Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

New Lease of Life for many players

In the event of relegation many players on our books who were being viewed as surplus to requirement will get a reprieve ie Vaughan, Ayala, Barnett, Jackson , Fox and others. We will have the basis of a solid championship side if Becchio, Snodgrass Turner , Bassong and Ruddy stay. I do think RVW will never arrive which is a great shame. Properly managed if the worse comes to it with our financial stability we will be a strong contender to bounce back if the worst happens

Those word "strong contender to bounce back" send a shiver down my spine Yorkshire.

He has made good points , do you really believe we can beat WBA with our scoring record , they will be well up for it after losing at home to Wigan . Sorry but no more points for us and a thrashing at man city , they will want to go out on a high could be as many as 6 or 8 -0 . We have had our chance but blew it on too many occasions due to missed chances, had we got hooper we could have been in top ten. We got in Karmara and becchio to solve the problem but now we are back as before . Really feel for becchio give him a chance can''t do any worse than current strikers

You really think Hooper would have been our saviour? Not me I''m afraid.

It''s very dangerous, thinking we''d come straight back up. I remember our first match in 2006 - 7, against Coventry. The discussion was between whether we''d tonk them or let them off with a modest 2 - 1; we drew, & were lucky to get that. The rest is history ...

New lease of life. Sorry I think not.

We need a new group of players whatever happens. I am afraid we have deadwood who have been bit part for over two seasons, in that time the championship has got better and I believe players like fox would not walk into a first team of a top 8 championship team, sj would not be a forward in a top 8 team.

For heaven sake wolves were interested in jacko and look where. They are off too.

Lets see how this horrid season ends, either way I think there is a massive need to improve our first11 and our squad players.

If the worst did come to the worst, we would certainly not be in the financial/other mess of some recently-relegated sides (Wolves, Blackburn, Brum), the benefit of our PL stint seeing us being debt-free, but we should not think we''d necessarily do better than those like Blackpool or Bolton.

That said, we have been ''picking up'' some of the better players from the Champs over the last two seasons so if we were to keep them we''d hopefully have a decent chance: the key thing would be keeping those guys together, as we did in 1985.

With the present squad I''m not really sure we could hope for a top-six finiash in the Championship. The finishing is awful, the midfield is not creating much and the defence is slow generally and slow in particular at blocking.

If RvW somehow wriggles out, then we must find some strikers. Becchio will be OK, but Holt seems to have had it fro some reason. Could we hang on to Vaughan by some means, and would we want to hang on to Jackson, who has never been a proflic striker with us.

In the defence Garrido is too slow and loses concentration. Even Turner has little pace, and Martin and Whittaker struggle against pace.

If, as now seems very likely, we are in the Championship next season, there will be some serious rebuilding to do. Part of our problem when we won promotion to the Premiership was that we did it much sooner than expected, and before we had assembled a squad for the top division. We got away with in the first season as new boys and a little unknown, and because several players played so well they could not repeat it this time. We want permanence in the top flight, and this time we must be patient and build - the original plan.

If we are in the Championship next year - and it''s still possible we won''t - there really are not too many teams that should scare us. Yes I know all about about Coventry and when we were last relegated from the Premier League, but this is the lineup - less one of Watford, Brighton, Crystal Palace and Leicester plus one out of Brentford, Yeovil, Sheff Utd or Swindon.

Barnsley

Birmingham

Blackburn

Blackpool

Bolton

Bournmouth

Brighton

Burnley

Charlton

Crystal Palace

Derby

Doncaster

Huddersfield

Ipswich

Leeds

Leicester

Middlesborough

Millwall

Notts Forest

Reading

QPR

Watford

So if we do gho down a major rebuild isn''t likey to be needed in my opinion, but we do need to build a team with pace and accuracy of passing which is what you need in the higher division and doesn''t do you any harm in this one.