the attack? Hughton thinking our attackers weren''t good enough to keep it up for another season?

Doesn''t really add up...[/quote]I think it''s the last point, that Hughton and team had a good look at the squad and planned accordingly.If you recall, our pre-season friendlies were exercises in sitting back and inviting pressure, letting the other team have the ball while keeping a defensive shape.  If there was any doubt about whether this would work, the opening game at Fulham showed things were arguably even worse than Hughton et al had imagined.I agree with his assessment to a point - and the defence is much improved.  But when you don''t have goalscorers or any creativity in the middle of midfield, not conceding goals will only get you a point, not three points.  Too often this season we have been impotent in front of goal.  Newcastle at home, Fulham at home, QPR at home, three draws against teams that offered relatively little and yet we couldn''t put them away.The chance to remedy this came in January - we could have brought in a decent midfielder & striker but didn''t want to pay the money clubs were asking for.  As a result we brought in Kamara, and God knows I love a trier but he wasn''t the answer to our requirements.  Neither was Becchio, who appears to be the invisible man.As others have noted, the result of our unwillingness to commit big money in order to safeguard bigger money may be the decision that has sealed our fate.

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Stig"]He got Newcastle a given promotion.
[/quote]

[/quote]
If he had of failed, he would never have been working again. There was never a doubt that Newcastle side were going to dance right back up with or without Hughton.
[/quote]I know hindsight is always easy, but how many other relegated clubs have come back up as Championship winners the following season?

He simply doesn''t have confidence in our attacking midfield and forwards. The plan is to scrape enough draws with everyone playing within themselves.

As I said yesterday this is total folly - even if we *do* stay up our attacking players go into next season a shadow of their former selves, knowing full well they''re not rated or trusted. Unless the plan is to replace our entire attacking unit next year, it''s a unbelievably myopic strategy.

[quote user="Dusk1983"]He simply doesn''t have confidence in our attacking midfield and forwards. The plan is to scrape enough draws with everyone playing within themselves.

As I said yesterday this is total folly - even if we *do* stay up our attacking players go into next season a shadow of their former selves, knowing full well they''re not rated or trusted. Unless the plan is to replace our entire attacking unit next year, it''s a unbelievably myopic strategy.[/quote]
This is exactly right. Even if we do stay up, he has ruined the squad mentally. They don''t play with the same belief which disgusts me the most because they are all more than capable. He simply couldn''t replace them all and if he did I would be even more furious because you can''t just gut a squad of the players that got you to where you are. In my eyes Hughton is in a lose lose situation and I want rid so damn much.

I think Hughton doesn''t rate a lot of our forwards and midfield. as others have said his sides at Newcastle and Birmingham scored plenty and I am sure we will score a lot more next season regardless of which division we are in because he will change the playing staff, IF he is still here of course which is another matter altogether