Sign in to follow this  
Mellow Yellow

Hughton must stay!

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Awww now you''ve hurt my feelings!

I realise this may come as a huge shock but the world isn''t waiting on your every word either. Unfortunately I''ve had no option but to see far too many of them today, invariable insulting people or just generally trying to pick a fight.

Perhaps when you look back on you "business" today you''ll realise that you''ve acted like a right tit. Probably not though eh.

I''ll leave you to have the last word, as I''m sure you will...[/quote]Oh I shall have the last word.With all the whining about forum etiquette can I just point out to you that before you came into this thread I was actually debating and talking about the topic on hand, and it is your petty agenda that has steered this thread off topic.Once again, I shall bid you good day[Y]

Thanks Ron re ''Is it the right Mello''? (Sorry can''t do the quote thingy)

Mello Yellow is using the original avatar so I assumed it is he. You may well be correct however as I have a noticed a distinct lack of humour from him these last few months.

Do you think Nutty Nigel has morphed into .... something too :-)

Sorry, just one more....

Not really a petty agenda, just pointing out that once again you''d attempted to pick a fight with another poster, this time clearly unprovoked.

Yes I realise I''m equally as culpable as you in this instance but you took the thread in this direction with your "phone or email" comment, I just called you on it.

Not a fan of that are you. You dish it out plenty, perhaps you should learn to take it.

Or just grow up. Either way is just fine.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Sorry, just one more....

Not really a petty agenda, just pointing out that once again you''d attempted to pick a fight with another poster, this time clearly unprovoked.

Yes I realise I''m equally as culpable as you in this instance but you took the thread in this direction with your "phone or email" comment, I just called you on it.

Not a fan of that are you. You dish it out plenty, perhaps you should learn to take it.

Or just grow up. Either way is just fine.[/quote]Right, so you got on your big white knight horse and rode to his rescue?Call me on what you like mate, I really couldn''t give a fig, and I have more than proved that I can take the abuse.But frankly you are getting boring now, and I should imagine this is also pretty boring for everyone else too.Do try and stay on topic (in accordance with the messageboard terms and conditions) theres a good chap[Y]

No white horses here fella, just don''t claim you don''t do something that you do.

That way I won''t have to bore everyone calling you on it and take it off topic :-)

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]No white horses here fella, just don''t claim you don''t do something that you do.

That way I won''t have to bore everyone calling you on it and take it off topic :-)[/quote]Well done, you have the entire forum''s gratitude for, errrr, whatever it was you were trying to do lol.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Thanks Ron re ''Is it the right Mello''? (Sorry can''t do the quote thingy) Mello Yellow is using the original avatar so I assumed it is he. You may well be correct however as I have a noticed a distinct lack of humour from him these last few months. Do you think Nutty Nigel has morphed into .... something too :-)[/quote]

I''m sure you''d benefit from a photograph of me Bury. I don''t mind buddy honest. You could make it into a wanted poster and pin it on the door of the Bury Sheriff''s office. Then perhaps some of your local knuckle draggers could hunt me down...

[;)]

Bury, the original MY does (very occasionally) still post. They''re usually short, droll & to the point - he seems to have a very cynical view of McNally et al''s motives.

I get the feeling he may have been requested to dilute the vitriol a touch.

Ah. Cheers Ron, that does seem to make sense. He had a great way of mixing his words in the Ronnie Barker style, or shpuld I say worms :-)

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Nuts I wouldn''t dream of even asking you for a pic. You do realise I am far more handsome than Morty don''t you?[/quote]You should pop into HQ Inner circle for a beer before a game, and we''ll see.(I''m proper ug, so don''t be afraid[;)])

Actually Morty I might well do that, if we stay up. Hotel Nelson aint it? Would be enjoyable.

One condition don''t tell Nutty I''m gay as my wife doesn''t even know

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Actually Morty I might well do that, if we stay up. Hotel Nelson aint it? Would be enjoyable.

One condition don''t tell Nutty I''m gay as my wife doesn''t even know[/quote]Yep, always nice when folks step out from behind the screen and be sociable.Your secrets safe[;)]

Without wishing to get into a slanging match I totally agree with much of what Morty has to say. When you look at a decision and whether it was the right one, you have to look at the circumstances surrounding it at the time and not what you know now. Good managers don''t fall out of the sky, every club is desperately looking for the right one. When we lost Lambert I personally felt the only two realistic candidates available who suited us given the make up of our squad were Hughton and Malky. Out of those two Hughton had the better track record so for me it was the right appointment. We were never going to get Adkins or McDermott at that time (both who subsequently went on to fail at Premiership level).

