Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

We were relegated at 11.00pm on January 31st....

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Needing a forward goes back to the transfer window closing in sept.

Everyone knew we needed one.

CH has had 2 windows and has failed miserably bringing in becchio kamara and Kane.[/quote]

It''s arguable that Hughton was to blame in the summer, but to be fair to him he probably thought the defence and midfield were higher priorities. As for January, you are blaming the wrong man. That we made separate bids of £7m for (presumably) Hooper and RVW shows Hughton had told the board he needed quality strengthening up front. Kamara and Becchio were meant to be as well as and not instead of one of those two expensive players. We were still bidding for Hooper after we had signed Kamara and Becchio.Hughton obviously said who he wanted within the budget and then it was up to McNally to do the negotiating. That is where it went wrong.

As I said. 4 windows! In fact in the 6 premier league transfer windows the club has been involved in only one premier league quality striker, Dean Ashton, has been signed. God bless Worthy and Doomcaster....

we lose the games because the midfield. Playing holt instead of kamara is a minor problem when we cant pass create support from midfield or offer protection to the back 4.

Passing in your own half its futile and with the striker so remote its too much pressure - we sit deep because we cant defend in the middle or pass effectively. look at the correlation of point won when we have more than half possession, We dont know how to attack or use a football - too much drill in what to do when we dont have the ball.

Nutty,Not sure whether your last post is tongue in cheek or not, but look what a difference Ashtom made. We were a whisker awy from staying up. I wish we had taking a similar risk this time around given the stakes. My guess is that the Board thought we would grind out enough points (didnt most of us?) and that we would save the major team rebuild until the summer. On a separate note, I would really love to know what Ewan Chester and his team do on a day to day basis. Surely they must have some leads very warmed up?

ZLF,Agree completely - there are huge consequences playing a tight game. It sometimes works when you can steal a lead and soak up the pressure, but it doesnt work when chasing the game and needing points. On the subject of Holt, I am afraid it has been obvious for some time that he is compeltely and utterly shot at this level, as much as it pains me to say this. There is not doubting his heart, but his legs and fitness have simply gone forever.

we''ve scored 5 goals from open play in 2013, you can blame a lack of service, and whilst that maybe true a higher calibre of striker will create a chance for himself and try a shot from distance....none of our srikers have the confidence to do that. Another reason as to why Hughton doesnt play 2 strikers is that we dont have 2 strikers who are good enough for this level.

Now that Kamara has gone and both Becchio and Jackson havent been used, we have no alternative against WBA to go with the same team as we fielded today..............if we go behind , it''s goodnight.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Nutty,

Not sure whether your last post is tongue in cheek or not, but look what a difference Ashtom made. We were a whisker awy from staying up. I wish we had taking a similar risk this time around given the stakes. My guess is that the Board thought we would grind out enough points (didnt most of us?) and that we would save the major team rebuild until the summer.

On a separate note, I would really love to know what Ewan Chester and his team do on a day to day basis. Surely they must have some leads very warmed up?
[/quote]

Why would it be tongue in cheek. It''s the truth and a point that''s been made more than a few times. The problem I have is whether it''s something we should accept or whether it''s something we can do anything about. If it''s something that we don''t have to accept then playing the blame game''s a possibility. But blaming Hughton is ridiculous.

Nutty,Very few of us will ever know what goes on behind the closed doors at CR re tansfer policy. However, Hughton is hardly helping himself. There have been too many games where the points haev been there for the taking and his has not had the balsl to go for it. I think Newcastle at home was a good example of this. Love or hate him, Lambert today showed that risks are sometimes worth taking. I am not sure that Hughton will be able to survive, but predict he will still be here at Christmas if that doesnt sound like a contradiction. I just wish we had a manager that we could all rally around and simply believe in with utter faith.

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Nutty,

Very few of us will ever know what goes on behind the closed doors at CR re tansfer policy. However, Hughton is hardly helping himself. There have been too many games where the points haev been there for the taking and his has not had the balsl to go for it. I think Newcastle at home was a good example of this. Love or hate him, Lambert today showed that risks are sometimes worth taking. I am not sure that Hughton will be able to survive, but predict he will still be here at Christmas if that doesnt sound like a contradiction. I just wish we had a manager that we could all rally around and simply believe in with utter faith.
[/quote]

Where did this come from Louis? I thought you''d grasped the point I was making about the fact that we never sign top strikers. Even Ashton was a lower league player who we gambled on. My point was that it wasn''t Hughton''s fault. Would you like to answer that point or did you want to go off and rant at a tangent about something else.

If you must bring it back to lambert I''d just say that he didn''t sign a decent striker for Norwich in three seasons. He inherited Holt. As soon as he got to Villa he managed to sign Benteke. Now whos fault is that?

Is it something that we are not destined to do at Norwich? It was the same in the 80s when for want of a striker we could have won the double. A few years later we had one come through the ranks and promptly sold him.

VWW could be the one that breaks tradition but will it be too late?

[quote user="Louis Cyphre"]Nutty,Very few of us will ever know what goes on behind the closed doors at CR re tansfer policy. However, Hughton is hardly helping himself. There have been too many games where the points haev been there for the taking and his has not had the balsl to go for it. I think Newcastle at home was a good example of this. Love or hate him, Lambert today showed that risks are sometimes worth taking. I am not sure that Hughton will be able to survive, but predict he will still be here at Christmas if that doesnt sound like a contradiction. I just wish we had a manager that we could all rally around and simply believe in with utter faith.[/quote]

But I think we played the open football against Villa that everybody was calling for. The fullbacks were overlapping and the defensive line pushed further up the field. And the result of this Villa scored twice on fast-counter attacking play.

Had we played as we have been doing Villa would never have broken down our defence and we could have won it on the penalty. Instead we went for it, just as the fans demanded and ended up losing all three points.

Even a 0-0 draw would have given us a point and life would have been much different today. Be careful what you wish for.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

when we didn''t strengthen our striking options for the 2nd consecutive transfer window....Kamara was a gamble which didn''t work, the Becchio sitaution is at best mystifying at worst disgusting.

an entirely avoidable situation is now upon us due to a disgraceful lack of business in January.....even moreso because we know the money was there to spend.

[/quote]Did not realise we were relegated yet

Open football? Are you joking?

How many chances did this open football create? 1? 2? How many times did a fullback get to the byline? Once? Twice? How many times did the 2 CDM''s get into the box to support Holt or try and get on the end of a cross or to give another option to the man in possession? Zero?

Open football? Give me a break. It was better than it has been in recent months but that''s not saying much. Switching off a couple of times doesn''t mean we played an open game. It was as far away from open football as you can get.

as a final footnote to this........the news that Kamara has gone back really puts a lid on the January transfer dealings, ...we now face the most important game of the season, a striker down, whch we knew we would be at this stage  when it was initally negotiated!.......that leaves the sum total of January as Becchio, a player who''s played about 10 mins of football in the last 7 games and isn''t even currently on the bench.

....... and in the knowledge that Hughton had told Kamara before the Aston Villa game that he would not be retained Hughton still played him over Becchio. I wonder what Kam''s mindset would have been. It really does beggar belief that Becchio has not been given match experience in anticipation of being needed for the remaining crucial games of the season.