Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

This is not Armageddon

Look,  I know we''re all peed off about losing yesterday, but once the emotion has died down a bit, you will see that the performance, tactics and effort were all there yesterday.    What was lacking was the final cross, pass, or quality free kick that was needed.   Everything else was good.   We were beaten by a quality pacey striker who unfortunately found his form at the wrong time for us. 

You can lambast Hughton and that is your right and he does take ultimate responsibility for the team, but substitutions were good, we had plenty of good possession, had Villa with their backs to the wall.    Then there is that free kick that Pilks should have taken - and the crosses that Snodgrass put in that were frankly clogs.    It is the players responsibility to play the game.   You can''t blame Hughton!   He took off Wes at the right time as he starts to slow after about an hour.   He took off Snodgrass which was right imo  (I would have taken him off sooner as for all his huff and puff, did little of any quality).  He brought on attackers.    Good management  and yesterday was not the dire performance some have made out.   Also, we are still three points ahead and have the opportunity of a home game next week. 

It is not over yet.  Sunderland and Newcastle are struggling too and Wigan have difficult games too.  

Keep the faith!

Sorry LDC, but did you actually go to the game? Tactics all there? Give me a break. We created nothing once again. We''ve gifted 3 of our relegation rivals 3 points in the last few matches and penalty aside, not threatened to score against any of them.

Not good enough.

No, but it is Hughton''s fault that we were put in this position in the first place. And on that basis - "You''re Fired."

Ah, Mr Peace In Our Time man shows his head, give it a rest LDC, its fans like you that kept Worthy, Roeder etc here beyond their sell by date.

He needs to go now.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Sorry LDC, but did you actually go to the game? Tactics all there? Give me a break. We created nothing once again. We''ve gifted 3 of our relegation rivals 3 points in the last few matches and penalty aside, not threatened to score against any of them.

Not good enough.[/quote]

I watched the whole of the game one online and saw numerous opportunities and creative play.     Just because I was not at the game does not mean my opinion is invalid.  I saw what I saw.    If you go to a game you get wound up in all the emotion and sometimes don''t see the balanced view.  I do it myself when I go.

What is always missing is the final quality ball.  That is down to players, not the manager.   And the substitutions were positive.  

Booing Hoolahan going off was laughable,  shouting "you don''t know what your doing" was laughable.   I thought we were supposed to support the team and manager?    Even the commentators on my stream said Hughton had shown good management and did everything right to try and get a result.  

We lost a match, as I said, it is not the end of the world  and we are at home next week. 

Hughton doesn''t need to go now, because that will achieve nothing. Unless the players hate him. If they don''t it will probably have a worse effect. End of the season, yes probably, now, stupid idea.

Yesterday we dominated possession, Villa never had midfield, defence wasn''t solid. Yet we still lacked any cutting edge in final third. For a team that scored wasn''t it like 8th highest amount last season? To completely lack an idea of what to do in final third is shameful. And its a recurring problem. We show signs of knowing what to do. Put in plenty of crosses yesterday, but only two to the target man. Pointless crossing to Snodgrass so much, he doesn''t know what to do. Its also increasingly pointless asking Snodgrass to cross. He didn''t seem to realise that Guzan likes coming off his line, and kept putting the ball 6 yards infront of him, giving him every chance of catching it.

We we''re in charge of Villa. And didn''t take advantage. We were a lot better than Reading, yet one by a single goal. We were useless against Stoke (ok, they can do that to teams). Messed about by referees against Arsenal and Sunderland. Didn''t see Swansea game, but after deciding to score, then decided we would forget how to do what we''ve been doing all season, defending.

You can find positives from a lot of our performances, or results in the last 3 months. But overall its shocking. Lack of imagination, not improvement in areas that need improvement (or reverting back to how they were last season) and then you get something like yesterday, when Howson and Hoolahan linked up brilliantly going forward, why on earth hasn''t that happened before? We''re they just introduced before yesterdays game?

I''ll have a pint of whatever you have been drinking LDC. For God''s sake give your patronising twaddle a rest and smell the coffee.[:@]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I''ll have a pint of whatever you have been drinking LDC. For God''s sake give your patronising twaddle a rest and smell the coffee.[:@][/quote]

Thank you for your considered opinion, but in the world I live in, I try see things as they are and not treat my football club as some kind of toy that if things aren''t quite how I want them, throw a tantrum and wail and cry as if the world is coming to an end.  We lost a football match, one in which we played quite well in for long spells.      We have a match next week where we can play well and win.  

Patronising twaddle if you like, but  I prefer that to most of the doom and gloom twaddle  on here today. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]I''ll have a pint of whatever you have been drinking LDC. For God''s sake give your patronising twaddle a rest and smell the coffee.[:@][/quote]

Thank you for your considered opinion, but in the world I live in, I try see things as they are and not treat my football club as some kind of toy that if things aren''t quite how I want them, throw a tantrum and wail and cry as if the world is coming to an end.  We lost a football match, one in which we played quite well in for long spells.      We have a match next week where we can play well and win.  

