Sign in to follow this  
Tarquin

The precise moment in time our fate was sealed...

Holt''s penalty miss. That new contract is looking like a rather costly error at the moment.

Tbf Holt couldn''t have struck that penalty any better, it was more down to superb goalkeeping than any blame attached to Holt.

One moment and one error does not make a season.

Holty may not have had a great season but he certainly does not deserve that baggage.

I don''t think our entire season can come down to one penalty kick can it? Yes I realise that he missed and we would be on 40 points now rather than 38 but after 36 games and hundreds of minutes of football....What if Camp hadn''t flapped at Kone''s pot-shot?What if a lino hadn''t cheated us of a game at the FA''s favourite stadium?What if KK had attacked the ball vs Swansea?What if we hadn''t had Coco the Clown officiating at the Stadium of Light?What if an official had spotted Rickie Lambert bouncing the ball with his hand before scoring?What if we''d had a shot on target against Stoke and Wigan?Etc etc etc

"if" our fate is sealed................defeat at Wigan was one we couldnt afford, if we''d have come away with a draw ,I think Wigan would have had too much to do, whatever has/would have happened after that.

tried to play for a draw, with one striker, went a goal down and ended up with 3 on the pitch and fell between all stools.....a tactically pathetic and damaging afternoon by Hughton.

[quote user="paul moy"]Our fate was sealed when we signed Hughton !![/quote]

Agreed. The concerns were expressed before the season even started and were very apparent when we lost at Fulham.

[quote user="YellowBlood"]Tbf Holt couldn''t have struck that penalty any better, it was more down to superb goalkeeping than any blame attached to Holt.[/quote]

That isn''t the point. Virtually all Holt''s penalties in his Norwich career have gone to the keeper''s right, and the Southampton keeper knew that. A Guardian reporter (who is an NCFC fan)  who was at the game said the goalie actually stood slighty to the right of the half-way point on his goal-line. Holt struck it well enough but the keeper anticipated which way it going, and his positioning enabled him to make the save. Whether Holt saw the keeper was standing to one side I don''t know. If he did he certainly shouldn''t have taken up the challenge but just blasted it straight. It was no accident that on Saturday the Villa keeper dived right, but Holt changed his method went for the other corner.

If we had of scored in open play rather than relying on a penalty for three points, we wouldn''t be having this thread conversation.

It''s not down to a single decision. All clubs have decisions against them. We haven''t been good enough, it''s that simple. Yes it''s hard to take when ''little Norwich'' seem to have had alot go against us this season. I was livid after the Arsenal game. If we had of had someone who could score goals, it would have made all the difference.