Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

IF we beat WBA, surely that will be enough?

...because so many of the remaining games are between the relegation candidates. They cant all win. If Sunderland beat Stoke tomorrow, Stoke then play Spurs an Southampton.

Let''s not forget Fulham who are on 40 and have Liverpool and Swansea away. So if we do get to 41, that leaves 7 sides other than us who will need to get the same points for us to go down.

This is truly horrendous though. It''s all i''m thinking about from the moment from the minute i wake to the moment i sleep. Times like this i wish i never discovered football.

It''s still a huge if.

Can you honestly see us having enough of an attacking threat to beat a team that''s been top half all season?

as they say small word massive meaning "if"

bet we get some pratt of a Ref too !

[quote user="a1canary"]...because so many of the remaining games are between the relegation candidates. They cant all win. If Sunderland beat Stoke tomorrow, Stoke then play Spurs an Southampton. Let''s not forget Fulham who are on 40 and have Liverpool and Swansea away. So if we do get to 41, that leaves 7 sides other than us who will need to get the same points for us to go down. This is truly horrendous though. It''s all i''m thinking about from the moment from the minute i wake to the moment i sleep. Times like this i wish i never discovered football.[/quote]

My worse scenario is we don''t pick up another point and go down on goal difference with Newcastle finishing above us, I can see them not getting another point and the same with us, but I think Man C will hammer us and ruin are goal difference, however if we do manage to win Saturday, I would suggest its likely we are safe

I agree. IF we can beat WBA, it should be enough, because we''d surely go above several other teams (e.g. Villa have Chelsea, so possibly a defeat, meaning they''d still have to ensure they don''t lose to Wigan) and that puts distance between us and relegation place. They won''t all win on the last day, as too many are playing each otherJust one decent win (we haven''t one by more than a single goal all season) one early goal against WBA to settle the nerves. That''s all we want

As totally depressing as yesterday was where football was concerned and for me other heart wrenching factors too we can''t go into this game against WBA thinking we aren''t going to win it. We have shown in other matches, teams higher than WBA that we can put on a performance and have what it takes to get all 3 points. I feel if Wigan lose/draw on Tuesday we will be ok, but if they win I think the pressure for the players is going to be massive and it''s a case of if we have the bottle to cope with it.

[quote user="Simo8686"]

[quote user="a1canary"]...because so many of the remaining games are between the relegation candidates. They cant all win. If Sunderland beat Stoke tomorrow, Stoke then play Spurs an Southampton. Let''s not forget Fulham who are on 40 and have Liverpool and Swansea away. So if we do get to 41, that leaves 7 sides other than us who will need to get the same points for us to go down. This is truly horrendous though. It''s all i''m thinking about from the moment from the minute i wake to the moment i sleep. Times like this i wish i never discovered football.[/quote]

My worse scenario is we don''t pick up another point and go down on goal difference with Newcastle finishing above us, I can see them not getting another point and the same with us, but I think Man C will hammer us and ruin are goal difference, however if we do manage to win Saturday, I would suggest its likely we are safe

[/quote]This is my fear too although I cannot see us losing against WBA which means that Newcastle need to pick a point up somewhere.

Yes it''s a big if but i think people are being a little down on that possibility (very understandably after yesterday) - if we can perform like we have done at home in games like v wigan, man u, spurs, arsenal that should be enough. It''s West Brom, not Chelsea. Good side but beatable.

Also i think the core of our players do have it in them to really pull out one more good performance to save themselves, to preserve what they have achieved with this club. They are invested in the club. I trust our squad to put in a good performance v WBA more than i would say Newcastle, much of whose squad are new to the club and have no legacy to protect. It''s all in the mind at this stage. We know we''re good enough on our day to get a home win against WBA.

It is so painful. We are all living on hope.

We have to win on Saturday, those two pints dropped at Southampton at home are killing us. Our players owe us loads this season. I feel let down by them as much as anyone else as when they cross on the pitch it is their lack of quality or lack of concentration which shows us the fragility of using the term premiership players.

We have 180 minutes where we need to get points. This Saturday is now so critcial delighted that we have cancelled the end of year dinner etc. this is serious. We have to win on Saturday. Our players have to win, not have a nervy game.

Guess we will all be watching hoping for a Sunderland win and Swansea doing something.

Our best hope for survival is that Wigan do no better than draw 2 and lose 1 of their remaining three games.

Let''s assume we beat WBA and receive our usual thrashing at the hands of Manchester City. That would mean we have 41 points and almost certainly a worse goal difference to all the others around us.

Southampton would need 2 points from Sunderland A and Stoke H to finish above us on GD.

Villa would need 1 point from Chelsea H and Wigan A to finish above us on GD.

Newcastle would need 3 points from QPR A and Arsenal H to finish above us on GD

Sunderland would need 4 points from Stoke H, Southampton H and Spurs A to finish above us on GD.

Wigan would need 4 points from Swansea H, Arsenal A and Villa H to finish above us on GD.

All these are feasible outcomes and it is highly likely we''ll need a narrow defeat at the Etihad at the very worst to survive. I still can''t quite believe we have played ourselves into this situation just like the 84/85 season.

That''s a great summary Crafty, cheers.

I would say though that, if we are saying 41 points, we shouldn''t forget about Fulham and Stoke, who are both on 40.

Fulham have Liverpool h, Swansea a.

Stoke have Sunderland a, spurs h, Southampton a.

Certainly with regards to Stoke, if they are to take points off Sunderland and Southampton the that will hinder those teams also. They can''t both win when they play.

One key game for me is QPR v Newcastle next week. I''m not expecting a favour off QPR, but even a draw in that game, couple with a win for us against WBA, would mean Newcastle would have to beat Arsenal on the final day.

By the way Crafty, if we beat WBA, Wigan would need 6 points to overhall us, very closely on GD that is. Not 4 points.

We desperately need Swansea to take something off them on Tuesday.

I think we would be extremely unlucky if we get to 41 points and it isn''t enough, looking at the table as it stands and upcoming fixtures.

The problem is with the pressure and our current run I''m not sure we can guarantee the win we desperately need on Sunday, I''m willing and hoping we will, but I admit I am really worried, I honestly expected us to reach the 40 point mark by now.

If we require anything from the Man City game we are kidding ourselves if we think there''s anything but a remote chance we will get it, Man City having nothing to play for is irrelevant, neither did Fulham last time we were in this position.

Normally QPR will not prefer to kill Newcastle and to have them on same league next year so I much doubt that this game have any other outcome than away win.Also if Chelsea win over Spurs on midweek they will rest many players for Villa game 4 days before UEFA cup final and if Villa not loose this game they come to last weekend as tourist''s away at WigunWas best for us to keep Villa heavy on pressure at least hold this draw yesterday and they have much to play for away at Wigun  but we concede so poor goal at 89 min so we are on very very hard situation....

Is it putting a too positive spin on things to suggest that the late Villa goal could be a blessing in disguise? Now we know we must go for the win against WBA so will probably pick up the 3 points rather than being happy with a draw.