Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Pilkington

Thoughts on his performance yesterday? I thought he was completely ineffective for 90 mins and looks a shadow of the Pilks of last season, this is down to Hughton and Calderwood, obviously, and smacks of the Roeder era when good players were playing well below there ability level.

Surprised not to see him get to the by-line very much.

His natural instinct is to go on the outside (bit like Cole Trickle) with the ball, or drift into the box off the ball.

Didnt see much of that yesterday.

Natural instincts curbed by instructions from the gaffer or just devoid of confidence? Hard to tell

First game back after injury, so probably lacking full match fitness/sharpness. He tried when going forward, but it was defensively that he was poor. He should have put a tackle on agbonlahor for their winner. If he fouled him so be it. We''d take a yellow card. Much like Tettey on Bale for their equaliser at CR.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Surprised not to see him get to the by-line very much.

His natural instinct is to go on the outside (bit like Cole Trickle) with the ball, or drift into the box off the ball.

Didnt see much of that yesterday.

Natural instincts curbed by instructions from the gaffer or just devoid of confidence? Hard to tell[/quote]

A naturally attacking player whose instinct has been dulled by a manager with boring styles as his mantra [:@]

Radio commentary yesterday suggested Pilks positioning when receiving ball was wrong. He had his back to opposition goal lots, which meant he could only play ball backwards or inside, whereas if he were facing forward he could run towards the villa goal. I wasnt there yesterday, couldnt go, so had to reply solely on radio snorfolk.....

Seemed to pop up all over the pitch and do not a lot in particular. I think it''s the formation letting them down though - last year he scored a lot of goals, and despite his injuries this year you would have expected more of the same

"His natural instinct is to go on the outside" Absolute rubbish. Either passes or comes inside - far too predictable. Bennet''s final delivery isn''t always great but at least he does take on and commit defenders. For me Pilkington is one of our most over-rated players

I thought he had a good game, considering this was his first game back in a while.He was involved in a lot of attacking play, and switched well with Snoddy, managing to pop up in all sorts of places. Didn''t look in any was shackled to a position for me.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]should have taken out Agbonlahor instead of letting him run for the first goal!![/quote]Brilliant[Y]

Agree he is a bit overrated but have to say I thought he showed some movement off the ball and we looked to have more attacking options as of late. Unfortunately in common with others he has lost all confidence when it comes to the final ball etc. Does have spells when he tends to disappear for a while.

It was interesting to read the comment that every time he received the ball he was facing the wrong way. You can again relate this to all of our players and this is a serious defect which has actually stunted our attacking play all season. There is simply a lack of ability or coaching whereby our passing is short to players heavily marked and playing the ball in space in front of a player is seldom seen. Yesterday Garrido stood in the opponents half with acres of space but rarely did he receive a decent pass.

Just read vos''s post & the point about our passing reminded me of something that occurred to me ages ago: why do we always seem to pass slightly behind instead of where the player can run onto it?

I suppose the answer is that our players are just not good enough at finding space. Or, more likely, if they do find space we don''t have the passing ability to find them in it. So they''ve given up.

It seems, whichever way you look, quality in midfield is lacking.

David Fox? I don''t believe Hughton wouldn''t have considered him if he thought it would help; I suspect it''s his lack of all-round ability that''s against him.