I don''t think the board have failed us in any regard  over mangerial decisions this season. To have sacked Hughton after about 8 games would have been madness. There was no cause to sack him in January when we had just come off the back of an excellent run of form and I honestly don''t see the point of sacking someone after January when there is no scope in the transfer window to fundamentally change anything. Those appointments are unsuccessful the majority of the time. Di Canio may pull it off for Sunderland but he is very much the exception rather than the rule. I also remain scepticial about how successful that will be in the longer term.

If the worst happens and we are relegated I don''t think his sacking should be a given. I like many fans am growing impatient at the poor results and poor football we''re seeing. But firstly who are the other options out there? I have seen calls for Martin O''Neill on here today. The man who was on the brink of taking Sunderland down with a budget far greater than ours. I also don''t want some journeyman clogger. If we are going to do this we need to do it properly and get another young progressive manager. Secondly I think it will be important to sit down with Hughton himself and see what he has learnt from this season. If he accepts there were times he should have been more assertive and tactically adaptable in games we can move forward. If not then it probably is time to part ways.

Morty states that "there was a general consensus that supporters were behind Hughton". I honestly do not think that has been the view over recent months. Like many, I initially thought his appointment had been well thought through and he would be as good as we could obtain. Having said that at the time I had little idea of his style of play or achievements. However the moment I saw our new style in the pre-season friendly against Ajax I was shocked to see such a massive change compared with the previous season. We set out with two rigid lines of defensive players who clearly had been coached to hold this formation and there was little inventive our attacking play evident. Yes, it was quality opposition, and needless to say we gained a home draw. Time and time again in the second half of a game this season we have seen Hughton consulting with Trollope as to how to change things, but nothing happens until it is far too late. The most disappointing aspect is that apart from John Ruddy not one player has improved this season. I do not go along with the comments that his interviews are articulate, he always avoids any reasoned answer about his team and merely says how good the opposition are.

[quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]

Without wishing to get into a slanging match I totally agree with much of what Morty has to say. When you look at a decision and whether it was the right one, you have to look at the circumstances surrounding it at the time and not what you know now. Good managers don''t fall out of the sky, every club is desperately looking for the right one. When we lost Lambert I personally felt the only two realistic candidates available who suited us given the make up of our squad were Hughton and Malky. Out of those two Hughton had the better track record so for me it was the right appointment. We were never going to get Adkins or McDermott at that time (both who subsequently went on to fail at Premiership level).

I don''t think the board have failed us in any regard  over mangerial decisions this season. To have sacked Hughton after about 8 games would have been madness. There was no cause to sack him in January when we had just come off the back of an excellent run of form and I honestly don''t see the point of sacking someone after January when there is no scope in the transfer window to fundamentally change anything. Those appointments are unsuccessful the majority of the time. Di Canio may pull it off for Sunderland but he is very much the exception rather than the rule. I also remain scepticial about how successful that will be in the longer term.

If the worst happens and we are relegated I don''t think his sacking should be a given. I like many fans am growing impatient at the poor results and poor football we''re seeing. But firstly who are the other options out there? I have seen calls for Martin O''Neill on here today. The man who was on the brink of taking Sunderland down with a budget far greater than ours. I also don''t want some journeyman clogger. If we are going to do this we need to do it properly and get another young progressive manager. Secondly I think it will be important to sit down with Hughton himself and see what he has learnt from this season. If he accepts there were times he should have been more assertive and tactically adaptable in games we can move forward. If not then it probably is time to part ways.

[/quote]Good stuff[Y]I would actually like him to consider changing his coaching staff if anything, I think that Culverhouse and Karsa were more of a loss than Lambert was.

[quote user="vos"]Morty states that "there was a general consensus that supporters were behind Hughton". I honestly do not think that has been the view over recent months. Like many, I initially thought his appointment had been well thought through and he would be as good as we could obtain. Having said that at the time I had little idea of his style of play or achievements. However the moment I saw our new style in the pre-season friendly against Ajax I was shocked to see such a massive change compared with the previous season. We set out with two rigid lines of defensive players who clearly had been coached to hold this formation and there was little inventive our attacking play evident. Yes, it was quality opposition, and needless to say we gained a home draw. Time and time again in the second half of a game this season we have seen Hughton consulting with Trollope as to how to change things, but nothing happens until it is far too late. The most disappointing aspect is that apart from John Ruddy not one player has improved this season. I do not go along with the comments that his interviews are articulate, he always avoids any reasoned answer about his team and merely says how good the opposition are.[/quote]No, it hasn''t been the general consensus over recent months, but my point was about the time he was appointed.I think people were expecting some kind of lambertesque rollercoaster story, and it is a bit naive to think that this happens too often.I think generally people need to temper their excitement a little, and play the long game.Now, obviously, if we get relegated, this dramatically changes how we play the game.