Patronising twaddle if you like, but  I prefer that to most of the doom and gloom twaddle  on here today. 

[/quote]
And what will your opinion be should we lose that game? You are completely unwilling to accept the horrible position we are in and you appear to be as bad as the board in their lack of acknowledgement. If we were you, we would be sleep walking straight into league 1 again.

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]I''ll have a pint of whatever you have been drinking LDC. For God''s sake give your patronising twaddle a rest and smell the coffee.[:@][/quote]Thank you for your considered opinion, but in the world I live in, I try see things as they are and not treat my football club as some kind of toy that if things aren''t quite how I want them, throw a tantrum and wail and cry as if the world is coming to an end.  We lost a football match, one in which we played quite well in for long spells.      We have a match next week where we can play well and win.   Patronising twaddle if you like, but  I prefer that to most of the doom and gloom twaddle  on here today.  [/quote]
And what will your opinion be should we lose that game? You are completely unwilling to accept the horrible position we are in and you appear to be as bad as the board in their lack of acknowledgement. If we were you, we would be sleep walking straight into league 1 again.
[/quote]If we lose that game and go down, I am still enough of a realist to know that it is not the end of the world.   This is not a club in decline as we were four years ago.  Everything is in place for the next few years to be sucessful and if fans could only hold their nerve instead of jumping on the "Roeder factor bandwagon" we would be alright.  We are not heading for league one.  We might not even be heading for the championship.  

Hughton is still imo a strong manager and given time will - repeat will - get the success we all want.   Its still early days and yes its not pleasant at the moment, but a gloom and doom scenario it is not.    And we are still in there fighting - at least some of us are.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]I''ll have a pint of whatever you have been drinking LDC. For God''s sake give your patronising twaddle a rest and smell the coffee.[:@][/quote]Thank you for your considered opinion, but in the world I live in, I try see things as they are and not treat my football club as some kind of toy that if things aren''t quite how I want them, throw a tantrum and wail and cry as if the world is coming to an end.  We lost a football match, one in which we played quite well in for long spells.      We have a match next week where we can play well and win.   Patronising twaddle if you like, but  I prefer that to most of the doom and gloom twaddle  on here today.  [/quote]
[/quote]If we lose that game and go down, I am still enough of a realist to know that it is not the end of the world.   This is not a club in decline as we were four years ago.  Everything is in place for the next few years to be sucessful and if fans could only hold their nerve instead of jumping on the "Roeder factor bandwagon" we would be alright.  We are not heading for league one.  We might not even be heading for the championship.  

Hughton is still imo a strong manager and given time will - repeat will - get the success we all want.   Its still early days and yes its not pleasant at the moment, but a gloom and doom scenario it is not.    And we are still in there fighting - at least some of us are.

[/quote]
What a joke. No one is shouting it will be the end of the club, but it will be relegation from the premier league and a massive chance missed with all the money coming to premier league squads. We will have missed a big old chance for the club to develop... do I need to point out that going down is not a club in ascendancy which in turn means we *are* on the decline?
He has had all season to show us something, and this year especially he has done goofed. Once again you are putting your naivety on a pedestal and attempting to flaunt it as superiority over fans that can see we are in massive trouble.

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]I''ll have a pint of whatever you have been drinking LDC. For God''s sake give your patronising twaddle a rest and smell the coffee.[:@][/quote]Thank you for your considered opinion, but in the world I live in, I try see things as they are and not treat my football club as some kind of toy that if things aren''t quite how I want them, throw a tantrum and wail and cry as if the world is coming to an end.  We lost a football match, one in which we played quite well in for long spells.      We have a match next week where we can play well and win.   Patronising twaddle if you like, but  I prefer that to most of the doom and gloom twaddle  on here today.  [/quote]
[/quote]If we lose that game and go down, I am still enough of a realist to know that it is not the end of the world.   This is not a club in decline as we were four years ago.  Everything is in place for the next few years to be sucessful and if fans could only hold their nerve instead of jumping on the "Roeder factor bandwagon" we would be alright.  We are not heading for league one.  We might not even be heading for the championship.   Hughton is still imo a strong manager and given time will - repeat will - get the success we all want.   Its still early days and yes its not pleasant at the moment, but a gloom and doom scenario it is not.    And we are still in there fighting - at least some of us are.

