Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Yo Yo Club?

Could we be like the WBA of a few years ago.this season is on a knife edge but if we go down there is hope. We have a very sound financial base and we have parachute payments for 4 seasons which would be the envy of many clubs in that division. The players do not have crippling contracts and we have many players who are very good by championship standards albeit struggle to impose themselves in the top flight. Yes there will be departures and additions but Norwich will be a very attractive club in the championship to both managers and players alike. I am not naïve enough to think promotion would be easy we know that division is very hard, Peterborough have just gone down with 54 points. I do see some similarities with us and WBA in seasons gone by before they became a settled PL side

No.

Imo, the gap between the Premier League and Championship means that the West Brom approach is no longer possible.

I think Premier League Clubs will get £90 million from Sky next season. Our parachute payment will be £22 million at most.

It''s a pity it has taken the Board 36 games to realize the cost of relegation.

So nobody now gets promoted from the Championship ? And if they do get promoted they don''t get the same money as other teams in the Premiership ? I didn''t know that....

What''s more relevent is the Fair Play rules in the Championship which means teams coming down have a much bigger advantage than before - provided you don''t have a mass of debts and sack your management team before you go into that division.

Fair Play rules are a joke.  Clubs are already finding ways around them, and journalists are openly sceptical as to the extent they will actually be enforced.

Following relegation, West Brom were able to keep their squad together and strengthen where necessary without getting themselves into huge amounts of debt.  This is also before footballers were earning the huge amounts they now earn, and, astronomical transfer fees.

NCFC now has a wage bill that it can''t sustain outside of the Premier League, and, is owned by an OAP with no money.

Imo, in future clubs that gain promotion from the Championship will fall into two categories;

1.  Owned by millionaires/billionaire

2. Owners who are willing to risk the long term future of their clubs massively in debt.

Of the 9 clubs relegated from the PL in recent seasons.  None of them have regained promotion.

Furthermore, 3 clubs who have been relegated from the PL have gone into administration in subsequent seasons.

Next season, one former PL team will play in League Two.  Another will play in League One. 

Life outside the PL will be far from rosy for NCFC

The Championship this season was a free-for-all. Anyone could beat anyone on any given day. It amazed me to think that it was a mere 25pts that separated relegation from promotion.