Sign in to follow this  
CanaryNewbee

Wigan vs Swansea- match thread

Swansea not even trying . At this time of the season luck can really play a part if you are up against sides like Swansea who really want to be on holiday .

There it is.... Unfortunately, Swansea have not turned up, nor will they turn up.I think our season is done ladies and gentlemen... Cannot see us beating WBA either..

And this is the trouble when you make it no longer in your own hands.

We only have ourselves to blame. I cant see Wigan surrendering a lead at home with Swansea looking so average. Well, we can always hope for Newcastle to capitulate to QPR and Arsenal.

The hardest thing to admit is that Wigan are playing better than we have in our last 2 games, why cant we just pull it together!? Urgh

Wigan are playing better than we have all season FFS

Minging.

Position Team Played Goal Difference Points
No Movement 1 Man Utd 36 42 85
No Movement 2 Man City 36 31 75
No Movement 3 Chelsea 35 34 68
No Movement 4 Arsenal 36 31 67
No Movement 5 Tottenham 35 18 65
No Movement 6 Everton 36 14 60
No Movement 7 Liverpool 36 25 55
No Movement 8 West Brom 36 0 48
No Movement 9 Swansea 36 -2 43
No Movement 10 West Ham 36 -8 43
No Movement 11 Stoke 36 -10 41
No Movement 12 Fulham 36 -11 40
No Movement 13 Aston Villa 36 -21 40
No Movement 14 Southampton 36 -11 39
No Movement 15 Sunderland 36 -12 38
Moving up 16 Wigan 36 -21 38
Moving down 17 Norwich 36 -22 38
Moving down 18 Newcastle 36 -23 38
No Movement 19 Reading 36 -26 28
No Movement 20 QPR 36 -28 25

And you can guarantee West Brom will play like Bayern Munich against us, get all the decisions, dodgy penalty, massively dodgy red card for us.........

Come on Laudrup at least pretend like you want to get something out the game and stick Dyer on second half.  Dyer would be a great outlet for Swansea........

Mark Lawrenson, at DW Stadium for 5 live Sport

"That is the first time Wigan have had a decent, first-time cross into the box and people were challenging for it. Espinoza struck it really well, because there was only a small window he could aim for. How does that change Martinez''s half-time team-talk, by the way?"

It just feels like everyone else in the mix can pull a performance and result out at the moment, except us.

Would it be too much to ask for it to be our turn on Sunday?

What really sticks in the gut is the fact that we have the players to have stayed up quite easily , it''s the manager who has been championship

We''ve just got to pray that Newcastle lose to QPR and Arsenal. I really can''t see us picking up more than a point against WBA. And we have the potential to capitulate against Man C and bugger up our slim goal difference advantage.

Got to say that it is looking like we''re favourites to go down now. And frankly on recent form, we deserve to.

If a professional footballer can honestly only play to their best when they are deep in a relegation fight, they are pretty worthless.

Swansea have only won once since league cup final - be very surprised if they manage to turn this round but here''s hoping.

I hope Hughton, Trollope, Calderwood and the NCFC squad are watching this game......and witness how a team with its backs against the wall - show true passion, commitment and a  never say die attitude in an attempt to survive in the Premiership.....

Game''s certainly not over yet......but I think Wigan won''t just rely on the one goal lead....

I have rarely (ever?) seen Swansea look so devoid of ideas and stodgy in their movement and passing. This is an entirely different side to the one that roared so loudly in the first three quarters of the season. They had far more spark and intensity at Carrow Road than here tonight too.

This is the price you pay when at the business end of the season you chuck three points to Wigan, Stoke and Aston Villa (4 shots in those games!)and ponder how on earth you failed to beat QPR and Newcastle.

It should never have come to this and was so avoidable.

Mr Hughton would comment that Wigan "have a lot of quality and can hurt you on the break"!Don''t think that Mr Martinez gives a toss about the Swansea ''quality''. (They are not playing anyway!)

Never mind Vorm, watch Monk!  He could have blocked it, kind of half goes for it, then looks like he makes the decision to just leave it![:@][:@][:@]

No Dyer, no Michu and to some extent no Moore and Swansea have looked a lot worse than the side that played us at CR! 

Still another 45 minutes. I reckon Swansea could still get back into this and then Wigan will become very very nervy. still only 1-0 ... anything can still happen. Keep believing!

I''ve been lip reading the exchanges between Martinez and Howard Webb on the touchline:

Martinez: "You''ve got to admire our boys Howie, the way we put in these late season charges."

Webb: "It''s a joy to watch Bertie."

Martinez: "it''s going to be tough for us to survive with all the matches we have to fit in Howie."

Webb: "Don''t you worry about a thing Bertie. I''ve got Norwich in the palm of my hands on Sunday."

At least Martinez gets Wigan playing as if every game is a cup final. And his players respond.Our destiny has been in our hands for almost 10 games, and we haven''t upped our performances in one yet. Plenty more twists yet, but it ain''t looking pretty.Can''t see Swansea getting back into this