Sign in to follow this  
PIY

Ashton

ha, no he can move whenever he likes aslong as norwich accept

I believe (but would welcome confirmation!) that players can only move once in a 12 month period, as per new FIFA regulations. As Ashton moved to us from Crewe in Jan, he would have to wait another 12 months before he can move again.

If we can go straight back up then I think Deano will be here for at least 2 more seasons, if we fail to get promoted then he will be gone next summer. Deano has a very good head on his young shoulders and he will be in no major hurry to move on if we can get back in the prem. Remember he signed a 3 year deal with the option of a fourth, that doesn''t sound like someone who sees his move here as short term. He''s only 21 and time is very much on his side.

Lets face it, Ashton is the jewel in the crown as far as the team are concerned and that we would be stupid to ignore the fact.

If City are in pole position by Christmas then there is little chance that he will leave, but if we have made a complete pigs ear of it then who could blame the guy for walking away?

I agree with your assessment. Deano seems to have a good head on his shoulders and will not be in a rush to move on for the moment, as he''s still learning his trade. However, the danger will come when a club comes in for him with seriously big money, making it impossible for the Board to turn down an offer. There aren''t many class strikers about in the Ashton mould, and when you consider that James Beattie (who''s nowhere as good as Deano) cost Everton £7, then a bid of at least that amount would be realistic. Alternatively, the chance to play for a side in the Champions League (Arsenal or United) for example, may be too hard to turn down. Let''s just hope that we can hang on to him until at least Xmas, with an 8-point gap between us and the second team!    

I had a look on the FIFA website to see if there was anything about players contracts on there. Now before I start, I must add that my ability to interpret contracts, fine print and legal jargon is about as good as our defence was last year, so this is probably a load of rubbish.

From what I can tell there are some new contract regulations coming into play from the 1st July that state:

Article 18 - Special Provisions Relating to Contracts Between Professionals and Clubs

2. The minimum length of a contract shall be from the date of its entry

into force to the end of the Season, while the maximum length of a

contract shall be fi ve years. Contracts of any other length shall only

be permitted if consistent with national laws. Players under the age of

18 may not sign a professional contract for a term longer than three

years. Any clause referring to a longer period shall not be recognised.

Now seeing as Ashton signed in January this would

[quote]What about Boumsong? Joined Rangers in June 2004 then went to Newcastle in Jan 2005...[/quote]

Yeah but, Scottish football doesn''t count as it''s not "proper" football hee hee

I think Sven''s decision to leave him out of the England squad has done us a big favour.  If Ashton had gone to the US he would have had it in the back of mind that he could possibly make the World Cup squad.  That could have prompted him to think about moving back to the Premier League but as it is I think he will wait till January to see where City are.  If promotion is likely he will stay, if not he will leave.

Saint- your point has been proved exactly by the Liverpool offer for Crouch. Had Ashton gone instead and Liverpool offered for him I wonder if our Board would have turned it down?

[quote]I think Sven''s decision to leave him out of the England squad has done us a big favour. If Ashton had gone to the US he would have had it in the back of mind that he could possibly make the World Cup...[/quote]

Spot on Saint Canary.

The USA tour has certainly thrown a spotlight on the key players there, and I for one, am glad that Ashton did not make this tour.

That Newcastle article is really good, and shows how much knowledge the geordies have about football matters.

Contracts expire at the end of a season not after one year-dodgy rumour is Albion have bid £4.5 for Ashton after having had their bid for Kanoute rejected. Anyone your end heard of this rumour? I hope its true

[quote]Contracts expire at the end of a season not after one year-dodgy rumour is Albion have bid £4.5 for Ashton after having had their bid for Kanoute rejected. Anyone your end heard of this rumour? I hope...[/quote]

ROFL!  You couldn''t buy Deano''s left leg for £4.5M!!

[quote]Contracts expire at the end of a season not after one year-dodgy rumour is Albion have bid £4.5 for Ashton after having had their bid for Kanoute rejected. Anyone your end heard of this rumour? I hope...[/quote]

£4.5 million you''re having a laugh!! 900 grand of that will go to Crewe which would leave us 600 grand!! So 600 grand against the possibility of 20 mill, I don''t think that even our board are that stupid. He''ll be here all next season I''ve already got money on that, and will fire in the goals to get us promoted (hopefully).

4.5 million? Thats the kind of peanuts you pay for someone like Robert Earnshaw.

Bryan Robson can have Deano''s nail clippings for that! 

I was confused by this so I mailed the FA asking them to clarify the ruling.. also asking if Ashtons age  had any bearing .. heres the reply...

"Gordon

Unable to answer your query until after 24th June when the FA Council will be deciding how far down the football structure the domestic aspect of the new FIFA Regulations will apply

Clubs will be notified of the position as soon as possible after 24th June "

[quote]Maths not your strongest subject then ?[/quote]

I think he meant in terms of profit. We paid the inital £3 million, and a sale of £4.5 million would only leave us with the £600K profit he described.

Unfortunately you have not paid £3.m, you still owe Crewe almost £1.7 million and I believe you must sell as you will struggle to pay, unless you cash in other players.

[quote]Unfortunately you have not paid £3.m, you still owe Crewe almost £1.7 million and I believe you must sell as you will struggle to pay, unless you cash in other players.[/quote]

you believe wrong!!

Off the boil - how sad must you be to be posting on another club''s website.  Get a life.

[quote]Unfortunately you have not paid £3.m, you still owe Crewe almost £1.7 million and I believe you must sell as you will struggle to pay, unless you cash in other players.[/quote]

The remainder for Ashtons fee has been set aside from the parachute payments.  The club have been very careful with the finances and relegation will not have the same impact as it would have had on West Brom.

Off the boil city; please do not lecture me on the finances of Norwich City.  I know the club a hell of a lot better than you do and wouldn''t dream of telling you how much you still owe for Earnshaw.  I guarantee we don''t still owe Crewe £1.7M, we don''t need to sell and we won''t struggle to raise cash

Sad isn''t it, all through the season Off the Boil has provided us with decent posts AND been friendly with it, yet he has decided not to bother anymore because of the attitudes of some of our posters.  Well done.

We do still stil owe Crewe going on half of the £3 million for Ashton - I''m not sure of the exact figure. However we''ve known that''s going to be the case since Jan and Worthy wouldn''t have said he planned to bring in 5 players on top of what we already have if we need to sell.

Firstly Scottish law differs in many ways so could be the case in this instant.

Secondly Boumsong''s activity (i.e. the commentcement of his contract with Rangers) could have preceeded any FA/UEFA/FIFA laws.

Thirdly, when we signed Deano, Worthy made a point of saying he was in for the long haul. This would suggest Ashton was signed on a 2/3 year contract on the realisation that relegation was highly likely and if so he would lead our attack for next seasons promotion push.

Ashton isn''t going anywhere just yet.