Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Hoolahan sub/Jackson sub

Bewildering decisions from Hughton. Fair enough two strikers and two wingers in Pilks and Snoddy looks the right balance but for me at the time the sub was made Pilks was totally ineffective and Hools was still having a good game, looked well up for it, and showed some Messi like skills to get away from his markers yesterday, I lost count of the times he wriggled and twisted out of troubke and into space with some great footwork, lost the ball a million times less than in recent weeks too, the short spell out of the team seems to have done him good. Was instrumental in the good attacking positions we got into, albeit with little end result, which wasn''t his fault.

As usual tho Wessi is let down by the standard of player around him. You put Van P and Rooney ahead of him and he would look world class, ditto a Tevez & Ageuro etc.

Anyway I digress, my point is the Hools sub was ineptitude by Hughton, and the Jackson sub for Garrido who was taking the throw in, was madness, Brad Johnson went ballistic as it was such a catastrophe and I''m sure we lost about a minute of injury time as I doubt Kevin ''Friend'' stopped the watch.

If fans saw those two decisions as inept and clueless is it unrealistic to think certain players may think the same?

Hoolahan runs out of steam towards the end of matches,  Snodgrass was a liability for large parts of the game, getting on the ball a lot but then failing to deliver.   For someone who gets on the ball so much and demands to take free kicks, he doesn''t do enough for me.   So those two subs were understandable.   i guess sending Jackson on was the last ditch attempt to get something.

Your unbelievable LDC. You have no idea why he took Snoddy off have you?

I think he took him off because he was tired. There was a ball forward that he din''t chase and he immediately got Bennett on. I couldn''t understand the booing when Hoolahan went off. He had an extremely poor game and looked like a player totally drained of confidence. Of all the times the fans shout "you don''t know what you''re doing", i was amazed this was the time they chose. He gives opportunities for this constantly, but this was a rare occasion where he got his sub call right and he got berated!

The Jackson sub was a typical Hughton sub. too little too late.

Snoddy looked spent a good 5/10 mins before he went off from where I was stood, which admittedly is the other end of the ground, but I think he was finally taken off because he went down and looked to be holding his hamstring.

Yes that''s right booklet, Snoddy was completely shagged, a spent force who had given everything he had, a top man!

The subs made perfect sense to me, Bennett as fresh legs and deliver more into the box, and Jackson as a last ditch attempt to get something out of the game.And why wouldn''t the ref stop his watch for the substitution? Unless you have evidence of some kind of conspiracy theory, of course?And actually Garrido, once he realises he was being subbed got off the pitch fairly sharpish, so I don''t see the issue?

Come on LDC. I accept Hoolahan was less effective in the second half but he was still one of the more likely of them to make something happen. As was Snodgrass who only went off through injury. It was a match we needed to win. Just look at where we are now.

As per most matches Hoolahan flattered to deceive.

27 appearances 3 goals (one from 6 inches that was going in) and 2 assists. He looks busy, runs around a lot but delivers very little. Even though he sees so much of the ball I''m sure it must be Hughton''s fault he hasn''t got better stats, after all everything else seems to be Hughton''s fault.

So who exactly are we favouring for WBA? Hoolahan in a 4-5-1 or a 4-4-2 with Holt/Becchio? Pilks to play again or Snoddy on left and Benno on right?

I''d personally have swapped Snoddy to left when it was apparent that Pilks wasn''t creating much and got Benno attacking on the right against their dodgy LB. Ifs and buts though

Wes was ok (as opposed to a bystander v Swansea) but a perfectly reasonable sub - we were chasing it more and putting a ''full'' striker on was absolutely fine by me, Kei is more of a goal threat than Wes, for sure.

For WBA for me it must be 442 with Holt Becchio as the two.

Unfortunately I am not sure who will supply them with anything as our midfield has struggled all season.

As I have said on another thread we have a good Championship squad, not a Premiership one.

Ask yourself two simple questions-

a) How many of our players do you think supporters of other Premiership clubs would want in their teams?

b) How many of our players could easily be named by supporter of other Premiership teams (How many Reading players can you name?)

Poor decisions against Sunderland, Arsenal and Villa. Ruddy out for so long. 14 draws - Ruddy alone would have guaranteed some of those draws were wins. It''s not a Championship squad. Not yet anyway. We definitely need a better midfield and attack, but our defence and first choice keeper alone would have had us safe by now if they were together most of the season. Let''s hope the big man is back against WBA and that Becchio is given a FULL chance and becomes a hero. Otherwise Jacko for another heroic performance a la Portsmouth?

I don''t rate Simeon at all as a Premiership player, but he''s a determined little bugger & will run his socks off for you.

Didn''t he get a hat-trick by chesting the ball in once? He might just be the man to give us that slice of luck we desperately need.

I know it''s clutching at the proverbials, but I think I might play him against WBA.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]As per most matches Hoolahan flattered to deceive.

27 appearances 3 goals (one from 6 inches that was going in) and 2 assists. He looks busy, runs around a lot but delivers very little. Even though he sees so much of the ball I''m sure it must be Hughton''s fault he hasn''t got better stats, after all everything else seems to be Hughton''s fault.[/quote]Agree with this. The stats speaks for themselves - he has created very little this season. So why do some ''fans'' boo when he''s taken off? What would they have done instead? Taken off a CM and reverted to Lambert''s diamond formation? You don''t think the new team of Lambert himself would have been able to deal with that? Giving Hoolahan 60 minutes in 4-2-3-1 and then replacing him with an impact striker in a 4-4-2 was very sensible tactics. The booing was just idiotic.

Don''t sensationalise this.

The Villa 2nd goal forced Hughtons hand to bring Jackson on. Up to the 89th minute we hadn''t needed a 3rd striker ffs. At 88 minutes, I didn''t hear anybody going apoplectic wanting Jackson on.

Re Hoolahan, I would probably have taken off Johnson or Howson, not because either was having a particularly bad game, but just to keep Hoolahan on (who can offer something creatively a little bit different to others) Hughton saw it differently to keep two wide players on.

The vast majority of posts since Saturday, would be of a totally different nature if it was not for Agbonlahor''s 2nd goal