Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Clutching at straws

[quote user="spudgfsh"]no. wigna lose tomorrow and then against arsenal and only one point will be enough. it''s not beyond the realms of possibility[/quote][quote user="yoda"]No we don''t. It''s possible Sunderland could lose

their next two games leaving us needing a single point , not something

we can rely on but very possible[/quote]

The last thing we should want is going into the WBA game thinking we just want a draw.   We have to have the mentality of going for the victory, playing for a draw - as we know - is not a good strategy.  

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="paul moy"]How ridiculous !! A point puts Stoke out of reach of us anyway as their GD is 10 so a win to them is much better for us.  [/quote]Yes, so a win for Sunderland would keep them on 40 points.  Not a disaster as we HAVE to get to 41 points anyway.   You can''t escape it. 

[/quote]If you can''t see the obvious logic of a Sunderland loss as the best result then explaining it to you would be a waste of time and energy.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="paul moy"]How ridiculous !! A point puts Stoke out of reach of us anyway as their GD is 10 so a win to them is much better for us.  [/quote]Yes, so a win for Sunderland would keep them on 40 points.  Not a disaster as we HAVE to get to 41 points anyway.   You can''t escape it.  [/quote]2 draws would have put us on 40 points.  Sunderland getting anything was awful for us as it puts them above us.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="paul moy"]How ridiculous !! A point puts Stoke out of reach of us anyway as their GD is 10 so a win to them is much better for us.  [/quote]Yes, so a win for Sunderland would keep them on 40 points.  Not a disaster as we HAVE to get to 41 points anyway.   You can''t escape it. 

[/quote]If you can''t see the obvious logic of a Sunderland loss as the best result then explaining it to you would be a waste of time and energy.

[/quote]

Yep

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="paul moy"]How ridiculous !! A point puts Stoke out of reach of us anyway as their GD is 10 so a win to them is much better for us.  [/quote]Yes, so a win for Sunderland would keep them on 40 points.  Not a disaster as we HAVE to get to 41 points anyway.   You can''t escape it.  [/quote]2 draws would have put us on 40 points.  Sunderland getting anything was awful for us as it puts them above us.[/quote]

Two draws, with the last game at Man City?   Now that really is clutching at straws.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="paul moy"]How ridiculous !! A point puts Stoke out of reach of us anyway as their GD is 10 so a win to them is much better for us.  [/quote]Yes, so a win for Sunderland would keep them on 40 points.  Not a disaster as we HAVE to get to 41 points anyway.   You can''t escape it.  [/quote]2 draws would have put us on 40 points.  Sunderland getting anything was awful for us as it puts them above us.[/quote]

Two draws, with the last game at Man City?   Now that really is clutching at straws.

[/quote]And that is exactly why Sunderland rescuing a point was a bad result.[;)]

Terrible result tonight!  I''ve lost the tiny amount of hope I had left in me, and Wigan havent even played yet!!

Another sleepless night! I hope the players are crapping their pants!!!!!

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="paul moy"]How ridiculous !! A point puts Stoke out of reach of us anyway as their GD is 10 so a win to them is much better for us.  [/quote]Yes, so a win for Sunderland would keep them on 40 points.  Not a disaster as we HAVE to get to 41 points anyway.   You can''t escape it.  [/quote]2 draws would have put us on 40 points.  Sunderland getting anything was awful for us as it puts them above us.[/quote]

Two draws, with the last game at Man City?   Now that really is clutching at straws.[/quote]And that is exactly why Sunderland rescuing a point was a bad result.[;)][/quote]

Agreed, a win either way would have been better. 

[quote user="Vanwink"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="paul moy"]How ridiculous !! A point puts Stoke out of reach of us anyway as their GD is 10 so a win to them is much better for us.  [/quote]

Yes, so a win for Sunderland would keep them on 40 points.  Not a disaster as we HAVE to get to 41 points anyway.   You can''t escape it. 

[/quote]

If you can''t see the obvious logic of a Sunderland loss as the best result then explaining it to you would be a waste of time and energy.

[/quote] Yep[/quote]

I decided that long ago......

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]No chance, a Stoke win would be by far the best thing.  It keeps a team below us in the table.  It increases the chances of us staying up no matter how many points we get in the remaining fixtures.   The simple fact is we probably need to win against WBA to stay up.  But if we don''t, Sunderland getting 0 points would have increased our chances of survival.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Vanwink"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="paul moy"]How ridiculous !! A point puts Stoke out of reach of us anyway as their GD is 10 so a win to them is much better for us.  [/quote]Yes, so a win for Sunderland would keep them on 40 points.  Not a disaster as we HAVE to get to 41 points anyway.   You can''t escape it. 

[/quote] Yep[/quote]

I decided that long ago......

