Sign in to follow this  
henrik

Mr hughton has forgotton/neglected one key thing

If he''s so obsessed with making the defence tight why hasn''t he had a light bulb moment where he realises that attack is the best form of defence? It''s a cliche bit cliches are cliches for a reason, it''s because they tend to be based on history of being true! He has to go for it on Saturday. Also for all of our slagging off of our strikers, I firmly believe we have two problem areas. Firstly we have an ineffective midfield, and secondly we don''t have good enough full backs. If he''d have addressed that problem last summer or in January I think we would have scored goals and stopped the kind of goals conceded against reading and villa. IF we stay up, it''s those two areas that need addressing in my opinion first and foremost.

clearly it''s not..

Wigan going down with 44goals by the looks of things...

They''ve scored more than: Newcastle, norwich,Sunderland, Stoke, West Ham.

Level with Villa

and within 4 of Saints, Fulham, Swansea, WBA.

Not attacking enough - Check!

Poor Midfield - Check!

Not enough done in transfer window - Check!

All been said before a thousand bloody times! - Check!

Attack can be the best form of defence. Our trouble is that we have just about the weakest attack in the division, to judge by goals scored.

The midfield create little, and that includes two good wingers who are inconsistent and two central players who seem incapable of passing accurately. We do actually create chances, down the only avenue available to us - the wings and set pieces, but we have no effective converter of chances among our strikers, except Becchio, who is missing for some reason or other.

All too often misplaced passes going forward, or badly crossed balls from wide, cause us to lose possession and we have to backtrack.

Each week I hope that CH at al will have devised some new ways of attacking which will surprise opponents, but if they do the lessons seem forgotten by Saturdays.

It would be great to see us score two or three to round up our home season, but on recent performances there seems a very small chance. All

we can hope is that they give their all, run into spaces to receive passes while unmarked, maintain concentration, throw their bodies in the way of opponent shots and don''t allow opponents space and time and the ball. Not much to ask, and for 95 minutes.

The way I look at it is this.

Could you imagine last years team and formation with turner bassong garrido all involved?

Would''ve have been more solid and probably worked.

Not many teams could cope with the diamond.

what is stupid is that after bringing in a whole new look defence, and focusing on that area so publicly, we managed thus far to concede only 10 goals less than last season with Man City still left to play who normally knock 5 or 6 past us.

when you consider we were the highest scorers outside the top 6 last season, its frustrating to see us 18 goals behind that total when we still have the same players plus we supposedly added to that midfield quality.

i mean after all isn''t football about attacking and winning games?? scoring goals raises confidence, i know id rather the 4-3 against swansea than the hope for a goal and sit back for the rest of the game, game plan hughton sets out with every week!

If west brom watch tapes from games this season, hopefully we can surprise them by actually going for it Sunday and getting 2 goals without reply to calm the mood.

Attack is only the best form of defence if you''ve got players good enough to score for fun. Let''s not forget that we were terrible for the last few months of last season. Clearly our gung ho style under Lambert was being sussed out and needed change. Had we continued in that style, I fear we would have been down already this season.

Being organised and well drilled at the back is the best form of defence. Attack is only better if you''ve got poor defenders or poor coaches.

Just to address the diamond comment earlier. It was very rare we played the diamond last year. Even Lambert put it on the back burner.

We hardly used the diamond last season under Lambert....

And we haven''t used the diamond this season either CUSDP, Hoolahan has played behind the single striker

I noticed this morning we have lost more games this season than we did last year.

Strangely this year we have been more defence minded, but you would think that would reduce the amount of defeats.

Like your opening statement, maybe if we had been more attack minded we could have won more of the draws, and drawn more of the defeats!

[quote user="SpanishCanary"]what is stupid is that after bringing in a whole new look defence, and focusing on that area so publicly, we managed thus far to concede only 10 goals less than last season with Man City still left to play who normally knock 5 or 6 past us.

when you consider we were the highest scorers outside the top 6 last season, its frustrating to see us 18 goals behind that total when we still have the same players plus we supposedly added to that midfield quality.

i mean after all isn''t football about attacking and winning games?? scoring goals raises confidence, i know id rather the 4-3 against swansea than the hope for a goal and sit back for the rest of the game, game plan hughton sets out with every week!

If west brom watch tapes from games this season, hopefully we can surprise them by actually going for it Sunday and getting 2 goals without reply to calm the mood.[/quote]we have conceded 56 goals this season. 27 of them have come in just 6 games, which skews the figures to the negative. that is a fraction under half of goals conceded in 16.7% of games played. in the other 30 games, we have conceded just 29 goals. these figures show just what a Jekyll and Hyde side we appear to be. stats can be made to prove, or disprove, anything. if we are so bad, how come we have 11 clean sheets this season?