Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Clutching at straws

Why does Stoke winning tonight help us?  Another club clear of the danger zone?    You can''t rely on Sunderland to lose their next two games.  I would rather Stoke were stuck in there with 40 points with two games to play.   We will need to get our points of WBA in any event.     So we would be on 41 points regardless, putting us potentially ahead of Sunderland AND Stoke.

Whichever way you look at it we need to beat WBA to get to 41, so why do we want Stoke to get to 43 when they could stay stuck below us on 40?   It might seem as if we want Stoke to win tonight, but in the scheme of things it could be counter productive.     Its all going to boil down to the WBA game - and deep down we all know it.

Haven''t you already posted this on another thread, do you copy and paste onto different ones?

Because Sunderland seem to be playing a game of how many key players can we lose before the end of the season.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]

Because Sunderland seem to be playing a game of how many key players can we lose before the end of the season.

[/quote]

I assume that''s a 3 game suspension to go with the injuries to Sessegnon and Fletcher?

Stokes victory tonight means that they, swansea and wet sham are mathematically safe. Not that it''ll make much difference to tomorrow night...

A victory for swansea tomorrow means that a point will be enough against west brom (assuming that wigna will lose to arsenal next week)

Agree about us still needing to beat WBA, but if Sunderland lose tonight we would be safe if we win and they lose on Sunday.

Can''t see why any Norwich fan would want Sunderland to win, Pts on the board are much more important at this stage of the season, and if Sunderland lose all there remaining games we stay up regardless of what we do, Now we all know how hard it is to get pts we only need to look at the Villa game, keep them below us please.Sunderland to lose 100%

Because we only need one team below us and spreading the risk too thin is risky too. If the price of piercing the DiCanio bubble and demoralising Sunderland is that Stoke escape the net then sobeit.

Sunderland and Newcastle will face two tough games and are in trouble. I cannot see how that s not good for us.

[quote user="The Young One"]Can''t see why any Norwich fan would want Sunderland to win, Pts on the board are much more important at this stage of the season, and if Sunderland lose all there remaining games we stay up regardless of what we do, Now we all know how hard it is to get pts we only need to look at the Villa game, keep them below us please.Sunderland to lose 100%[/quote]

I agree in principle, but  in the scheme of things there are going to be twists and turns.   Stoke - and Southampton - still being in the mix could still be important on the last day of the season.     

WBA may try experimenting for next season as well as they have nothing to play for and being away from home.Also doesn''t Hughton know Steve Clarke ummmmmmmmmmmmm hush hush say no more

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="The Young One"]Can''t see why any Norwich fan would want Sunderland to win, Pts on the board are much more important at this stage of the season, and if Sunderland lose all there remaining games we stay up regardless of what we do, Now we all know how hard it is to get pts we only need to look at the Villa game, keep them below us please.Sunderland to lose 100%[/quote]

I agree in principle, but  in the scheme of things there are going to be twists and turns.   Stoke - and Southampton - still being in the mix could still be important on the last day of the season.     

[/quote]Yes having as many teams as possible in the mix would be good, but winning against West Brom is by no means certain, remember we couldn''t score (in Open Play) at home in a very important game on Saturday and have managed 4 shorts on target in the last 180mins of playing time, so to keep a team below us on pts I feel more comfotable with.

[quote user="The Young One"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="The Young One"]Can''t see why any Norwich fan would want Sunderland to win, Pts on the board are much more important at this stage of the season, and if Sunderland lose all there remaining games we stay up regardless of what we do, Now we all know how hard it is to get pts we only need to look at the Villa game, keep them below us please.

Sunderland to lose 100%
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes having as many teams as possible in the mix would be good, but winning against West Brom is by no means certain, remember we couldn''t score (in Open Play) at home in a very important game on Saturday and have managed 4 shorts on target in the last 180mins of playing time, so to keep a team below us on pts I feel more comfotable with.
[/quote]

That''s daft because at 1-1 if we now lose our last two we are relegated on GD !!!!

[quote user="Baracouda"]But Sunderland have Saints next, we win could be above both. or 4pts clear of Sunderland.[/quote]

True, I just think we should be careful what we wish for.   I''m almost certain we will need to beat  WBA whatever else happens.   In that situation I would prefer Stoke to be in there alongside Southampton on 40 points or less.   That would mean Sunderland beating Stoke and Southampton - putting them clear,  but in turn  keeping Stoke and Southampton and probably Newcastle below us.   Three clubs that would have to win on the last day to stay up.  A tall order.    Whichever way you look at it we will have to get to 41 points, at least.  