[/quote]Stoke being on 40 points or 41 points is quite meaningless.  If we beat West Brom we stay up simple as that.  If we lose or draw that game, we need the teams below us to do as poorly as possible.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="lake district canary"]  Agreed, a win either way would have been better.  [/quote]No chance, a Stoke win would be by far the best thing.  It keeps a team below us in the table.  It increases the chances of us staying up no matter how many points we get in the remaining fixtures.   The simple fact is we probably need to win against WBA to stay up.  But if we don''t, Sunderland getting 0 points would have increased our chances of survival.[/quote]

Not necessarily.  However, the final result was probably the worst one for us.  1-1 means they both progress slightly.   Anyway, I  didn''t say  a Stoke win was the best scenario, simply that it wasn''t necessarily the best result, given all the twists and turns that will undoubtedly take place.  Lose and they would have  been on 40 points - ie. catchable.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="lake district canary"]  Agreed, a win either way would have been better.  [/quote]No chance, a Stoke win would be by far the best thing.  It keeps a team below us in the table.  It increases the chances of us staying up no matter how many points we get in the remaining fixtures.   The simple fact is we probably need to win against WBA to stay up.  But if we don''t, Sunderland getting 0 points would have increased our chances of survival.[/quote]

Not necessarily.  However, the final result was probably the worst one for us.  1-1 means they both progress slightly.   Anyway, I  didn''t say  a Stoke win was the best scenario, simply that a Sunderalnd win wouldn''t  necessarily have been  the best result, given all the twists and turns that will undoubtedly take place.  Lose and they would have  been on 40 points - ie. catchable.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

No chance, a Stoke win would be by far the best thing.  It keeps a team below us in the table.  It increases the chances of us staying up no matter how many points we get in the remaining fixtures.   The simple fact is we probably need to win against WBA to stay up.  But if we don''t, Sunderland getting 0 points would have increased our chances of survival.
[/quote]

The worry now is that even a win against WBA may not be enough if Newcastle win at QPR and Wigan beat Swansea and Villa, which surely must be feasible.  I think we are doomed whatever on GD.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Please ignore both the posts above, their both wrong.  As with all the others I wrote I hear you say..........[/quote]My posts, not the ones above.  

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]Wigan will not win tomorrow.

Bookmark this.
[/quote]

They will !!

bookmark this

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="lake district canary"]  Agreed, a win either way would have been better.  [/quote]No chance, a Stoke win would be by far the best thing.  It keeps a team below us in the table.  It increases the chances of us staying up no matter how many points we get in the remaining fixtures.   The simple fact is we probably need to win against WBA to stay up.  But if we don''t, Sunderland getting 0 points would have increased our chances of survival.[/quote]

Not necessarily.  However, the final result was probably the worst one for us.  1-1 means they both progress slightly.   Anyway, I  didn''t say  a Stoke win was the best scenario, simply that it wasn''t necessarily the best result, given all the twists and turns that will undoubtedly take place.  Lose and they would have  been on 40 points - ie. catchable.

[/quote]Yes necessarily.  The teams around us play each other.  For example Sunderland will play Southampton and Aston Villa play Wigan.  It would take five top 4 sides dropping points to our rivals for it to be possible to go down on  41 points.More important is for us to be able to stay up with poor results against WBA and Man City.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]Wigan will not win tomorrow.

Bookmark this.[/quote]

They will !!

bookmark this

[/quote]

My friend who I regularly talk to about football and the Premier League has got a lot right recently (Real Madrid beating Man United, Everton finishing above Liverpool, Chelsea''s last gasp winner at United on sunday) is utterly convinced that Wigan will lose 1-0 tomorrow  with Nathan Dyer scoring!Not saying that means anything because it doesnt but I''m staying positive.

He was so convinced we''ll (Norwich)  stay up that he''s bet me a 10er...

[quote user="paul moy"]

The worry now is that even a win against WBA may not be enough if Newcastle win at QPR and Wigan beat Swansea and Villa, which surely must be feasible.  I think we are doomed whatever on GD.

[/quote]Now you really are wetting the bed.  Arsenal would have to drop points against Newcastle and Wigan, then Chelsea against Villa and Spurs against Sunderland for that to even be possible.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

Now you really are wetting the bed.  Arsenal would have to drop points against Newcastle and Wigan, then Chelsea against Villa and Spurs against Sunderland for that to even be possible.
[/quote]

If Newcastle beat QPR and we beat WBA it comes down to GD. If we get thrashed at Man City (very likely IMO) and Newcastle lose closely to Arsenal, we go down on GD on 41 points.   Wigan can afford to lose to Arsenal if they win their other games and will stay above us on GD. Villa only need a point against Chelsea to be safe on GD.  Yup, I am wetting mself.