Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

2 wins in half a season

2 wins in 19, that''s shocking. People say if Hughton keeps us up he''s done his job, does that mean if we go down he should be sacked. I would sack him whatever the outcome. He''s negative style has cost us big time, home draws to Fulham, southampton, qpr, newcastle to name just a few.

When you put it like that it makes me feel disgusted that the clown is still even here. If anything it goes to show how gutless McNally actually is. I''d have thrown him out a long while ago if I was CEO.

[quote user="Stig"]When you put it like that it makes me feel disgusted that the clown is still even here. If anything it goes to show how gutless McNally actually is. I''d have thrown him out a long while ago if I was CEO.[/quote]

And the CEO wouln''t be far behind him Stig for not doing it sooner.

Imo, the culture of the club needs to fundamentally change. I think this can only truly happen when we are to have Supporters Trust/fan representation at Board level.

If Mcnally is as ruthless as we are led to believe i cant see any reason why Hughton wont be gone come end of season. Would anyone like the idea of a foreign manager coming in, the likes of Laudrup, Pochettino etc. Foreign managers know the foreign markets and thats where you pick up bargains, Chico, Michu, De Guzman etc

So, how to explain the 10 game unbeaten run, & us being 7th in the table?? How many other teams in the bottom half have been as high as that?

(Genuine question, as I can''t find it on Google).

And don''t try to dismiss it as s ''blip'', just because it suits your case.

The margins between success & failure are exceeding fine.

Good point Ron. But this is an important period in the blame game. For balance I''d like to hear from the "in McNally we trusters".

we can still finish higher than we did last season....i wonder what the consensus will be if we do?

Ron, IMHO the unbeaten run came off the back of us going 1 nil up early against Arsenal and the whole team defending like heroes and giving 100%.  Although I would also suggest Arsenal weren''t on top of their game.Winning breeds confidence, particularly beating a team of Arsenal''s ilk.  The longer the run went on the more confident we became, hence the results just kept getting better, culminating in our only away win of the season as Swansea.  As soon as that first defeat come, Hughton has been unable to pick the team up since.His inability to install confidence and motivate the team is IMHO why our season has been broken down into thirds.  The appalling start, the 10 match unbeaten run (kicked off by the players putting in a superb display against Arsenal) and the subsequent dross since the end of this run.    Having met Hughton several times, I''ve been of this opinion all season, which is why the longer our latest poor run has gone on, the less confident I have been of him turning it around. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Good point Ron. But this is an important period in the blame game. For balance I''d like to hear from the "in McNally we trusters".

[/quote]

I have never been in the "In McNally we trust" camp, and if anything good has come out of this it may be that fans are developing a more balanced view of him as CEO. That he has got some things right and some things wrong. Indeed if I was being provocative I would say that Doncaster did a better job in his first four years as CEO than McNally has in his...But I don''t see there was ever a time this season when it was obvious that the board (this would hardly have been McNally''s sole decision, although he might have made a strong recommendation) should have pulled the plug on Hughton.After the initial few games we had a great run, leading up to the transfer window. That, at the very least, did not go as planned but immediately after we picked up points - draws with QPR and Fulham and a win against Everton. Later on three draws against Southampton, Sunderland and Swansea.Not pretty to watch, and excruciating to follow from any kind of distance, but never in the relegation zone. And we could still stay up. If Villa lose to Chelsea and we beat WBA on SUNDAY ([:P]) the chances are we will. Given all that when should the board have sacked Hughton?

The posters that I want to hear from are all those who, at the start of the season, declared and avowed that they would be perfectly happy if we finished in 17th. position and stayed up!

our failure to get a striker in January is what has cost us. we put so much effort into RvW and Hooper, but never had a fall back option, (and Becchio was not that) so when it was obvious we would be unsuccessful in our primary targets we were stuffed.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I have never been in the "In McNally we trust" camp, and if anything good has come out of this it may be that fans are developing a more balanced view of him as CEO. That he has got some things right and some things wrong. Indeed if I was being provocative I would say that Doncaster did a better job in his first four years as CEO than McNally has in his...

But I don''t see there was ever a time this season when it was obvious that the board (this would hardly have been McNally''s sole decision, although he might have made a strong recommendation) should have pulled the plug on Hughton.

After the initial few games we had a great run, leading up to the transfer window. That, at the very least, did not go as planned but immediately after we picked up points - draws with QPR and Fulham and a win against Everton. Later on three draws against Southampton, Sunderland and Swansea.

Not pretty to watch, and excruciating to follow from any kind of distance, but never in the relegation zone. And we could still stay up. If Villa lose to Chelsea and we beat WBA on SUNDAY ([:P]) the chances are we will. Given all that when should the board have sacked Hughton?

[/quote]

I know you haven''t Purple. And neither have I. It seems crazy to blindly trust someone. I have been critical of him in some instances and supportive in others. Just as I was with Doncaster. It''s the blind faith brigade that get to me. On either side of the fence. And that blind faith is results based. When we are doing ok every decision is deemed right and when we are not doing ok every decision is deemed wrong. There''s no objectivity or balance.

I honestly believe that there is more chance of us staying up than going down. But we have to beat WBA. All the previous must win games were never that. This one is a must win. This is the one that''s like Palace in ''73. If we do McNally''s strength of character and bravery will be rewarded. because I think it''s weak men who make blind decisions and trust to luck. Sunderland were weak and I hope it back fires on them.

[quote user="Eadie4England"]2 wins in 19, that''s shocking. People say if Hughton keeps us up he''s done his job, does that mean if we go down he should be sacked. I would sack him whatever the outcome. He''s negative style has cost us big time, home draws to Fulham, southampton, qpr, newcastle to name just a few.[/quote]It''s the paltry 10 points gained away from home that''s been the problem.  I believe only Reading have a worse away record.The 28 points gained at home is actually fairly respectable for a mid-table side. But yes, failing to beat the teams below you (home or away) means you don''t build a points gap between you and them in the table. Hughton''s predecessor knew this all too well.

[quote user="Sacked in the Morning"]Imo, the culture of the club needs to fundamentally change. I think this can only truly happen when we are to have Supporters Trust/fan representation at Board level.[/quote]Daftest suggestion ever!Who do they have who knows anything about running a football club?With fans opinions often split over managers/chief execs/owners etc, how could they truly speak for all fans?Many clubs have one owner (we may have one day), why would they take notice of a supporters trust when their often huge investment is at stake?I don''t think supporters trust involvement would make a ha''pence worth of difference.