Sign in to follow this  

There''s a strong wiff of defeatism on this board at the moment.   Too many feeling sorry for themselves and thinking the worst is going to happen.   Its time for a backs to the wall job with us as fans showing solidarity and support to will the boys on to win their next match.    Its going to take a heck of an effort from the players but with the right support they can do it.  We''ve beaten MU Arsenal Everton at home and have a  good overall home record.   So no need for the defeatism.  41 points would be enough.  

Supporters are going to make not one jot of difference.

Saturday''s game is all about Hughton''s formation and the mindset of the players.

AKA realists. Supporters are all behind the team and want them to do well, ridiculous to suggest otherwise. BUT what exactly suggests we have a good chance against West Brom? There will be noise from the fans but in the end where will we score from playing like we have since the New Year? Defeatist maybe, but for extremely valid reasons, can''t blame anyone for thinking we won''t win.

I think it''s more a case of realism. Willing the boys to victory will have bugger all effect if the players lack the wherewithall and stomach for the fight. There has been precious little evidence since the turn of the year that they do. We are also heading for a "must win" game under the guidance of a man whose every fibre of his being will be screaming to send out a team set up "not to lose". I fear the worst.

Even though I have been critical this season I wouldn''t call myself a defeatist. I see what I see, draw my own conclusions and comment as I see fit. Making negative, or positive comments on here won''t make the slightest difference to what happens on Saturday.

If defeatist means knowing what is going on, seeing the lack of managerial know how and aware of the goal drought, then I''ll have to live with that.

No one wanted a win on Saturday more than me. No one wants a win Sunday and stay up more than me. The fans have always been good, great at the last few games. The fans can do no more. It''s now up to Hughton & Co to show us what they''re made of.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Even though I have been critical this season I wouldn''t call myself a defeatist. I see what I see, draw my own conclusions and comment as I see fit. Making negative, or positive comments on here won''t make the slightest difference to what happens on Saturday.

[/quote]

You have you opinions and draw your own conclusions, as you should.   I wish others would.  A lot of social media is divisive.   A message board combined with twitter and other media spreads moods and rumours quicker than ever used to happen.   The Morison rumour last season was a case in point.  A pathetic rumour that should have just gone away was made much worse imo because of the way news/gossip spreads these things.   So too positive messages and negative ones.   If a positive message gets enough of an airing, it can get through.   Unfortunately most people latch on to the negative stuff - usually because it takes less effort to be negative than to be positive - and to some people being seen as negative is cool.   

I just wish that the messages from these boards was more positive - a lot of the time its the only contact I and a lot of others have with the club and its fans.   The negativity that echoes from here most of the time is out of proportion to reality.   

I agree 100% with you LDC, when things have turned challenging then what usually happens with a significant sized minority of our so called supporters they get defeatust and also turn on the Manager and also a player or two.....it''s happened a few times over the years and certainly HAS impacted to a certain degree on the performances when the team needs encouragement all around them.

The thing that really is amazing is how so many of this minority are slagging of Chris Hughton and questionning his ability, this is ridiculous, he is doing what he can with the situation he inherited, which was what PL walked away from....that very tricky second season with the smallest budget in the league and in addition had to follow PL who had three terrific seasons....but who still left with a thread bare squad that in my humble opinion would have been relegated before Christmas regardless of who was at the helm. Surely this was always going to be a season of ups and downs and a possible battle to stay up....even with a stronger squad.

If the team play against West Brom like they did against Villa then they have every chance of a win, CH got everything right in his team selection and substitutions, despite the pathetic crowd reaction when he took off Hoolahan who had become ineffective despite a decent first half. It was game where I think most will agree the whole team played well and one that we were close to getting something out of, and that with a bit of luck we would have. A win would have put us into something like tenth place.....thats how close it all is.....BECAUSE there are a few "bigger" clubs than us with much bigger resources ALSO STRUGGLING..................................a reality check really is required and an injection of positive energy also...........it may even take a win at Man City.....................if it does, then why not.........lets be positive about it even if it take a "negative approach" and a scrambled goal............ 

