Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

It Is Still In Our Hands.

I''ve been back on the predictor and Newcastle still come out favourites for the drop for me as I believe QPR have one last win in them now their fate is sealed.

But even with a very positive slant for our rivals one thing is clear. If we beat West Brom we can go to Man City, lose heavily and still stay up. This whole thing is very much in our hands (as it was at Fulham all those years ago) and as it has been for weeks only we finally need to take one opportunity and win.

Nothing else matters, beat bloody West Brom and watch the pressure pile on anyone else in the bottom half who slips up.

On any given day, anyone can beat anyone as Luton proved in the Cup but lesser sides cannot win consistently above their level, we have to produce that one off big performance despite Shane Long probably scoring his usual.

I have to admit, I thought things were bleaker than this but it isn''t lost and with Holt finding the net and almost getting an equaliser he may be getting some form back and despite our failure in front of goal vs Villa there were a lot of good performances to take heart from.

So come on folks, lets lift the mood and the players and get this win which, while we will not be mathematically safe will almost certainly guarantee safety. OTBC.

If Wigan beat Swansea its effectively a one game shoot off between us, Wigan and Newcastle. both of those have to play Arsenal and us Man city leaving whoever will get the best result against either West Brom, Aston Villa or QPR will stay up the worst go down. On paper we have the toughest game.

I have given up trying to think of all the permutations, because football really has a way of turning out just how you least expect it, especially at this time of the season.

Only if we beat WBA and draw at Man City for 42 points at this moment as our GD is so bad.

While we are outside the bottom three, with the same games played, it will always be in our hands.

There are lots of sides with the potential to get drawn into it - right up to 12th place - look at Fulham, who will think they still need a point: no one saw their home loss to Reading coming, and they now have Liverpool (h) and Swansea (a) remaining.

If we can get the win against WBA there will be a number of sides (including Villa) who are looking over shoulders nervously going into their final game, in a worse way than us. We just need to show what we have on Saturday....

Good post Rudolph! WBA doesn''t make me think of Fulham. We were away that day and hadn''t won away all season. WBA makes me think of Palace in ''73. Not sure if you were there that night but the atmosphere was amazing. It was our last home game and we still had Stoke away after that.  We won 2-1 and stayed up. Even though we lost the final game at Stoke. It''s very much in our hands. I think we can do it.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

I''m not even sure if 41 points is going to be enough now, were we to take a large-ish beating at Man City??........can anyone who has done the permutations assure me otherwise?

[/quote]

At this moment we are definitely not safe with 41.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]While we are outside the bottom three, with the same games played, it will always be in our hands.

There are lots of sides with the potential to get drawn into it - right up to 12th place - look at Fulham, who will think they still need a point: no one saw their home loss to Reading coming, and they now have Liverpool (h) and Swansea (a) remaining.

If we can get the win against WBA there will be a number of sides (including Villa) who are looking over shoulders nervously going into their final game, in a worse way than us. We just need to show what we have on Saturday....[/quote]If Wigan win tomorrow it is only in our hands due to other teams playing each other. That and a single point of goal difference with Newcastle.  Imagine if we were relegated on goals scored.... I think the message boards would explode!  [:S]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]While we are outside the bottom three, with the same games played, it will always be in our hands.

If we can get the win against WBA there will be a number of sides (including Villa) who are looking over shoulders nervously going into their final game, in a worse way than us. We just need to show what we have on Saturday....[/quote]If Wigan win tomorrow it is only in our hands due to other teams playing each other. That and a single point of goal difference with Newcastle.  Imagine if we were relegated on goals scored.... I think the message boards would explode!  [:S][/quote]Wigan really, really need to lose tomorrow.

That is not right: whatever Wigan do tomorrow, we are not in the bottom three and it is by definition still in our hands - match Newcastle''s results and we finish ahead of them. Period. That doesn''t mean we want it to happen that way, but it is mathematically correct.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]While we are outside the bottom three, with the same games played, it will always be in our hands.

If we can get the win against WBA there will be a number of sides (including Villa) who are looking over shoulders nervously going into their final game, in a worse way than us. We just need to show what we have on Saturday....[/quote]If Wigan win tomorrow it is only in our hands due to other teams playing each other. That and a single point of goal difference with Newcastle.  Imagine if we were relegated on goals scored.... I think the message boards would explode!  [:S][/quote]Wigan really, really need to lose tomorrow.

[/quote]

i''d bite your hand off at a draw now!!!.....if we win on Sunday, and Wigan drop more points at Arsenal....we''re safe

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]That is not right: whatever Wigan do tomorrow, we are not in the bottom three and it is by definition still in our hands - match Newcastle''s results and we finish ahead of them. Period. That doesn''t mean we want it to happen that way, but it is mathematically correct.[/quote]Given the fixture list, 6 points would guarantee safety no matter what anyone else does, as Villa and Wigan, along with Sunderland and Southampton could not all make 44 pointsAnd also by a single point of goal difference.  Not by any points.  If

Newcastle make up that single point of goal difference, we go down on

goals scored even if we match their results.

With a narrow 1-0 win over West Brom and a heavy loss at Man City, plus a bunch of other reasonable results, I have Villa relegated on goal difference behind Fulham. I also have result combinations that put Wigan, Newcastle or Fulham in that last relegation place, but in none of the outcomes do we finish outside the bottom three if we only draw the WBA game.

Been in our hands consistently for weeks now and we have consistently failed to make it count. With last chance saloon v WBA and away to Man City what makes people think we are about to have a dramatic change of fortune? Hughton admitting he has sleepless nights sums upthe mood at the club at the moment

[quote user="morty"]I have given up trying to think of all the permutations, because football really has a way of turning out just how you least expect it, especially at this time of the season.[/quote]Exactly Morty,  for this reason the inner mentalist in me still thinks we''re going to get a win away against Man city who will have nothing to play for by then all things being equal.[:D]

[quote user="Zak Burger"]the inner mentalist in me still thinks we''re going to get a win away against Man city who will have nothing to play for by then all things being equal.[:D][/quote]That''s actually a very salient point.They can''t catch Man Utd, nor improve their league position to get more cash that way, however it could come down to what Chelsea manage in their next 2 games because if they look like they might pip City for the 2nd place, then we can expect a full strength side against us to get the win for them.If not, I can see Mancini resting a lot of his main players, although the likes of Dzeko and Kolarov are hardly s**t are they...

Yes us beating Man C (if they have nothing to play for) is exactly the sort of strange result you get this time of the season.

But if it comes down to that we''d probably go down.

WBA really is a must-win. It''s certainly going to be a nervy sunday

Surely the majority of WBA fans would happily see Norwich win on Sunday if there was the remotest chance that the consequence would be Villa''s relegation?

[quote user="unique"]Surely the majority of WBA fans would happily see Norwich win on Sunday if there was the remotest chance that the consequence would be Villa''s relegation?[/quote]Unfortunately it''s their players that matter & they are on a bonus of £10,000 a point. So i''d be very surprised if there were any favours

[quote user="Zak Burger"][quote user="morty"]I have given up trying to think of all the permutations, because football really has a way of turning out just how you least expect it, especially at this time of the season.[/quote]Exactly Morty,  for this reason the inner mentalist in me still thinks we''re going to get a win away against Man city who will have nothing to play for by then all things being equal.[:D][/quote]

This inter mentalist clearly needs some therapy!