Sign in to follow this  
Since 1980

The difference bewteen Paul Lambert and Chris Hughton

Lambert wants to win games. Hughton doesn''t want to lose games. Yesterday, this was patently clear. On a day we needed to win, we had just one striker starting. Villa started with three strikers!!!!!!!!!!!!!As for substitutes, it appears CH totally forgets he has them, until it is too late!!!!

One helped bring unparalleled success to FCR, the other has let squeaky bum time creep into FCR.
One won their game at the weekend, the other didn''t. 

One is a really nice chap and the other is a bit of a b@stard!

One puts the interests of others before himself, and the other likes to give the impression he puts the interests of others before himself?

They are poles apart on just about everything.

I wonder if McNally got a do-over if he''d go for someone more like Lambert, like Swansea did with Rodgers and Laudrup. Poyet being the obvious choice.

As CUSDP said on another thread we needed evolution, not revolution.

Oh! And Rogers left Swansea.

But our Chief Executive decided to play the hard man to the media, why? Can anyone give me an example where keeping a want away manager or player is a good thing?

Lambert did his job and left. What did pope want from him? A fuc king soliloquy on the pitch?

Swansea accepted the move, they recruited like or like with no hangover. We paid a lot of money for a manager who then fu cked off on holiday with his DVD player and obviously watched the wrong CD''s.

This is before we get into all the mystery over who over-ruled McNally over Holt, or changed his mind. Perhaps that was Chris '' how do I sign a new striker'' Hughton exercising his new latitude.

So we then lose the best pre-season forward on loan, why? Tilson will have you believe his girlfriend dictated but this is a player under contract who was missing out on the EPL.

You may as well ask the difference between chalk and cheese.

And why is no one criticising our highly paid CEO who fatally has the ''soft skills'' of Genghis Khan and cut off the Canary beak to spite it''s face IMO.

And before I ge off my soapbox, on that theme, there has been a clear sea-change for me in club-supporter relations. In League 1 and the Chumps it was excellent but a certain amount of contempt has crept in and these are further reasons why my ST went unrenewed.

If none of this rings true then just compare the whole style and atmosphere of the under 18''s nights. There''s your real NCFC.

about 11 years. That''s the difference.

Oh, you were talking about the way they manage... one tries, the other does

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Oh! And Rogers left Swansea.

But our Chief Executive decided to play the hard man to the media, why? Can anyone give me an example where keeping a want away manager or player is a good thing?

Lambert did his job and left. What did pope want from him? A fuc king soliloquy on the pitch?

Swansea accepted the move, they recruited like or like with no hangover. We paid a lot of money for a manager who then fu cked off on holiday with his DVD player and obviously watched the wrong CD''s.

This is before we get into all the mystery over who over-ruled McNally over Holt, or changed his mind. Perhaps that was Chris '' how do I sign a new striker'' Hughton exercising his new latitude.

So we then lose the best pre-season forward on loan, why? Tilson will have you believe his girlfriend dictated but this is a player under contract who was missing out on the EPL.

And why is no one criticising our highly paid CEO who fatally has the ''soft skills'' of Genghis Khan and cut off the Canary beak to spite it''s face IMO.

And before I ge off my soapbox, on that theme, there has been a clear sea-change for me in club-supporter relations. In League 1 and the Chumps it was excellent but a certain amount of contempt has crept in and these are further reasons why my ST went unrenewed.

If none of this rings true then just compare the whole style and atmosphere of the under 18''s nights. There''s your real NCFC.[/quote]
Very much this, I felt it last season around the time Newcastle beat us 1-0. Something about the club didn''t seem right to me, the premier league was grating on me a bit. Then the season ended and as you say there was a sea-change and well... any kind of soul that took us here apparently vanished. Perhaps Hughton bound it all up in those DVDs Horcrux style and held McNally ransom over them. There is just a.... discomfort about the place. It stems from some point last season and we''re seeing the culmination of a chain reaction of poor decisions coming to a head.

