Sign in to follow this  
oli4700

An optimistic statistic...

Wigan have only won 1 of their last 5 premier league games! (yesterday''s game).

The way everyone is acting on here, it''s almost assumed that Wigan are going to win every game from now on.

So no-one should be assuming that they''re on blazing form. It''s not like they''re going to stroll to victory in the Swansea and Villa games, they couldn''t even beat West Ham and QPR.

The way I feel at the moment, is that if Wigan don''t beat Swansea they won''t beat Arsenal and then it comes down to Villa game. Wigan could win two, or could win none. Going to be tight.

We have to beat WBA.

To be fair I know everyone is going nuts on here, which is why I''ve not posted, but Wigan were INCREDIBLY fortunate to win yesterday judging by MOTD. 
WBA had two penalties denied, one of them was absolute stonewall, one was certainly in the "you''ve seen them given for less" column... Wigan cleared it off the line in the last minute of injury time and all sorts of other shenanigans. They really rode their luck.
Luck is something we''re not having much of at the moment, but there is no way Wigan can get that lucky in several consecutive games.
Anyone would think that Wigan are 1970 Brazil with the amount of utter $hite being touted on here. The fact is, they''re not a very good team who got a very fortunate win yesterday and have a habit of getting lucky towards the end of the season.
Yes, we are in real trouble, but Wigan have to go play Swansea (albeit without Michu), Arsenal away and Villa who are on a good run at the moment obviously, as we discovered, with 10 points out of the last 18 available.
Wigan are where they are because they''re not very good, and we are where we are because we''re not much better.
Even if Wigan win their game in hand vs Swansea, they still have to go to the emirates to play an Arsenal side with something to play for, and home vs Villa, and achieve more points than we do in comparable fixtures. 
We host WBA who have won 1 in the last 6. They host Villa who have 3 wins and a draw in their last 6.
We go away to the Etihad to play Man City who have nothing to play for. They go to the Emirates to face an Arsenal team still fighting for Champs Lg place.That''s all assuming they WIN vs Swansea. If they lose on Tuesday they will have it all to do vs Arsenal/Villa. We are in trouble but Wigan haven''t got a run in that is any easier than ours really.
Oh yeah, they also have the distraction of an FA cup final in the middle of all of that whilst we can focus on the job in hand.

GP is right we have to beat West Brom.

Up until this point I have been concerned by our play and results, but still convinced we would stay up. After yesterdays results I will quite happily admit I am genuinely worried for the first time.

I can see Wigan getting a minimum of 1 point in their next 2 fixtures. That leaves them needing a win against Villa who probably now won''t be in a position to be relegated by them if they lose.

I can see Sunderland beating one of Stoke or Southampton. The one saving grace we may have if we fail to beat West Brom is Newcastle failing to pick up the required points from QPR and Arsenal.

If we draw or lose to West Brom I think we are more than likely to go down. Even the most optimistic fan can''t see the Man City game as anything but a damage limitation exercise and our goal difference is already worse or now within a goal of those around us.

Having to stay up by our goal difference on the last day of the season is a terrifying thought. Beat West Brom and I think that issue gets put to bed, fail too and i''ll need to check the pant scale again for the exact rating, but mine will be sopping.

[quote user="oli4700"]Wigan have only won 1 of their last 5 premier league games! (yesterday''s game).

The way everyone is acting on here, it''s almost assumed that Wigan are going to win every game from now on.

So no-one should be assuming that they''re on blazing form. It''s not like they''re going to stroll to victory in the Swansea and Villa games,[/quote]Lambert will make sure that they beat Villa. He hates us now & he''s not at all bothered if we get relegated, in fact he''d just love it.Reference his interview in the Telegraph before yesterday''s game - "Would I prefer both Villa and Norwich to survive? No. It''s all about us now.

There''s no sentiment in football."

Two things are certain on the last day of the season - we will lose & Wigan will win. What happens before then is anyone''s guess.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/10036292/Aston-Villa-manager-Paul-Lambert-I-dont-care-if-Norwich-City-are-relegated-from-the-Premier-League.html

Last night it was all over in my mind and in my heart. Yet upon reflection IF and that is a very big IF we beat WBA it will IMO be highly probable that we will stay up with so many other teams involved now.

I have said to all that will listen for weeks as soon as it became clear that Villa and Wigan were going to win some matches that it is possible that 42 points will be needed in order to be safe.

I can see us going down on GD. We will not get anything at Man City and will probably lose by at least five goals. Forgetting the fact that they are the second best team in the league they are one of our bogey sides and used to always beat us even when we were a vastly better side than them.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="oli4700"]Wigan have only won 1 of their last 5 premier league games! (yesterday''s game). The way everyone is acting on here, it''s almost assumed that Wigan are going to win every game from now on. So no-one should be assuming that they''re on blazing form. It''s not like they''re going to stroll to victory in the Swansea and Villa games,[/quote]
Lambert will make sure that they beat Villa. He hates us now & he''s not at all bothered if we get relegated, in fact he''d just love it.
Reference his interview in the Telegraph before yesterday''s game -
"Would I prefer both Villa and Norwich to survive? No. It''s all about us now. There''s no sentiment in football."
Two things are certain on the last day of the season - we will lose & Wigan will win. What happens before then is anyone''s guess.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/10036292/Aston-Villa-manager-Paul-Lambert-I-dont-care-if-Norwich-City-are-relegated-from-the-Premier-League.html
[/quote]

So nothing to do with the paper looking to make a news story interesting? I dont believe for one second Lambert will not want Villa to win against Wigan, not because he wants to help us in anyway but because he wants to win every game. Also they have Chelsea in the next game, lose to them and it''s all still going to be close as they wont want to bank on us losing to Man City to stay up, even if it is very likely.

I agree with the above post, Lambert won''t want to lose a game. It''s not in his DNA to lose. Whether it helps us out or not, he will want to win that game.

[quote user="Yellow Bird"]I agree with the above post, Lambert won''t want to lose a game. It''s not in his DNA to lose. Whether it helps us out or not, he will want to win that game.[/quote]Like he wanted to win the FA Cup game against Leicester you mean

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Yellow Bird"]I agree with the above post, Lambert won''t want to lose a game. It''s not in his DNA to lose. Whether it helps us out or not, he will want to win that game.[/quote]Like he wanted to win the FA Cup game against Leicester you mean [/quote]

Ok, not that one. 99.9% of the others he has. Alot of managers want to exit from the cup.

I miss the positive approach !

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Yellow Bird"]I agree with the above post, Lambert won''t want to lose a game. It''s not in his DNA to lose. Whether it helps us out or not, he will want to win that game.[/quote]
Like he wanted to win the FA Cup game against Leicester you mean
[/quote]

He''ll want and need to keep the Villa fans onside if they just roll up on the last day and get stuffed 5-0, it''ll remind the Villa fans that this season hasnt actually been to great. The cup game against Leicester for us was very different when the league is a priority in alot of managers minds. But lose to Chelsea and they will still need the points if Wigan have won the games that most on here seem to think they are going to.