Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Will Hughton stay

If we stay up?

What do you think, and what do you want?

I think i''d say I want him to leave. Not going to start any Hughton out campaigns or anything, but despite backing him for a long time and assuming he''d improve the front lines and play more positively next season I just don''t believe that anymore. And he hasn''t done enough to keep his job if we stay up by the skin of our teeth.

I think he will be off. Unless of course this was McNally/the boards plan. But our defence isn''t even as solid as it was even a month ago, we''d need to buy another Bassong and another Turner to keep consistency next season, which takes a large chunk out of the attacking budget, when we also need to buy Garrido or another LB, possibly another LB if Tierney leaves. The way Hughton has us set up, we''d need to spend so much money on better quality players who can win games with the current tactics, probably way out of our budget. Can''t see what he''s done as being enough to keep his job, unless the ''right'' man isn''t available.

"assuming he''d improve the front line"

He has, he signs on 1st July.

Everyone seems to forget he did try to sign both Hooper and RVW in January.

He has drmatically improved our defence. He is very much aware of our problem going forward and if we are still in the Prem he will try to address that this summer. (Already signed a marquee striker)

let him go even if we stay up, Gus Poyet to take over.

[quote user="CDMullins"]"assuming he''d improve the front line"

Everyone seems to forget he did try to sign both Hooper and RVW in January.[/quote]

Thats one striker.

What about the huge lack of pace and know how of what to do when we get in the final third. I think half the reason we haven''t scored as many is down to our tempo. We far to frequently just stop, turn around, which could work, if you then move the ball on quickly. But more often than not we don''t. Our current players and/or tactics (i''d say 70/30 in favour of tactics) create a huge lack of decisiveness in the final third. And when someone is decisive and puts a decent ball in the box, Holt (and Kamara) decides to go walkabouts and forget he''s a striker.

RVW would have scored a few goals with us playing like we are with the current players. But don''t think he''d bring a drastic improvement.

I used to hope Hughton was just playing like this because of the players he has. And perhaps he is. But as I (and we) don''t know the full story we just have to make assumptions.

I''ll keep CH if he signs one or two more players like Rvw.

Poyet whilst looking very good... it is a gamble.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]He has drmatically improved our defence. He is very much aware of our problem going forward and if we are still in the Prem he will try to address that this summer. (Already signed a marquee striker)[/quote]

I hope that was tounge in cheek ?

He has done nothing good to our squad at all.

He has taken decent players and drained the passion and flair from each and everone !!!!

''He has drmatically improved our defence.''

Which was also a line I used to use.

And yes its true to an extent. (A fairly large extent, but still...).

But we are just as mistake prone as we were last season in defence when you take out one of Bassong or Turner.

I think he should go a lot of fans have lost the trust in hughton to do the right things the right time ,and don''t pin to much hopes on one striker who is going to supply him the chances ?

van winky is a goal poacher some premiership clubs think he is to lightweight ! I am very worried that as hughton looks like he has kept us up I really think this was more luck and judgement he record is terrible the football is terrible I THINK THE CLUB WILL KEEP HIM

I am neither CH out nor competitively optimistic. I would welcome a change of manager and coaches.as these fellas have sucked the life out of an enthusiastic squad.

If we stay up, Hughton has achieved his brief, albeit in an unnecessarily dull, lifeless and soul destroying way. He will want to stay.

If we go down however, I think he will offer his resignation as a matter of course because that''s the sort of guy his is. Whether it is accepted is another matter.

I just cannot for the life of me see how he is going to move the club forward. I just can''t. We were spoilt by Lambert, but Hughton just isn''t the future.

Football is an entertainment business. This season, we''ve been sold massively short.

I hope not. One of the issues I''d be most concerned about in the boardroom is the apparent lack of flexibility or ideas to change approach when plan A (clearly) hasn''t been working. This doesn''t augur well if we face challenging times next season in whichever league.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="CDMullins"]"assuming he''d improve the front line"

Everyone seems to forget he did try to sign both Hooper and RVW in January.[/quote]

Thats one striker.

What about the huge lack of pace and know how of what to do when we get in the final third. I think half the reason we haven''t scored as many is down to our tempo. We far to frequently just stop, turn around, which could work, if you then move the ball on quickly. But more often than not we don''t. Our current players and/or tactics (i''d say 70/30 in favour of tactics) create a huge lack of decisiveness in the final third. And when someone is decisive and puts a decent ball in the box, Holt (and Kamara) decides to go walkabouts and forget he''s a striker.