[/quote]
What a joke. No one is shouting it will be the end of the club, but it will be relegation from the premier league and a massive chance missed with all the money coming to premier league squads. We will have missed a big old chance for the club to develop... do I need to point out that going down is not a club in ascendancy which in turn means we *are* on the decline?
He has had all season to show us something, and this year especially he has done goofed. Once again you are putting your naivety on a pedestal and attempting to flaunt it as superiority over fans that can see we are in massive trouble.
[/quote]

The money is not an issue.   Parachute payments and the good financial state of the club will mean we will be in a very healthy position if we do go down.  Why don''t you get it?   The club is pragmatic and is being run on a sound basis.    The premiership is still the aim, but as many people have said, the championship is not the worst division to be in either - and we would be strong if we do go down - and able to have a shout at coming straight back up. I am still of the opinion that we will stay up on the basis of a win next week, but if you still want to throw away the work of the season, players that have come in, improved defence with the prospect of  more players coming in this summer,  to replace the manager with another unknown quantity -  then that is up to you.   Naive? I don''t think so.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]I''ll have a pint of whatever you have been drinking LDC. For God''s sake give your patronising twaddle a rest and smell the coffee.[:@][/quote]Thank you for your considered opinion, but in the world I live in, I try see things as they are and not treat my football club as some kind of toy that if things aren''t quite how I want them, throw a tantrum and wail and cry as if the world is coming to an end.  We lost a football match, one in which we played quite well in for long spells.      We have a match next week where we can play well and win.   Patronising twaddle if you like, but  I prefer that to most of the doom and gloom twaddle  on here today.  [/quote]
[/quote]If we lose that game and go down, I am still enough of a realist to know that it is not the end of the world.   This is not a club in decline as we were four years ago.  Everything is in place for the next few years to be sucessful and if fans could only hold their nerve instead of jumping on the "Roeder factor bandwagon" we would be alright.  We are not heading for league one.  We might not even be heading for the championship.   Hughton is still imo a strong manager and given time will - repeat will - get the success we all want.   Its still early days and yes its not pleasant at the moment, but a gloom and doom scenario it is not.    And we are still in there fighting - at least some of us are.

[/quote]
[/quote]

The money is not an issue.   Parachute payments and the good financial state of the club will mean we will be in a very healthy position if we do go down.  Why don''t you get it?   The club is pragmatic and is being run on a sound basis.    The premiership is still the aim, but as many people have said, the championship is not the worst division to be in either - and we would be strong if we do go down - and able to have a shout at coming straight back up. I am still of the opinion that we will stay up on the basis of a win next week, but if you still want to throw away the work of the season, players that have come in, improved defence with the prospect of  more players coming in this summer,  to replace the manager with another unknown quantity -  then that is up to you.   Naive? I don''t think so.

[/quote]
How did the parachute payments work out for Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton? Going down is not a good thing and the club should have done everything in it''s power to make sure it didn''t happen. Instead, like you, they have stood idly by pretending everything would come good. Instead when the fixture list got drawn and we saw City as our last game and we all crossed our fingers that we wouldn''t need anything from them, the inevitable has slowly arrived and no action has been taken. But that''s alright - let''s look at the positive reasons why this has all happened, eh?

Actually I think it is Armageddon in a footballing sense. This has all the hallmarks of 1995 - a massively expanding financial Premier League, a Championship full of big clubs and a Norwich City manager who can''t win games. If we go down, and although I hate to say it I think it is likely, we could take 10 years to get back.

I think Hughton is an honourable, decent man and I have absolutely no doubt that he will offer his resignation if we are relegated. I suspect McNally will too. I also suspect neither will be accepted.

We have one game to save ourselves - it''s almost a playoff final except we are at home against a team with nothing to play for except professional pride and in front of a passionate, desperate crowd. If we can''t win that one game, then we are looking at mid-table Championship next year. Not even a double over 1p5wich will make me feel better.

Stig How did the parachute payments work out for Wolves, Blackburn and

Bolton? Going down is not a good thing and the club should have done

everything in it''s power to make sure it didn''t happen. Instead, like

you, they have stood idly by pretending everything would come good.

Instead when the fixture list got drawn and we saw City as our last game

and we all crossed our fingers that we wouldn''t need anything from

them, the inevitable has slowly arrived and no action has been taken.

But that''s alright - let''s look at the positive reasons why this has all

happened, eh?

But we aren''t Wolves Blackburn or Bolton, are we?    No one is being overly positive.   We don''t want to go down, but we could.  That is the real picture.  Hughton as shown in previous positions is not a negative manager, but is in favour of a more balanced approach than someone like Lambert - who as we all know would have struggled this season too, if he had stayed here.      He hasn''t had time to build his team yet.   Give him another year - if he doesn''t start showing improved attack with more goals - whichever division we are in - then yes, that would be a time to change.   If he suceeds in building the team next year it means we will do better in the premiership if we are still in it, or we will be doing well in the championship.   Success is success- but if it doesn''t happen, then yes, that would be the time to move him on. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]

happened, eh?

