Sign in to follow this  
CDMullins

Anyone take a drab, negative 0-0 draw on Sunday???

*strike that, they would need something from their final games to have a chance of overtaking us, but could still see Wigan finish behind them.

We need the win....settling for a draw doesn''t usually bode well (unless your CH)

I don''t want to get to the Man City game needing anything and goal difference might come into it if we don''t get the 3 points available.

Have to say I feel for the Wigan fans.....how do they go through that every season.

You lot are all bonkers in the nut.

You all talk as if it''s cut & dried, go for a win & we''ll get it. Simples.

Football doesn''t work like that. Blackpool found that out. Wigan found that out tonight.

Hughton has a dilemma to face on Sunday. He has to face it responsibly. It''s an awful dilemma to have, but it''s what he gets paid for. And one for which nobody here will ever have to suffer the consequences of getting it wrong.

Anything can happen Sunday, whichever players are on the pitch. So forget any private misgivings & just get behind the bloody team.

@SkyFootball 13m

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez fears defender Ronnie Stam suffered a broken leg in the 3-2 defeat by Swansea. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11682/8698323/Premier-League-Wigan-fear-Ronnie-Stam-suffered-broken-leg-against-Swansea …

I''m not one to rejoice in a serious injury to a player... but...

[quote user="ron obvious"]You lot are all bonkers in the nut.

You all talk as if it''s cut & dried, go for a win & we''ll get it. Simples.

Football doesn''t work like that. Blackpool found that out. Wigan found that out tonight.

Hughton has a dilemma to face on Sunday. He has to face it responsibly. It''s an awful dilemma to have, but it''s what he gets paid for. And one for which nobody here will ever have to suffer the consequences of getting it wrong.

Anything can happen Sunday, whichever players are on the pitch. So forget any private misgivings & just get behind the bloody team.[/quote]

Of course anything can happen

That''s why we need to go for the win. Go for the draw and we could easily lose PLUS a draw could easily not be enough

Sunday is still a must-win for City. Doesn''t mean we''ll get but but if we want to stay up and guarantee it ourselves we MUST win !

Need to prove that we deserve to stay up and not just rely on others. Therefore would like to think players and manager both want a win and play for it.

If it came with a guarantee that Wigan won''t get another win in their last 2 games, then of course I''d take a dour 0-0 draw, as it would keep us up and put another nail in Hughton''s coffin as our manager.But seeing as how we can''t have that sort of option, we should be playing for all three points and deciding our own destiny, rather than relying on others to keep us up...

I would suspect this is a match we should try to win - remember it''s realistically the last opportunity for points this season.

Football, as we all know, often conspires to cunjure the most bizarre combination of results. 39 points for us, and a draw and a win for Wigan would see us likely relegated on goal difference.

If Hughton left it up to the players I would fancy a win would be more likely.   "If you don''t know how each other play by now you''ll never know - get out there and stuff it up ''em lads!".

Exciting stuff this game of football innit?   Teams at the top battling away for a place in Europe, teams at the bottom fighting off relagation and those in the middle playing for a few extra bob whilst smiling smugly!

I think that it''s unlikely to be a 0-0 result, given the goals leaked recently. (Is Turner back yet?) If in the end it is a 0-0 I won''t mind if Wigan lose one of their remaining games.

Given how we have played (= underperformed) for several weeks, with the nationals now talking about our "poor team", it is going to need a massive effort from everybody. Defenders must close down and block shots, and not give attackers space. Forwards have got to run and run, and midfielders concentrate when making passes.

We managed it during the ten-game run, let''s urge them on to do it again, just for 95 minutes! 

This could pose some interesting tactical questions for Hughton - and fans.[;)] If we are drawing with - say - 15 minutes to go should we go for the win or play for the draw, on the very fair assumption that Wigan will lose at Arsenal?

I don''t think it will be a drab 0-0 and I don''t think that would be enough.   This is the match of the season and players and fans will be up for this one.   If we play well and win, the relief would go a long way to releasing the tension on all fronts.  If we then stay up the consensus will emerge that despite a difficult season, Hughton has done what he was asked and kept us up and we can look forward to the summer and getting some new players and improved forward playnext season.

we need to stop those surging runs through the centre of midfield, they prefer to attack through the middle and take long shots - ringing any alarm bells.

bringing in tettey will help this and force them wide where they are not so strong and we are.

a draw with 15 to go will leave us all with bloody fingers but playing conservatively. The whole game will be tense, but we have to play to win - just be disciplined and not be gung ho leaving gaping holes in the centre of the park again

We need to go into the game with a mindset to win it, or we''l fail to which is what has happened all season as quite frankly we haven''t had that mindset.

It has to be viewed as a much win, keep our fate in our own hands however aslong as we better Wigan, Im happy

Also can I remind everyone we were looking well set up for the draw as the clock ran down to 90 minutes last Saturday ?  WBA have players who can take advantage of a single chance.  We really need to be in front going into the final 20 minutes, hopefully then WBA will start to switch off. 

If we''re drawing with 10 minutes to go everyone will get very tense - on and off the pitch - and we know what that means.