Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

We were relegated at 11.00pm on January 31st....

when we didn''t strengthen our striking options for the 2nd consecutive transfer window....Kamara was a gamble which didn''t work, the Becchio sitaution is at best mystifying at worst disgusting.

an entirely avoidable situation is now upon us due to a disgraceful lack of business in January.....even moreso because we know the money was there to spend.

Always amusing when the club are criticised for things which could very well have been completely out of their hands! You have no idea what went on in January, none of us do.

This stunning prediction would have meant so much more had you made it at the time.Its pretty easy with hindsight, isn''t it?

Think you will find that a lot of people were saying it at the time. The signing of becchio is one of the most baffling i have ever seen.

We may stay up. We may go down. But, as has been widely debated since the closure of the transfer window, our failure to strengthen the team, especially the forwards, may prove to be a significant contributory factor to probably the most financially damaging mistake in the club''s history. Let''s hope not.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

sady this isn''t hindsight, we knew we needed strengthening up front in January and didnt do it.

even if it isn''t "hindsight"....it still stands up as a statement of fact.

[/quote]So you said it on here, at the time "We haven''t made any decent signings, I think we''ll be relegated"?You could use the search function to find the thread where you did, you know[Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

sady this isn''t hindsight, we knew we needed strengthening up front in January and didnt do it.

[/quote]So you said it on here, at the time "We haven''t made any decent signings, I think we''ll be relegated"?You could use the search function to find the thread where you did, you know[Y][/quote]

don''t think you''re getting it?

a) people said on the last day of January that our dealings might not be good enough and hav been ever since

b) this isn''t a "wise after the event" statement..........this is my view of where we can look back and pinpoint a damaging date in our season?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]So you said it on here, at the time "We haven''t made any decent signings, I think we''ll be relegated"?You could use the search function to find the thread where you did, you know[Y][/quote]

a) people said on the last day of January that our dealings might not be good enough and hav been ever since

b) this isn''t a "wise after the event" statement..........this is my view of where we can look back and pinpoint a damaging date in our season?

[/quote]Well, I post here a fair bit, as you know, and I don''t remember making that much of a fuss at the time.But fair enough, its not wise after the event at all[Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

So you said it on here, at the time "We haven''t made any decent signings, I think we''ll be relegated"?

You could use the search function to find the thread where you did, you know[Y]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, I post here a fair bit, as you know, and I don''t remember making that much of a fuss at the time.

But fair enough, its not wise after the event at all[Y]
[/quote]

you don''t remember anyone making a "fuss" at all on January 31st in us making bids of £6m-£8m for a striker all day only to end up swapping one of our strikers for a championship striker plus a wildcard from the MLS?!?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]Well, I post here a fair bit, as you know, and I don''t remember making that much of a fuss at the time.But fair enough, its not wise after the event at all[Y][/quote]

you don''t remember anyone making a "fuss" at all on January 31st in us making bids of £6m-£8m for a striker all day only to end up swapping one of our strikers for a championship striker plus a wildcard from the MLS?!?

[/quote]I am pretty sure anyone with a modicum of sense saw that Celtic were taking the mickey, and he was massively overpriced. We were right not to spend that kind of money. Would you have spent it, had it been your money?

Thats the gamble isnt iy? Had we have paid the asking price and he scored the goals to keep us up he is then well worth it. We needed fiirepower, we got none.

[quote user="JF"]Thats the gamble isnt iy? Had we have paid the asking price and he scored the goals to keep us up he is then well worth it. We needed fiirepower, we got none.[/quote]Yes it is a gamble, and its easy to say it should be made when its not your money.What if he didn''t score? What if he got injured?No certainties in football I''m afraid.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="JF"]Thats the gamble isnt iy? Had we have paid the asking price and he scored the goals to keep us up he is then well worth it. We needed fiirepower, we got none.[/quote]

Yes it is a gamble, and its easy to say it should be made when its not your money.

What if he didn''t score? What if he got injured?

No certainties in football I''m afraid.
[/quote]

I''m not saying we should have necessarily paid £8m for Hooper but having apprantly bid this (and then subsequently "signed" RVW" for a similar amount) we presumably had this kind of money to spend.  If we couldn''t/didnt want to spend that on Hooper, where were the 2nd,3rd or 4th choice strikers?.