Despite being concerned about our Premiership future, I prefer to take a step back and reflect rather than get swept along by the hysteria, "truisms" and urban myths that appear to have sprung up arond Chris Hughton. Personally I I do not believe that Chis Hughton is the problem, I believe our problems stem from a distinct lack of quality in any sort of depth in the squad, evidenced by the injuries to Ruddy, Bassong, Tettey, Whittaker and Pilks, who were all instruemental in the ten match unbeaten run.

I have seen the suggestions that changing the manager will cure our ills, it will not, QPR, Reading tried that and failed, apparently this approach has suceeded for Southampton and Sunderland, last time I looked they are both far from mathmatically safe and still in the relegation mix. Chis Hughton was supposedly sacked by Newastle Utd because he was not up to the job (The reaction from within the game at the time suggests otherwise) and his experienced replacement (who has spent shedloads of cash) finds himself in an equally parlous position as Norwich City.

I believe that if we stay up we will see a totally different Norwich City under Chris Hughton, assuming the board decides he is the man for the job.... but I suggest they take a look at clubs such as Blackburn, Leicester, Wolves, Ipswich etc who have tried the "hire them and fire them approach"...... 

we should remember as unbelivable as it seems, Hughton actually managed to win a league with Newcastle with over 100 points.

In order to do that he must know how to set up a team to attack and score goals. I''m not saying he should stay here next season if he gets us relegated as I believe he would havr forfieted his right to do so.  But ''if'' he stayed and had a pool of strikers at his disposal along the lines of Van Wolfswinkel (I''m taking McNally''s assurances at face value ....for now), Holt,Becchio and Vaughan............surely he could fashion a promotion contending team with that?!.....couldn''t he?

Morty - I accept the responses you have made. But with the best will in the world I just cannot see Hughton making any changes in his approach which will satisfy the wishes of even the most undemanding supporter. I desperately hope we are not relegated, but I just have no confidence in the man changing his tactics to make us a force even in a lower division. He is so cautious and negative that for arguably the biggest game of the season he left our commanding international goalkeeper out of the team.

From the hearsay on here that would seem to be the case regarding Ruddy, if it is true then it was another totally inept decision from Hughton.

[quote user="vos"]Morty - I accept the responses you have made. But with the best will in the world I just cannot see Hughton making any changes in his approach which will satisfy the wishes of even the most undemanding supporter. I desperately hope we are not relegated, but I just have no confidence in the man changing his tactics to make us a force even in a lower division. He is so cautious and negative that for arguably the biggest game of the season he left our commanding international goalkeeper out of the team.[/quote]The previous poster makes an interesting point though, he won the league with Newcastle, with 100 points, so perhaps it isn''t actually in his makeup to be negative, and he really did have to cut his cloth accordingly this season?I don''t know about Ruddy, I was in two minds there, part of me thought it a little harsh to drop Bunn, but I can also see the value in bringing Ruddy back in, maybe next week, eh?

Missed your replies Morty; I wasn''t ignoring you, just washing my hair.

As you should be aware I have been criticising Hughton''s tactics etc for many months. I haven''t suddenly changed my views.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

Missed your replies Morty; I wasn''t ignoring you, just washing my hair.

As you should be aware I have been criticising Hughton''s tactics etc for many months. I haven''t suddenly changed my views.

[/quote]No problemo[Y]

Next week is gigantic in terms of our near future as a football club.If we beat West Brom and stay up then hunky dory, I''m sure we''ll all go down riverside after the match and get absolutely sloshed (that''s my plan anyway...)

If we draw and if Wigan beat Swansea (god forbid this should happen) then we will be on the brink of relegation.Make no bones about it. Next week is huge.

Excellent post SoB.

Lambert was never going to repeat that first season with that squad - one of the main reasons he jumped ship - & we are not a rich enough club to finance his ambitions. It''s pretty obvious Hughton is trying to strengthen the squad from defence - our major problem, & the one requiring least expenditure - before attempting to recruit quality up front. RVW is proof of this.

I desperately want him to succeed because he is one of the good guys, a rational, thoughtful, honest manager. His character suits NCFC to a tee.

Next season he could really start building a team for the future.

Dear God, send us a slice of luck next Sunday!

I do not doubt that you have been criticising Hughtons tactics for months Rude Old, however I still believe these are dicated by the resources available to him rather than the man himself, nothing you have posted has made me question change my opinion away from our decline being linked to injuries to key players and the lack of strenghth in depth in our squad....

I suspect you could add the abject behaviour of Steve Morison to that SOB. Why was he sold so suddenly with a player we don''t really seem to want as part of the deal?