I think the whole stadium should start singing que sera sera - always puts me in the mood to show the future what I think of it.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

I agree 100% with you LDC, when things have turned challenging then what usually happens with a significant sized minority of our so called supporters they get defeatust and also turn on the Manager and also a player or two.....it''s happened a few times over the years and certainly HAS impacted to a certain degree on the performances when the team needs encouragement all around them. The thing that really is amazing is how so many of this minority are slagging of Chris Hughton and questionning his ability, this is ridiculous, he is doing what he can with the situation he inherited, which was what PL walked away from....that very tricky second season with the smallest budget in the league and in addition had to follow PL who had three terrific seasons....but who still left with a thread bare squad that in my humble opinion would have been relegated before Christmas regardless of who was at the helm. Surely this was always going to be a season of ups and downs and a possible battle to stay up....even with a stronger squad. If the team play against West Brom like they did against Villa then they have every chance of a win, CH got everything right in his team selection and substitutions, despite the pathetic crowd reaction when he took off Hoolahan who had become ineffective despite a decent first half. It was game where I think most will agree the whole team played well and one that we were close to getting something out of, and that with a bit of luck we would have. A win would have put us into something like tenth place.....thats how close it all is.....BECAUSE there are a few "bigger" clubs than us with much bigger resources ALSO STRUGGLING..................................a reality check really is required and an injection of positive energy also...........it may even take a win at Man City.....................if it does, then why not.........lets be positive about it even if it take a "negative approach" and a scrambled goal............ 

[/quote]

[Y]  Spot on.  [:)]    

[quote user="unique"]Supporters are going to make not one jot of difference.

Saturday''s game is all about Hughton''s formation and the mindset of the players.[/quote]

Sorry unique cant agree with you on that one -,if home support doesn''t make any difference then where is the advantage in playing at home?

I''ve said on another thread that I felt the atmosphere in the upper Barclay on Saturday when we went a goal down was bordering on the unpleasant. If we go behind at at point n Saturday ( god forbid) then I don''t think booing and chanting.''hughton sort it out'' helps the players.

Whatever we think of the management team Saturday has to be a time when we are all 100% behind the team -even if things aren''t going exactly to plan - in fact especially if things aren''t going to plan!!

I agree 100% with you LDC, when things have turned challenging then what usually happens with a significant sized minority of our so called supporters they get defeatust and also turn on the Manager and also a player or two.....it''s happened a few times over the years and certainly HAS impacted to a certain degree on the performances when the team needs encouragement all around them.

The thing that really is amazing is how so many of this minority are slagging of Chris Hughton and questionning his ability, this is ridiculous, he is doing what he can with the situation he inherited, which was what PL walked away from....that very tricky second season with the smallest budget in the league and in addition had to follow PL who had three terrific seasons....but who still left with a thread bare squad that in my humble opinion would have been relegated before Christmas regardless of who was at the helm. Surely this was always going to be a season of ups and downs and a possible battle to stay up....even with a stronger squad.

If the team play against West Brom like they did against Villa then they have every chance of a win, CH got everything right in his team selection and substitutions, despite the pathetic crowd reaction when he took off Hoolahan who had become ineffective despite a decent first half. It was game where I think most will agree the whole team played well and one that we were close to getting something out of, and that with a bit of luck we would have. A win would have put us into something like tenth place.....thats how close it all is.....BECAUSE there are a few "bigger" clubs than us with much bigger resources ALSO STRUGGLING..................................a reality check really is required and an injection of positive energy also...........it may even take a win at Man City.....................if it does, then why not.........lets be positive about it even if it take a "negative approach" and a scrambled goal............ 

[/quote]

Yep with you here

[/quote]

Yep with you here

[quote user="lake district canary"]The negativity that echoes from here most of the time is out of proportion to reality.[/quote]Is it?. I''m in face to face contact with a lot of lifetime & loyal City fans most days of the week & in different enviroments. What I read on here is pretty much echoed by everyone I speak to.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="lake district canary"]The negativity that echoes from here most of the time is out of proportion to reality.[/quote]Is it?. I''m in face to face contact with a lot of lifetime & loyal City fans most days of the week & in different enviroments. What I read on here is pretty much echoed by everyone I speak to.[/quote]

My only contact with lifetime and loyal city fans is on here, apart from the odd chat with fans when I come to games. I would hope that the majority are in the middle ground - worried about our premiership status and recent results - but realistic enough to see a bigger picture and not just write off the manager because things have got tough.     But the emphasis on here is always on the negative - its the nature of message boards.  I do hope real life amongst Norwich fans in Norwich isn''t doom and gloom like it appears on here.......