I will never believe should we go down that armed with £8m there was absoluteyno striker in the whole world of football that we couldn''t have signed somewhere between Jan 1st to Jan 31st that wouldn''t have improved our striking options or have been better than Kamara and Becchio?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="JF"]Thats the gamble isnt iy? Had we have paid the asking price and he scored the goals to keep us up he is then well worth it. We needed fiirepower, we got none.[/quote]Yes it is a gamble, and its easy to say it should be made when its not your money.What if he didn''t score? What if he got injured?No certainties in football I''m afraid.[/quote]

I''m not saying we should have necessarily paid £8m for Hooper but having apprantly bid this (and then subsequently "signed" RVW" for a similar amount) we presumably had this kind of money to spend.  If we couldn''t/didnt want to spend that on Hooper, where were the 2nd,3rd or 4th choice strikers?.

I will never believe should we go down that armed with £8m there was absoluteyno striker in the whole world of football that we couldn''t have signed somewhere between Jan 1st to Jan 31st that wouldn''t have improved our striking options or have been better than Kamara and Becchio?

[/quote]Whilst I see what you are saying, there are no certainties, unless you have 20 million to spend.Players are MASSIVELY overpriced in the January transfer window, we could just as easily, right now, moaning about the striker we paid top dollar for, hasn''t come up with the goods.Obviously we were banking on Holt scoring like he did last season.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]Well, I post here a fair bit, as you know, and I don''t remember making that much of a fuss at the time.But fair enough, its not wise after the event at all[Y][/quote]

[/quote]I am pretty sure anyone with a modicum of sense saw that Celtic were taking the mickey, and he was massively overpriced. We were right not to spend that kind of money. Would you have spent it, had it been your money?[/quote]

But that, morty, is the point! Why didn''t realise that until lunchtime on January 31, by which time it was too late to switch to another target? We made at least four bids, finishing off with one of £7m. And it was only when that was rejected that the penny dropped with us, that Celtic didn''t particularly want to sell. And why should they? They were still in the Champions League and Hooper had 18 months left on his contract.And if anyone should have worked this out, should have been able to "read" Celtic''s intentions, it should have been McNally, who used to be employed by them! He made a few days ago what I imagine he thought was a decent excuse but actually was a  damaging admission that added to the argument I and a few others made at the time. Someone tweeted that if "you had paid extra cash for hooper team would have been clear of

relegation by now.Short sighted". To which McNally replied:”his club wouldn''t sell him."Not "they kept upping the price at the last minute" or something totally unforeseeable. But something perfectly foreseeable - that Celtic didn''t want to sell. How come we didn''t cotton on to that soon enough for a Plan B?

Important questions GJL. I think we should have ''over paid'' for a striker in the transfer window - spend £5m to secure £80m - as an insurance policy. Too late now.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]I am pretty sure anyone with a modicum of sense saw that Celtic were taking the mickey, and he was massively overpriced. We were right not to spend that kind of money. Would you have spent it, had it been your money?[/quote]

But that, morty, is the point! Why didn''t realise that until lunchtime on January 31, by which time it was too late to switch to another target? We made at least four bids, finishing off with one of £7m. And it was only when that was rejected that the penny dropped with us, that Celtic didn''t particularly want to sell. And why should they? They were still in the Champions League and Hooper had 18 months left on his contract.And if anyone should have worked this out, should have been able to "read" Celtic''s intentions, it should have been McNally, who used to be employed by them! He made a few days ago what I imagine he thought was a decent excuse but actually was a  damaging admission that added to the argument I and a few others made at the time. Someone tweeted that if "you had paid extra cash for hooper team would have been clear of

relegation by now.Short sighted". To which McNally replied:”his club wouldn''t sell him."Not "they kept upping the price at the last minute" or something totally unforeseeable. But something perfectly foreseeable - that Celtic didn''t want to sell. How come we didn''t cotton on to that soon enough for a Plan B?

[/quote]I don''t have the answer to your questions.Is there a conspiracy theory afoot here?

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Important questions GJL. I think we should have ''over paid'' for a striker in the transfer window - spend £5m to secure £80m - as an insurance policy. Too late now.[/quote]Its really not as easy as spend the money and it''ll all be fine.I point you in the direction of QPR.

Sorry, i thought we were 15th with 2 games left...or are the bottom 5 now relegated and i missed it?

[quote user="morty"]Its pretty easy with hindsight, isn''t it?[/quote]Hindisight?  I guess you have missed the last 6 months of people being concerned with the negative management at the club.  There were even a few posters around concerned with the lack of striking options after the transfer window.Personally I don''t think the lack of a new striker in January was the problem.  It is our negative style, negative outlook, misuse of the squad, negative tactics, a lack of belief in the players from the management, and masterful plan to draw our way to safety.I still think we will survive, because I think we will beat WBA.  But we are now in a situation where the possibility exists where that might not be enough.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"]Its pretty easy with hindsight, isn''t it?[/quote]Hindisight?  I guess you have missed the last 6 months of people being concerned with the negative management at the club.  There were even a few posters around concerned with the lack of striking options after the transfer window.Personally I don''t think the lack of a new striker in January was the problem.  It is our negative style, negative outlook, misuse of the squad, negative tactics, a lack of belief in the players from the management, and masterful plan to draw our way to safety.I still think we will survive, because I think we will beat WBA.  But we are now in a situation where the possibility exists where that might not be enough.[/quote]Feel free to just isolate a small part of my post about a specific subject and apply it to something else, why don''t you?

