Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

In all honesty - are we Premier League?

A simple question - are we really good enough to be in the Premier League? Apart from Ruddy and Bassong, I don''t think we have PL quality and the next level of player (Snodgrass, Pilkington, Hoolahan, Johnson etc) are really only good Championship players.

During the 10 game run before Christmas, we were quite lucky in a number of them (Southampton and Everton away, Wigan at home) and our two victories since then could also have gone either way.

Although I am as desperate for us to stay up as anyone, I think if we do it will be lucky and hand on heart I think we are definitely one of the worst three teams in the division.

Unless we are relegated yes.

Irrelevant what quality you think the players are. If we stay up we are still a PL side.

I have spoken to a few fans of other teams both in the prem and championship.

They are of the opinion we are not good enough, however they also think we will survive this season, but not next!

IF we survive this season and keep Hughton, I think we will go down.

IF we survive this season, sack Hughton and get O''Neil, I think we will survive.

IF we survive this season and keep Hughton, I think we will go down.

IF we survive this season, sack Hughton and get O''Neil, I think we will survive next season.

Of course we are dont be daft, last season was proof enough. The 10 game unbeaten run further proof that we can mix it with the big boys when we are on form. Reading, QPR... Wolves last season, teams that just collapse and never get out of the bottom 3 all season, those are teams that arnt Premire league. If we are going to start throwing this around then we can say going off this season that QPR, Reading, Wigan,  Sunderland, Newcastle, Villa, Southampton, Stoke and ourselves arnt Premier league as all of these teams have been down there or in the mix.. in fact this is probably the lowest we have been since the opening few games and our poor start.Frankly I dont give a monkeys what other teams fans think, they are always going to think there team is better, especially championship team fans who have no idea how their team would fair, yet seem certain they could do better. There is a bias in the media and in many fans eyes that only the top 6 are true premire league teams, but frankly you are only as good as the league you are in and the position within it. Last time I checked we werent in the bottom 3 (regardless of how close) and its the bottom 3  at the end of the season who arnt ''Premire league''.This analysis of why we are where we are is getting funny now, oh its done to the fact we arnt Premire League.. simple as that. We will just throw aside the last 2 seasons and the good results we have had. We are where we are because we need to improve in the final third and take more points off the teams around us, as nice as it was to beat Man U and Arsenal I would swap those wins for a victory against Wigan and Villa now!

The same MON who has peed money up the wall of every club he has been too and when told enough is enough (ie bankrupt) buggers off ?

Well to be fair, we are statistically the 3rd poorest team in the league, play the most negative style and have a championship manager. So possibly yes.

Are we the only side in the PL to have some lucky wins?, I doubt it very much. We are currently playing in the PL so ergo we are a PL team. If we go down then clearly we were not good enough, if we stay up then clearly we were just about good enough. If we stay up I suspect you will see a very different NCFC next season, as I believe our lack of strength in depth will have been noted and addressed.........

We are good enough if we play to a style that'' suits the players we have. The way the squad is managed is the most important thing, and that had been our failure this year.

I think we deserve to go down. I don''t want us to, but I think we deserve it. 2 wins in the second half of the season. Only QPR and Reading have less wins than us.

Sorry to say, I think we''re destined for the drop.

Row D Seat 7 - I agree that if we go down we will deserve to go down, however if we stay up we will deserve to stay up. Relegation is decided on the number of points accrued over 38 games, not over 5, 10, 15, 20 games, teams do not get more points for winning games in the second half of the season. If we accrue more points than three other teams over the course of 38 games, they clearly deserve to go down......

I agree with you, but sometimes not picking up wins becomes habit. Like it has with us. We are in the habit of losing games or drawing them. Villa have got the winning habit at exactly the right time.

I don''t think we would get relegated on 41 points, but just can''t see us beating West Brom. I think we will need more than one goal to beat them and can''t see where those goals will come from.

Funnily enough, I think the best thing as fans that we can do for the team is just yell "SHOOT" with all our might whenever we get anywhere near goal. The thing is, if a speculative shot takes a deflection and goes in, the team will realise that they can do it. More positivity and goals would result. At the very least, it will make things happen.