Rudolph, I think that is the 97th time you''ve mentioned you didn''t renew your season ticket. Quite why you seem so desperate for us to know this constantly is beyond me....

Lambert really goes for getting points of teams surrounding his own. He has done it with us and Villa. Another significant difference between him and Hughton.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Oh! And Rogers left Swansea.

If none of this rings true then just compare the whole style and atmosphere of the under 18''s nights. There''s your real NCFC.[/quote][Y]

[quote user="Mellow yellow 4 ever"]Lambert really goes for getting points of teams surrounding his own. He has done it with us and Villa. Another significant difference between him and Hughton.[/quote]Yes, as is proven by the Relegation Mini-League©™Norwich - 6 draws in their 10 games,  P10 W2 D6 L2Villa - 2 draws in their 9 games           P9 W4 D2 L3[quote user="Mister Chops"]

Team Played Points Points/game
Wigan 9 18 2.00
Southampton 10 18 1.80
Aston Villa 9 14 1.56
Norwich City 10 12 1.20
QPR 10 10 1.00
Reading 10 3 0.30

AWAY
  Norwich City QPR Reading Southampton Aston Villa Wigan
HOME Norwich City X 1-1 2-1 0-0 1-2 2-1
QPR 0-0 X 1-1 1-3 1-1 1-1
Reading 0-0 0-0 X 0-2 1-3 0-3
Southampton 1-1 1-2 1-0 X 4-1 0-2
Aston Villa 1-1 3-2 1-0 0-1 X 0-3
Wigan 1-0 2-2 3-2 2-2 19/05/2013 X
[/quote]

The main difference for me is Lambert could take a player, and instill confidence and belief in him. He made the players believe they were good enough and deserved to be at the top level. He made Aaron Wilbraham look at home in the Premier League.

I don''t think Hughton possesses that skill, the players look completely bereft of those traits. I''m also getting really, really tired of hearing how much quality the opposition have. He doesn''t seem to have belief in the players and it seems that they are losing belief in themselves.

For me the key difference is simply to do with tactics. Lambert was always willing to attempt to change games - sometimes to our frustration it has to be said. However, the current management team seem unable/unwilling to change either within or between games.

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Oh! And Rogers left Swansea.

If none of this rings true then just compare the whole style and atmosphere of the under 18''s nights. There''s your real NCFC.[/quote]
Very much this, I felt it last season around the time Newcastle beat us 1-0. Something about the club didn''t seem right to me, the premier league was grating on me a bit. Then the season ended and as you say there was a sea-change and well... any kind of soul that took us here apparently vanished. Perhaps Hughton bound it all up in those DVDs Horcrux style and held McNally ransom over them. There is just a.... discomfort about the place. It stems from some point last season and we''re seeing the culmination of a chain reaction of poor decisions coming to a head.
[/quote]

Absolute bollocks of the highest order. Any of you bring this up after the Newcastle game? No? Oh, funny that.

Booklet - One of them is a winner, the other one is Chris Hughton.

Budapest Canary - The main difference to me is the Lambert seem to get a result when he really needs it. Hopefully, I''m wrong.

Perhaps Bradford City would disagree.

If anything, the seeds of discontent are always there bubbling underneath the surface.  In league 1, it was turmoil until it was clear lambert - or was it Holt - was going to do something.   In the championship we weren''t going to do anything until Lambert - or was it Holt - proved us wrong.    Then we simply were going to be useless in the premiership.   From day one we had thread after thread on here of saying our players weren''t good enough. The Leicester game was the start of the downturn.   The fans threw their toys out of the pram because we lost a game.  The Morison gossip and slander was beneath what you would expect from our football club - and was at it''s peak.

There is an undercurrent of  self-destruction amongst most sets of football supporters.    They will boo a player when he needs support (eg. Wilbraham), they will boo manager''s decisions when the team really need support (eg. Saturday against Villa).    They will shout "You don''t know what you''re doing" when they should be singing OTBC (eg Saturday against Villa).

