Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Will 41 points be enough?

I think so. I don''t see Newcastle,Sunderland and Newcastle all getting to 41 points. If we beat WBA we''ll stay up. A draw will be touch and go. 39 points i think will be what 17th and 18th finish on, so it would come down to goal difference and then goals scored (we have scored less than Wigan and Newcastle I believe).

38 won''t be, 39 could be but it would possibly be goal difference, 40+ will do it. So a win or 2 draws needed. We''re more than capable of beating West Brom but it really shouldn''t be coming to this.

41 will be enough to stay up, OTBC

How will they try to ratchet the atmosphere up yet again for Sunday, the purveyor of cardboard clappy things must be rubbing his hands together, I,ve got 8 of them now LDC I will send you one if you like so you can wave it when your on your stream.

We were more than capable of raising our game to beat Man Utd, Arsenal, Everton to name 3 top sides, but its the mid to lower table teams where we have had the problem. Wigan (a), stoke (a) to name two recently where we were woeful. Its dangerous to approach the game as "its only west brom at home". We have a 1 game shoot out coming up. As another post this morning its ''win or die''

It looks to me that 40 will not be enough.  Any team on 40 points now could still be in there at the end of the season.  If Chelsea beat Villa and Wigan beat Villa on the last day, having won  their game in hand, they have got 41, Villa 40.   We have to win against WBA to get to 41 and Sunderland may win one to get to 40,  so you could end up with  two clubs on 40, if not more.   In that sense Fulham are not safe either with two difficult games, on 40 points. Stoke, Southampton have difficult games.   So a lot to play for as there are still a lot of clubs that could be in the mix on the final day.  40 points looks to me to be not enough.

[quote user="djc"]But will 38 points be enough?[/quote]

Probably not. for 38 points to be enough one of the following will have to happen

• Wigna have to only get 2 points from their three games
  • Newcastle none from 2
  • Disneyland none from 3

Wigna seem to be able to get points when you expect them not to.  the way things are going for them at the moment they''ll win the FA cup and the games against arsenal and villa.

Newcastle have a trip to a poor QPR

Disneyland will get points from stoke tomorrow.

for city to go down on 41 points you need Wigna to get three points from Swansea and one of Villa or Arsenal. Plus if Wigna beat Villa then Villa have to have gotten something from Chelski. (plus a number of other results going to form or at least against us)

[quote user="lake district canary"]It looks to me that 40 will not be enough.  Any team on 40 points now could still be in there at the end of the season.  If Chelsea beat Villa and Wigan beat Villa on the last day, having won  their game in hand, they have got 41, Villa 40.   We have to win against WBA to get to 41 and Sunderland may win one to get to 40,  so you could end up with  two clubs on 40, if not more.   In that sense Fulham are not safe either with two difficult games, on 40 points. Stoke, Southampton have difficult games.   So a lot to play for as there are still a lot of clubs that could be in the mix on the final day.  40 points looks to me to be not enough.[/quote]I think you''re saying 40 points won''t be enough?

I am sorry to say I can''t see us beating west brom, I think a draw is the best we can hope for

I am sure mr positive will be sending the team out with a get a draw mentality

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"]It looks to me that 40 will not be enough.  Any team on 40 points now could still be in there at the end of the season.  If Chelsea beat Villa and Wigan beat Villa on the last day, having won  their game in hand, they have got 41, Villa 40.   We have to win against WBA to get to 41 and Sunderland may win one to get to 40,  so you could end up with  two clubs on 40, if not more.   In that sense Fulham are not safe either with two difficult games, on 40 points. Stoke, Southampton have difficult games.   So a lot to play for as there are still a lot of clubs that could be in the mix on the final day.  40 points looks to me to be not enough.[/quote]I think you''re saying 40 points won''t be enough?[/quote]

I think your not wrong........