RVW would have scored a few goals with us playing like we are with the current players. But don''t think he''d bring a drastic improvement.

I used to hope Hughton was just playing like this because of the players he has. And perhaps he is. But as I (and we) don''t know the full story we just have to make assumptions.[/quote]Its ok buying a striker we need supply too! We could have RVP up top and hed get no chances.Im with you GP. Nice to see youve came round!

Another one for you, what do you think the ''neutrals'' will think if we did sack Hughton?

Unfortunately I could only watch the Villa game online on Saturday, and the commentators had a lot of praise for Hughton. He seems to be a well respected man. Will the general opinion be he''s been unfairly sacked as he only had a limited group of players to work with? Or he''s been fairly sacked as he''s essentially moved backwards from last season.

The stated target at the beginning of the season was 17th and as he''s achieved that (Norwich now 9/1 to be relegated  on Betfair) I can''t see how he''ll be sacked. Or should be get in Martinez so we can be entertained with "fluent, attacking football" like Wigan?

I think McNally''s a realist. In his original seven year plan, after we got to the Premiership for the first time, we went straight back down. He''s aware financially there''s a huge gulf in the budgets between us and the more established clubs, and we''ve been hindered in having to pay off our debt.People forget it took West Brom 8-10 years to become an established Premiership club, and they only really stopped yo-yoing with Hodgson & odewingie.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Another one for you, what do you think the ''neutrals'' will think if we did sack Hughton?

Unfortunately I could only watch the Villa game online on Saturday, and the commentators had a lot of praise for Hughton. He seems to be a well respected man. Will the general opinion be he''s been unfairly sacked as he only had a limited group of players to work with? Or he''s been fairly sacked as he''s essentially moved backwards from last season.[/quote]Newcastle got a lot of stick when they sacked him, so Norwich will be totally ridiculed if they sack a manager who has achieved his target. One good thing is that he seems to have a gift for getting in good quality players at a fair price so there''s every reason to be optimistic for next season.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Another one for you, what do you think the ''neutrals'' will think if we did sack Hughton?

Unfortunately I could only watch the Villa game online on Saturday, and the commentators had a lot of praise for Hughton. He seems to be a well respected man. Will the general opinion be he''s been unfairly sacked as he only had a limited group of players to work with? Or he''s been fairly sacked as he''s essentially moved backwards from last season.[/quote]Newcastle sacked him because he wasnt adventurous enough and didnt think he was the man to take them forward.There are ways of achieving objectives, but if we achieve ours it has been done the worst possible way. A success but i cant credit him if we do stay up.

I don''t think there is anybody in football who thinks all we need is a striker.

I agree we have no pace and need that as well but be sure of one thing, we still wouldn''t have any pace if Hughton left either.

Before people make their minds up just evaluate the squad that he had to work with coupled with the end to last season where we lost 8 and drew three of our last 14 games. Why do you think Lambert was so keen to get away?

I''ll be happy to keep him...

I''ll also be happy to see snoddy and hoolahan go and get some decent creativity players.

(TinHat on)

If we stay up, then there''s no way we can sack him. Let''s not get carried away, our budget this season was poor compared to others, sacking would be harsh despite form.

However, he''d be on watch from day 1 next season. He''s just bought RVW and as long as we stay up, looks like getting Redmond. I cannot see us serving up the same dross we''ve seen this season with them two in there.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

Before people make their minds up just evaluate the squad that he had to work with coupled with the end to last season where we lost 8 and drew three of our last 14 games. Why do you think Lambert was so keen to get away?[/quote]We got 26 points after xmas last year inc wins at Swansea,QPR,WBAx2 & Tottenham. Draw at the Emirates and Chelsea and beat a couple more inc Villa. It was all that bad.Short memories.The squad worled well last yr and with a few additions and tweaks (not an overhaul) we would have progressed.

"Baracouda" I''ll be happy to keep him...

I''ll also be happy to see snoddy and hoolahan go and get some decent creativity players.

(TinHat on)

You''re a brave man ......... and I agree fully. There are one or two others who are overestimated by too many who I wouldn''t mind see move on as well.