There is a profound lack of any individual willingness to try to make things happen. This is not Hughton''s fault. As I have said before, there is no way Hughton is in any way encouraging negativity. But, when they cross that white-line, its on them and they haven''t delivered.

Perhaps we have played a part in this as well. We have been pretty comfortable in the league for most of the season. However, we have obsessed about a relegation battle that didn''t exist (until recently). The players know that. That negativity from the crowd effects the players on the pitch and now we, the fans, have the relegation battle we wanted.

Perhaps there could be reason to play E Bennett as the second-striker instead of Hoolahan. Direct, positive, pacey and more willing to at least TRY to have a go than just about anyone in the team. Just a thought.

[quote user="Militant Canary"]Perhaps there could be reason to play E Bennett as the second-striker instead of Hoolahan. Direct, positive, pacey and more willing to at least TRY to have a go than just about anyone in the team. Just a thought.[/quote]
I may be wrong, but didn''t he play there in the P''Boro cup game? If memory serves me correctly he had a good game in that position. 

I had the same reaction when someone suggested Nigel Adkins would be a good appointment.

Think O''Neil would be much better than what we have right now.

Oh and yet another LOL moment for Morty. Loves a LOL. Haha ROFLWW.

we werewe arent now, in quality terms, courtesy of the manager and his coaching staff

and martin oneil was a great manager, but hes a bit past it, need someone up and coming, young and hungry who a great motivator, and likes his teams to score goals

billy davies, ian holloway, malky, zola, solskjaer, di matteo (lol), gary neville

but ill bet ya delia wants warnock

[quote user="87canary"][quote user="Militant Canary"]Perhaps there could be reason to play E Bennett as the second-striker instead of Hoolahan. Direct, positive, pacey and more willing to at least TRY to have a go than just about anyone in the team. Just a thought.[/quote]
I may be wrong, but didn''t he play there in the P''Boro cup game? If memory serves me correctly he had a good game in that position. 
[/quote]

87 Canary: Yes he did. Whilst it was against a poor (and now relegated) championship team, he has done this season to good effect.

He was played there briefly last season too. Can''t remember who against and it was only for about 30 mins, but he was bloody impressive there.

Benno was also played in that position fairly regularly when at Brighton. Some argue that its his best position. However, that was another time and another level, but still I''m certain he could do some damage in that position.

There is an added factor worth considering. Benno, Pilks and Snoddy can ALL play in that position and on either wing. The potential interchange is mouth-watering. Finally all of them are fit (the injuries we''ve had this season really haven''t helped) and it might now be possible to play them like this.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I had the same reaction when someone suggested Nigel Adkins would be a good appointment.

Think O''Neil would be much better than what we have right now.

Oh and yet another LOL moment for Morty. Loves a LOL. Haha ROFLWW.[/quote]

The Martin O''Neill that sold us Turner saying that he was a good pro but wouldn''t get in a side ahead of O''Shea, Wes Brown or Cuellar?

Sorry but in my books that is pretty poor judgement.

As for are we premier league. It''s interesting when you ask others. All the supporters of other clubs I know would not have us on the list of teams they''d like to see go down. Stoke, Sunderland, Wigan are normally the favourites.

Stoke are not seen as a premiership quality team, even by Pulis if you listen to what he says after games, they battle hard and win games on physicality not always on quality of the football.

Wigan are always favourites, no one likes them, they almost epitomise what a small club can do with lots of money.

But I''d also have a good look at the premiership this season. Other than Reading and QPR, there are a good eight or so teams which have been pretty dire at points this season, we are not the only ones.

The table doesn''t lie. West Ham, Fulham, Aston Villa, Southampton, Sunderland, Norwich, Newcastle and Wigan. Arguably Swansea even.

But when you look at those sides the main difference is that they have good strikers to fall back on, shoddy defences in many cases, but good strikers. When you have good strikers, pressure is lifted from elsewhere in the team, you know you can be more patient in build up play.

We haven''t been the most atrocious or even negative team, but we have been one of the teams that has struggled to pick up wins. And at the end of the day, it doesn''t matter how good your players are if they don''t do that. Just look at QPR.

I have said O''Neil is knackered and not a good idea. Same with the other two. Your other suggestions are good.