But we aren''t Wolves Blackburn or Bolton, are we?    No one is being overly positive.   We don''t want to go down, but we could.  That is the real picture.  Hughton as shown in previous positions is not a negative manager, but is in favour of a more balanced approach than someone like Lambert - who as we all know would have struggled this season too, if he had stayed here.      He hasn''t had time to build his team yet.   Give him another year - if he doesn''t start showing improved attack with more goals - whichever division we are in - then yes, that would be a time to change.   If he suceeds in building the team next year it means we will do better in the premiership if we are still in it, or we will be doing well in the championship.   Success is success- but if it doesn''t happen, then yes, that would be the time to move him on. 

[/quote]

Do we all know that?

[quote user="lake district canary"]

happened, eh?

[/quote]
And we haven''t been succeeding since Christmas, so there has been more than enough time to move him on. But everyone has just watched on as if it was all okay.
And as Purple has just said... do we all know?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]

happened, eh?

But we aren''t Wolves Blackburn or Bolton, are we?    No one is being overly positive.   We don''t want to go down, but we could.  That is the real picture.  Hughton as shown in previous positions is not a negative manager, but is in favour of a more balanced approach than someone like Lambert - who as we all know would have struggled this season too, if he had stayed here.      He hasn''t had time to build his team yet.   Give him another year - if he doesn''t start showing improved attack with more goals - whichever division we are in - then yes, that would be a time to change.   If he suceeds in building the team next year it means we will do better in the premiership if we are still in it, or we will be doing well in the championship.   Success is success- but if it doesn''t happen, then yes, that would be the time to move him on.  [/quote]

Do we all know that?

[/quote]

Oh come on, we all saw how things were not so good in the closing part of last season.   The signs were there. 

[quote user="Johnny Stump"]Why do a lot of you think the Championship will be a walk in the park IF we go down? Because it won''t be.[/quote]

Who said it was going to be a walk in the park?   

[quote user="Johnny Stump"]Why do a lot of you think the Championship will be a walk in the park IF we go down? Because it won''t be.[/quote]
Like I said, Naivety.

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="Johnny Stump"]Why do a lot of you think the Championship will be a walk in the park IF we go down? Because it won''t be.[/quote]
Like I said, Naivety.
[/quote]

Like I said, who said it was going to be a walk in the park?

"The premiership is still the aim, but as many people have said, the championship is not the worst division to be in either - and we would be strong if we do go down - and able to have a shout at coming straight back up."
Not a walk in the park, but arrogant enough to think we will be in contention right away.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]

happened, eh?

But we aren''t Wolves Blackburn or Bolton, are we?    No one is being overly positive.   We don''t want to go down, but we could.  That is the real picture.  Hughton as shown in previous positions is not a negative manager, but is in favour of a more balanced approach than someone like Lambert - who as we all know would have struggled this season too, if he had stayed here.      He hasn''t had time to build his team yet.   Give him another year - if he doesn''t start showing improved attack with more goals - whichever division we are in - then yes, that would be a time to change.   If he suceeds in building the team next year it means we will do better in the premiership if we are still in it, or we will be doing well in the championship.   Success is success- but if it doesn''t happen, then yes, that would be the time to move him on.  [/quote]

Do we all know that?

[/quote]

Oh come on, we all saw how things were not so good in the closing part of last season.   The signs were there. 

[/quote]

So Lambert, armed with at least the budget given to Hughton, would not have spent the money to improve the squad while learning from any mistakes as a first-time manager in the Premier League? You are in the contradictory position of assuming that Hughton will improve as a manager while claiming as a fact that Lambert would not have.

[quote user="Stig"]"The premiership is still the aim, but as many people have said, the championship is not the worst division to be in either - and we would be strong if we do go down - and able to have a shout at coming straight back up."
Not a walk in the park, but arrogant enough to think we will be in contention right away.
[/quote]Would you disagree that we''ll have a chance of coming straight back up?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Stig"]"The premiership is still the aim, but as many people have said, the championship is not the worst division to be in either - and we would be strong if we do go down - and able to have a shout at coming straight back up."
[/quote]Would you disagree that we''ll have a chance of coming straight back up?[/quote]
I don''t know what our squad would look like, I don''t know who our manager would be, I don''t know what our fixture list would look like. So I can safely say I can''t answer that.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]I''ll have a pint of whatever you have been drinking LDC. For God''s sake give your patronising twaddle a rest and smell the coffee.[:@][/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

If we lose that game and go down, I am still enough of a realist to know that it is not the end of the world.   This is not a club in decline as we were four years ago.  Everything is in place for the next few years to be sucessful and if fans could only hold their nerve instead of jumping on the "Roeder factor bandwagon" we would be alright.  We are not heading for league one.  We might not even be heading for the championship.  

[/quote]

For Christs sake LDC,  just stop talking absolute twaddle, you just sound simple now.