Its no good hoping other teams will do us favours.

imo this is worse possible result.

They''re still be above us, and we can''t catch Stoke. Either way, a win is good.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Its no good hoping other teams will do us favours.[/quote]
I''m afraid it''s the only hope I have left, can''t see us winning either game.

This is dismal.  The best situation is to have teams below us on points. We drop down a place if Sunderland get any points tonight. This would leave us above the relegation zone by a single point of goal difference if Wigan win tomorrow.

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="lake district canary"]Its no good hoping other teams will do us favours.[/quote]
I''m afraid it''s the only hope I have left, can''t see us winning either game.
[/quote]

It''s what I''ve been saying all along and we all know it  - we will need 41 points to stay up.    We can''t rely on anyone else except ourselves.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Why does Stoke winning tonight help us?  Another club clear of the danger zone?    You can''t rely on Sunderland to lose their next two games.  I would rather Stoke were stuck in there with 40 points with two games to play.   We will need to get our points of WBA in any event.     So we would be on 41 points regardless, putting us potentially ahead of Sunderland AND Stoke.

Whichever way you look at it we need to beat WBA to get to 41, so why do we want Stoke to get to 43 when they could stay stuck below us on 40?   It might seem as if we want Stoke to win tonight, but in the scheme of things it could be counter productive.     Its all going to boil down to the WBA game - and deep down we all know it.

[/quote]

I hope we do beat West Brom on Sunday and at least go out with a bit of style...but why do we need to beat West Brom to stay up. I don''t quite follow your logic! Mathematically we could lose our remaining two games and still stay up. Therefore, Stoke winning tonight is probably the best outcome for us. Because this way two teams will remain below us both Sunderland and Newcastle albeit the latter on goal difference!  Your analogy would mean us having to win and move above Stoke on 41 points to hold the advantage...could be a tall order meaning we would have to out score the opposition ( remember this is Norwich with Hughton at the helm). But, at least this way theoretically we don''t have to do anything...we get to stay up almost by default!

[quote user="ARCHIEGEMMELL"][quote user="lake district canary"]Why does Stoke winning tonight help us?  Another club clear of the danger zone?    You can''t rely on Sunderland to lose their next two games.  I would rather Stoke were stuck in there with 40 points with two games to play.   We will need to get our points of WBA in any event.     So we would be on 41 points regardless, putting us potentially ahead of Sunderland AND Stoke.  Whichever way you look at it we need to beat WBA to get to 41, so why do we want Stoke to get to 43 when they could stay stuck below us on 40?   It might seem as if we want Stoke to win tonight, but in the scheme of things it could be counter productive.     Its all going to boil down to the WBA game - and deep down we all know it. [/quote]

I hope we do beat West Brom on Sunday and at least go out with a bit of style...but why do we need to beat West Brom to stay up. I don''t quite follow your logic! Mathematically we could lose our remaining two games and still stay up. Therefore, Stoke winning tonight is probably the best outcome for us. Because this way two teams will remain below us both Sunderland and Newcastle albeit the latter on goal difference!    Your analogy would mean us having to win and move above Stoke on 41 points to hold the advantage...could be a tall order meaning we would have to out score the opposition ( remember this is Norwich with Hughton at the helm). But, at least this way theoretically we don''t have to do anything...we get to stay up almost by default![/quote]

I agree up to a point, but I can see Sunderland getting at least a point in either of their last two games - even if they lose tonight, so we would still need to get something from WBA.        There''s no getting away from it  (imo) that we will need to beat WBA whatever else happens in other matches. 

How ridiculous !! A point puts Stoke out of reach of us anyway as their GD is 10 so a win to them is much better for us.  

[quote user="paul moy"]How ridiculous !! A point puts Stoke out of reach of us anyway as their GD is 10 so a win to them is much better for us.  [/quote]Yes, so a win for Sunderland would keep them on 40 points.  Not a disaster as we HAVE to get to 41 points anyway.   You can''t escape it. 

no. wigna lose tomorrow and then against arsenal and only one point will be enough. it''s not beyond the realms of possibility

No we don''t. It''s possible Sunderland could lose their next two games leaving us needing a single point , not something we can rely on but very possible