Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

If Turner is fit....

Would you drop Bennett? I think he has done well over the last two games, Bassong has actually been the one who looks as if he at least one mistake in him per game, recently. So should he be dropped?
I don''t know what i would do, Bennett has been the CB in the last two games, but Turner is our best defender on his day. Add to that we have looked dreadful when Bassong doesn''t play. Tough choice me thinks!

gotta go with best eleven if fit, and i believe turner and ruddy are in that, so if they both fit, they play

Bennett''s showing has been the one good thing about Turner''s injury. He is beginning to justify his fee as a young, able back-up at this level.

I would have preferred Martin in there with a chance for Whittaker at RB, but Bennett did the job. Whether we would have got a result against Villa going my way of thinking is another thing. 

Sunday needs the older heads if Turner is fit. 

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I''d like to see:

Ruddy

Martin Bassong Turner Garrido

Snodgrass Johnson Howson Pilks

Becchio Jackson[/quote]
That defense does look strong. I would consider bringing Whittaker in for Martin though, i think he is a bigger threat down that right hand side with Snodgrass.
Would love to see Becchio start. If he is in a team which creates chances he will score, he showed that in very poor leeds side.
Not sure how i feel about the formation, i don''t think the 4 5 1 suits Becchio but i am also concerned that our midfield will get overrun playing the 4 4 2. Wes looked our best attacking option against Villa so perhaps he should start, however the guy''s stats from this year are diabolical for an AMC.

No I would''nt drop Bennett as he is, I believe the only fit CB we have at the moment (barring Barnett). Bassong is not match fit but is playing with an injury IMO, through necessity as you rightly say we are are dreadful when he is missing.

Turner will have missed a couple of games and training, so I would stick with the same CB pairing, no real choice.

[quote user="Nicko"]Bennett was awful against Stoke[/quote]
Oh, i meant the Reading game, forgot the game against Stoke, as bad as the performance there last season, if not worse. Trying to think back to Bennett''s performance in that game but nothing really stands out, i just remember long ball after long ball which our defense dealt with on all but one occasion.

must be Turner and Bassong, with Ruddy in goal. we need the ability of those players and their experience as well. agree that Bennett has been an able deputy for Turner, but in a game with, potentially, so much at stake we must start with our strongest defence.

Lost count of how many times bennett pumped the ball back to stoke. Good in the air though.

Bennett has on several occasions just given up when he gets beat by someone. He really needs to do something wbout that. I agree though much improved, but for me Turner as he is also a threat at set peices.

Is whittaker injured?

So long as Turner is fully fit, he should not have lost too much match fitness, so I would play him.

I have to say that in one respect Bennett is possibly the best among our defenders, and this is in quickness to block shots. He is certainly better than all, with the possible exception of Bassong, and I think that with experience he will become a very good central defender as he is also good in the air.

All season there have been times when we have kept opposing attacks at bay by the "two lines of four", but regularly we let ourselves down by giving too much space, not closing down and not getting in a block. We deal with crosses generally well, but shots from around the edge of the penalty area have often been our downfall.

[quote user="clarkey1972"]Bennett has on several occasions just given up when he gets beat by someone. He really needs to do something wbout that. I agree though much improved, but for me Turner as he is also a threat at set peices.

Is whittaker injured?[/quote]TruthWe need Ruddy to be given his motherf*** chance now too! Getting mightily p****d off that he hasn''t been allowed to play. The defence will be even more composed with him there behind them and he is likely to stop those shots from outside the box that Bunn has less chance with. Plus he commands his box better and was pulling off the great saves too before his injury

Look at Reading who dropped Federici as soon as McCarthy was back (Fed was doing well too) and McCarthy has an instant blinder against Liverpool and they keep a clean sheet

Thing is, even though the mistakes/poor defensive work we''ve seen a few times over last 3 games haven''t been down to Bennett really at all. We have looked a lot less steady. It was assumed Bassong was making his partner play better, but it also appears Turner makes Bassong play better.

But having said that, Turner should only play if 100% fit, as Bassong is presumably still carrying his niggle that sees him limp off at the end of the last few matches.

I dont think Bennett has done much wrong at all defensively, showing what he can do when partnered with bassong as he did earlier in the season - the lad does have some potential

however the big word is if; any question about whether he can last 90 mins then turner does not play; otherwise he walks back into the team for me. Right now he is a level above bennett, but thats just ryans age and experiance and he will improve again next season.

as for those criticising his passing at stoke - 10 others were just as bad that day; defensively he did his job very well against crouch cameron and walters - thought he had a better game than seb