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/fulham_5_norwich_city_0_1_1486847

Let''s face it the rot started with the Fulham defeat last August. So many of the comments, made after that game, are as true tonight as they were then. Many people suggested that Hughton should walk that day and although it seemed extreme at the time, the writing seemed to be on the wall even then. Perhaps when the inquest is held on this season, the question should be "How can a squad like that achieve a ten game unbeaten run" and then

win only two games in the last twenty?.

Beating teams like Man Utd and Arsenal means nothing when we are unable to win the so called six pointers. How many people silently predicted relegation as soon as they saw this seasons fixture list ? and hoped that it would be us sending Lambert and Villa down and not the other way around.

Having achieved so much in the last three seasons, it is a Bl**dy shame that it looks like going to waste in the next couple of weeks.

[quote user="Devils Advocate."]http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/fulham_5_norwich_city_0_1_1486847 Let''s face it the rot started with the Fulham defeat last August. So many of the comments, made after that game, are as true tonight as they were then. Many people suggested that Hughton should walk that day and although it seemed extreme at the time, the writing seemed to be on the wall even then. Perhaps when the inquest is held on this season, the question should be "How can a squad like that achieve a ten game unbeaten run" and then win only two games in the last twenty?. Beating teams like Man Utd and Arsenal means nothing when we are unable to win the so called six pointers. How many people silently predicted relegation as soon as they saw this seasons fixture list ? and hoped that it would be us sending Lambert and Villa down and not the other way around. Having achieved so much in the last three seasons, it is a Bl**dy shame that it looks like going to waste in the next couple of weeks.[/quote]

Fulham was an eyeopener not just for us but obviously for Hughton too, which led to the more defensive attitude we''ve adopted all season since then.  However a fixture that was more telling was one that took place a fortnight later at home to West Ham when knowing the 4 fixtures that followed were Liverpool,Chelsea,Newcastle (a) and Arsenal , Hughton allowed the game to peter out to a goal less draw , when interviewed on radio Norfolk afterwards ,he admitted that he was reluctant to change the team to try and win it incase West Ham (an Andy Carroll-less) West Ham caught us on the break and won it?!.........sadly an all too familiar tale throughout the season and a philosophy that looks like will come back to haunt him.

when we didn''t strengthen our striking options for the 2nd consecutive transfer window....Kamara was a gamble which didn''t work, the Becchio sitaution is at best mystifying at worst disgusting.

an entirely avoidable situation is now upon us due to a disgraceful lack of business in January.....even moreso because we know the money was there to spend.

[/quote]

4th GeeJay. And you were not exclusive in being concerned. It''s all in the archives. However it''s not Holt''s fault he is still our best striking option and it''s not Hughton''s fault and he''s right to keep selecting him.

Can anyone tell me what all that booing was about when Kamara replaced Wes? Some guys in the pub said it was because Holt wasn''t subbed. Can anyone confirm that? Did they really want to sub like for like and keep one up front?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

4th GeeJay. And you were not exclusive in being concerned. It''s all in the archives. However it''s not Holt''s fault he is still our best striking option and it''s not Hughton''s fault and he''s right to keep selecting him.

Can anyone tell me what all that booing was about when Kamara replaced Wes? Some guys in the pub said it was because Holt wasn''t subbed. Can anyone confirm that? Did they really want to sub like for like and keep one up front?

[/quote]

glad you''ve backed me up there Nigel.....I thought my memory was playing tricks on me as some on this thread were leading me to believe that everyone bar me was dancing in the streets at our January transfer window activity?!?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

There wasn''t any booing where I was but it was certainly audible from other parts of the ground. I assumed it was because people thought Wes was our best attacker and didn''t want to see him taken off.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

glad you''ve backed me up there Nigel.....I thought my memory was playing tricks on me as some on this thread were leading me to believe that everyone bar me was dancing in the streets at our January transfer window activity?!?

[/quote]

There were many concewrned. And I can back you up because we were in agreement with eachother and Hughton that Hoolhan and Holt were our best striking and creative options just as they were in 2009. Both players outdate even Paul Lambert so who is to blame? Certainly not Hughton for selecting them and certainly not them for being selected. Could it be nutty''s fault?