Wigan have Swansea, Arsenal and Villa ; there is every possibility that they wont pick up any more points, or even perhaps 2 draws at best that would leave them of 37. We stay up regardless. We should know by Sunday if a win will be a nail in the coffin, they lose to Swansea and then have to go to the Emirates I think that could be it.Sunderland have Stoke, Southampton and Spurs; hard to call could see them getting a draw against stoke and Southampton and loosing to spurs, a win on saturday could see us safe. We will know the picture better after tomorrow nights game, I''ll be a stoke supporter for sure, Sunderland are not out of the mire by any means. They lose tomorrow and it really is game on, we could draw on saturday and hope they do too and then Spurs batter them making the man City game irrelevant. Newcastle have QPR and ArsenalNow I think that Newcastle are the real relegation contenders, they HAVE to get something against QPR as I just cant see them winning against arsenal. The QPR one would be such a hard one to call, I actually think that on their day QPR have the personel to beat anyone and have at times just been plain unlucky.. other times awful. If they beat the Toon that could be game over for them.41 points will definetly be enough in my opinion and to be honest there is every possibility that we could draw on Sunday (i really hope we dont) and that would be enough. Heck we could lose both and still stay up is Sunderland and Wigan lose their last 3... stranger things have happened.

Fair enough, just thought you might like to join in with the rest of us.

But if Sunderland beat Stoke and Wigan beat Swansea. Equals.11th is on 40pts, and 18th on 38pts.

If that is, or isn''t the case...For me there is too many clubs involved for someone to go down with 41pts.

39might be safe...

but that''s relying on QPR beating Newcastle, and it still possible that Newcastle could get a point to Arsenal.

If Stoke beat Sunderland comfortably, and that''s not by the scoreline but by the gameplay... I might start to think Saints could do the same.

I''ve been very confident the last few months and weeks, I thought we had plenty of opportunities to win, and with our home record probability would come up with that 3pts.

* Sunderland 1-1 was good point... could have been so much more

* Swansea 2-1 was looking good... 2-2

* Arsenal 1-0 was nearly there....

* Stoke at HT looked like a point and would have kept us above them... could have done a job.

* Villa 1-1 started to think point was in the bag... and probably enough considering chelsea/wigan.

So we head to the last chance saloon really home to WBA... and either way, I wont mind at long as we cant look to the officials. As at this point in time, I''m getting incredibly frustrated.. I strongly believe they would have took Gabby off had bennett gone.

Couple of interesting evenings watching the box next week.

Lets hope for the right results

[quote user="Baracouda"]But if Sunderland beat Stoke and Wigan beat Swansea. Equals.11th is on 40pts, and 18th on 38pts.

If that is, or isn''t the case...For me there is too many clubs involved for someone to go down with 41pts.

39might be safe...

but that''s relying on QPR beating Newcastle, and it still possible that Newcastle could get a point to Arsenal.

If Stoke beat Sunderland comfortably, and that''s not by the scoreline but by the gameplay... I might start to think Saints could do the same.

I''ve been very confident the last few months and weeks, I thought we had plenty of opportunities to win, and with our home record probability would come up with that 3pts.

* Sunderland 1-1 was good point... could have been so much more

* Swansea 2-1 was looking good... 2-2

* Arsenal 1-0 was nearly there....

* Stoke at HT looked like a point and would have kept us above them... could have done a job.

* Villa 1-1 started to think point was in the bag... and probably enough considering chelsea/wigan.

So we head to the last chance saloon really home to WBA... and either way, I wont mind at long as we cant look to the officials. As at this point in time, I''m getting incredibly frustrated.. I strongly believe they would have took Gabby off had bennett gone.[/quote]

Officials have smashed us in 3 of those games and pretty much cost us a further 8pts. Imagine being sat on 46pts now..if only!

As you say my friend...last chance saloon. One last ride, one last trip together at home and all our hopes and prayers are pretty much on this one. I can''t believe it''s come to this, but there it is. I will celebrate like no other if we win, be apprehensive with a draw and keep my fingers crossed other results go our way...lose and I (amongst many others) will sink into one hell of a black hole of sadness and loss. All those plans for next season in the Prem and what could have been with RVW being the start of the future blueprint with more flair and guile taking us further than ever..my dear Lord....it''s actually too much to think about right now..OTBC...never mind the danger...

WIN OR DIE

Win sat and we stay up. Simple as that. Though its been that sorta season i have lost faith in even gettin a draw from this match.

I think 38 points NEEDS to be enough!

WBA will come to town probably smarting from back to back defeats (Wigan & Man City away) and unleash a similar performance that Southampton witnessed two weekends back. I can''t see beyond a comfortable defeat at Man City. In other words I can see two defeats to come.

I''m praying for Wigan to at most draw with Swansea, lose to Arsenal and draw with Villa but it''s that final fixture that really worries me!