You couldn''t make it up.   I have relatives who support Man City and witnessed quite afew times in person how the crowd were so negative up to last year.   Going to a match as a neutral is a real eye opener.     What I witnessed was serial negativity.   We''re not as bad as that, I don''t think, but its difficult to tell as supporter rather than a neutral.     

The difference between Lambert and Hughton?   The fans attitude.  

[quote user="lake district canary"]If anything, the seeds of discontent are always there bubbling underneath the surface.  In league 1, it was turmoil until it was clear lambert - or was it Holt - was going to do something.   In the championship we weren''t going to do anything until Lambert - or was it Holt - proved us wrong.    Then we simply were going to be useless in the premiership.   From day one we had thread after thread on here of saying our players weren''t good enough. The Leicester game was the start of the downturn.   The fans threw their toys out of the pram because we lost a game.  The Morison gossip and slander was beneath what you would expect from our football club - and was at it''s peak.

There is an undercurrent of  self-destruction amongst most sets of football supporters.    They will boo a player when he needs support (eg. Wilbraham), they will boo manager''s decisions when the team really need support (eg. Saturday against Villa).    They will shout "You don''t know what you''re doing" when they should be singing OTBC (eg Saturday against Villa).

You couldn''t make it up.   I have relatives who support Man City and witnessed quite afew times in person how the crowd were so negative up to last year.   Going to a match as a neutral is a real eye opener.     What I witnessed was serial negativity.   We''re not as bad as that, I don''t think, but its difficult to tell as supporter rather than a neutral.     

The difference between Lambert and Hughton?   The fans attitude.  

[/quote]

I think if you''d attended a few more games rather than watching on a internet stream you might change your tune. The fans by and large were excellent on Saturday as they have been all season. The odd pocket aside which didn''t like Wes going off, the crowd was firmly behind Hughton and the players. "Hughtons Yellow Army" was ringing around the Barclay for large sections of the afternoon, I personally still don''t have my voice back and I suspect many others are the same. Perhaps your internet stream didn''t pick that up.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]If anything, the seeds of discontent are always there bubbling underneath the surface.  In league 1, it was turmoil until it was clear lambert - or was it Holt - was going to do something.   In the championship we weren''t going to do anything until Lambert - or was it Holt - proved us wrong.    Then we simply were going to be useless in the premiership.   From day one we had thread after thread on here of saying our players weren''t good enough. The Leicester game was the start of the downturn.   The fans threw their toys out of the pram because we lost a game.  The Morison gossip and slander was beneath what you would expect from our football club - and was at it''s peak. There is an undercurrent of  self-destruction amongst most sets of football supporters.    They will boo a player when he needs support (eg. Wilbraham), they will boo manager''s decisions when the team really need support (eg. Saturday against Villa).    They will shout "You don''t know what you''re doing" when they should be singing OTBC (eg Saturday against Villa).You couldn''t make it up.   I have relatives who support Man City and witnessed quite afew times in person how the crowd were so negative up to last year.   Going to a match as a neutral is a real eye opener.     What I witnessed was serial negativity.   We''re not as bad as that, I don''t think, but its difficult to tell as supporter rather than a neutral.      The difference between Lambert and Hughton?   The fans attitude.   [/quote]

I think if you''d attended a few more games rather than watching on a internet stream you might change your tune. The fans by and large were excellent on Saturday as they have been all season. The odd pocket aside which didn''t like Wes going off, the crowd was firmly behind Hughton and the players. "Hughtons Yellow Army" was ringing around the Barclay for large sections of the afternoon, I personally still don''t have my voice back and I suspect many others are the same. Perhaps your internet stream didn''t pick that up.

[/quote]

On the contrary, the noise support sounded great online, but the booing and the chanting  you don''t know what you''re doing grated badly.  Also,  I have been to matches at home this season  where the place is like a morgue, full of moaning, nervouseness and tension.   So I don''t think you can say that every match has been supported like Saturday.