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="lake district canary"]The negativity that echoes from here most of the time is out of proportion to reality.[/quote]
Is it?. I''m in face to face contact with a lot of lifetime & loyal City fans most days of the week & in different enviroments.
What I read on here is pretty much echoed by everyone I speak to.
[/quote]

My only contact with lifetime and loyal city fans is on here, apart from the odd chat with fans when I come to games. I would hope that the majority are in the middle ground - worried about our premiership status and recent results - but realistic enough to see a bigger picture and not just write off the manager because things have got tough.     But the emphasis on here is always on the negative - its the nature of message boards.  I do hope real life amongst Norwich fans in Norwich isn''t doom and gloom like it appears on here.......

[/quote]

Its clowns like you LDC that keep failing managers in employment at City.

Depends on the circles you move in surely? My city supporting mates and I are all pretty phlegmatic and behind Hughton - albeit with increasingly worried frowns!

But then again we are all middle aged fogeys now! No angry young men amongst us venting indignation.

[quote user="dpj canary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="lake district canary"]The negativity that echoes from here most of the time is out of proportion to reality.[/quote]Is it?. I''m in face to face contact with a lot of lifetime & loyal City fans most days of the week & in different enviroments.What I read on here is pretty much echoed by everyone I speak to.[/quote]My only contact with lifetime and loyal city fans is on here, apart from the odd chat with fans when I come to games. I would hope that the majority are in the middle ground - worried about our premiership status and recent results - but realistic enough to see a bigger picture and not just write off the manager because things have got tough.     But the emphasis on here is always on the negative - its the nature of message boards.  I do hope real life amongst Norwich fans in Norwich isn''t doom and gloom like it appears on here.......[/quote]

Its clowns like you LDC that keep failing managers in employment at City.

[/quote]

Thanks, that''s really enlightening.    Really adds to the debate.   

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="lake district canary"]The negativity that echoes from here most of the time is out of proportion to reality.[/quote]Is it?. I''m in face to face contact with a lot of lifetime & loyal City fans most days of the week & in different enviroments. What I read on here is pretty much echoed by everyone I speak to.[/quote]

[/quote]

It is doom and gloom and there are very few left that have a good word to say about Hughton

[quote user="killiecanary"]Depends on the circles you move in surely? My city supporting mates and I are all pretty phlegmatic and behind Hughton - albeit with increasingly worried frowns!

But then again we are all middle aged fogeys now! No angry young men amongst us venting indignation.[/quote]Most of my friends are split between 2 stances, the first being get rid, the second (and the one I hold) that Hughton has had to cut his cloth this season and I personally would like to judge him after the summer, armed with the new players he wants in. Judge him over the first ten games of next season and then reassess. He has been proved to be attack minded at other clubs, winning the Championship with over 100 points with Newcastle.Forgetting all the claptrap about how amazing our squad was under Lambert, Hughton has improved the quality, and for reasons known only to him, has started with the defence, mind you, it was the obvious place to start really. I think you will see a very different set of tactics next season.

That''s how I see it too Morty

My question to the first group still is ''if we get rid who do you bring in?'' Nobody has given me an answer yet that makes me think that making the change is sensible in any way shape or form.

Now - come on Stoke! (Never ever imagined I''d be thinking that!)

But the supporters were 100% behind the team on Saturday, especially with Lambert''s return.....and we still lost.

Going a goal down will always lose a section of the crowd.....especially with our record this season once we go a goal behind........

Unless there''s a sea-change, our crosses will still provide catching practice for Foster, and our defensive midfield will still resemble the parting of the red sea on a few occasions.....

[quote user="killiecanary"]That''s how I see it too Morty

My question to the first group still is ''if we get rid who do you bring in?'' Nobody has given me an answer yet that makes me think that making the change is sensible in any way shape or form.

Now - come on Stoke! (Never ever imagined I''d be thinking that!)[/quote]There has been a few names bandied around, whether or not they would come here, who knows.And then we start again, the new manager gets shot of who he doesn''t want, brings new players in, and we have another season of turmoil. Chopping and changing managers rarely has an instant effect.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I do hope real life amongst Norwich fans in Norwich isn''t doom and gloom like it appears on here.......[/quote]Oh yes it is

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="lake district canary"]I do hope real life amongst Norwich fans in Norwich isn''t doom and gloom like it appears on here.......[/quote]Oh yes it is[/quote]

[:(]