Sign in to follow this  
BOO

The tide has changed

After watching the Wigan game last night I am now strongly of the opinion that we will stay up. I have been predicting relegation for a few months now and could see no conceivable way that our football would keep us in the Prem, however I can see Wigan getting no more than 1 point from their remaining games and hence we will stay up even if we lose our remaining ones.

If this scenario plays out I would still have no hesitation in calling for Hughtons head, we must act to get in someone like Martinez who could change our style to make us an attractive and special team, passing entertaining football could return to CR and given the resources we will have I believe we cold establish ourselves in the Prem.

[quote user="Vanwink"]After watching the Wigan game last night I am now strongly of the opinion that we will stay up. I have been predicting relegation for a few months now and could see no conceivable way that our football would keep us in the Prem, however I can see Wigan getting no more than 1 point from their remaining games and hence we will stay up even if we lose our remaining ones.

If this scenario plays out I would still have no hesitation in calling for Hughtons head, we must act to get in someone like Martinez who could change our style to make us an attractive and special team, passing entertaining football could return to CR and given the resources we will have I believe we cold establish ourselves in the Prem.[/quote]

Sorry to disappoint you, but the tide hasn''t turned and nothing has changed.  We still have to get points off WBA.You might as well get used to Hughton being here because he will be given time to develop the team.And why would we want Martinez - a manager who keeps a well financed club at the bottom of the premiership every year.

Teams with our resources playing "attractive" and "entertaining" football don''t general stay up. Compare Holloway and Blackpool with Pulis and Stoke. Give me boring football in the Premier League any day.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Your predictions for Wigans remaining games LDC?[/quote]

Anything I might predict for wigan is meaningless.   They could conceivably win one of their last two games.  So the realistic view is that we still need to win a match to ensure we are ahead enough by the final day, regardless of what other teams do.

We did last season, and resources will be much greater in 13/14 season

I think we still need a point otherwise we will still be worrying come the final game. A point against WBA and a Wigan loss at Arsenal and it will be no worries for the final week.[:D]

If you are going to compare managerial performance, you ought to include how much Wigan have spent on players in the several years they have been in the Premiership, with what was available to Hughton.

Martinez has a team containing several good Premiership quality players, Hughton has two or three with genuine Premiership quality, and the rest don''t really rise on a consistent basis above competent quality, as we have seen recently.

I am not a great admirer of Hughton, but I don''t feel it fair to judge him on what has happened this season. If RvW arrives and a few more expensive signings, that will be the time to judge him.

If the suggestion is that Lambert kept us up in mid table, then the answer is that we were unknowns. Now teams know that we offer little attacking down the middle, and can act accordingly. Lambert didn''t fancy battling a second season and took himself off, leaving Hughton to face the music.

It would be great if we got something out of the Baggies game, but I don''t have a great deal of confidence in that because of the idiot running the team, I have more confidence however that Wigan will get no more than one more point this season, so what we do is irrelevant, we will stay up anyway.

[quote user="ricardo"]I think we still need a point otherwise we will still be worrying come the final game. A point against WBA and a Wigan loss at Arsenal and it will be no worries for the final week.[:D][/quote]

I think we will still be worrying for the final game Ricardo and will be watching the other results, hopefully we will win on Sunday and that will be pretty much that.

[quote user="ricardo"]I think we still need a point otherwise we will still be worrying come the final game. A point against WBA and a Wigan loss at Arsenal and it will be no worries for the final week.[:D][/quote]

Exactly how I see it Ricardo.

Some people have reminded us of Wigan getting three points at the Emirates last season but anyone who thinks that this season Arsenal is not 100% better than them last year has no idea about football. I''m not saying Wigan havn''t got a fighting chance but I just cannot see Wenger letting it happen this year. They have have come too far this season to slip now and they still have a hell of a lot to play for.

We need one big push on Sunday, a win would be awesome but like you said, a draw and I think Wigan will feel they are gone,

[quote user="Vanwink"]It would be great if we got something out of the Baggies game, but I don''t have a great deal of confidence in that because of the idiot running the team, I have more confidence however that Wigan will get no more than one more point this season, so what we do is irrelevant, we will stay up anyway.[/quote]

Says it all for me.[Y]

[quote user="dpj canary"]

[quote user="Vanwink"]It would be great if we got something out of the Baggies game, but I don''t have a great deal of confidence in that because of the idiot running the team, I have more confidence however that Wigan will get no more than one more point this season, so what we do is irrelevant, we will stay up anyway.[/quote]

Says it all for me.[Y][/quote]

Idiot.

[quote user="Vanwink"][quote user="ricardo"]I think we still need a point otherwise we will still be worrying come the final game. A point against WBA and a Wigan loss at Arsenal and it will be no worries for the final week.[:D][/quote]

I think we will still be worrying for the final game Ricardo and will be watching the other results, hopefully we will win on Sunday and that will be pretty much that.[/quote]If we are still relying on other results for the final game then I think we will be in trouble. Hopefully it will be sorted before then.

Why do you introduce personal attacks on every thread LDC. You devalue yourself and ruin the site

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Vanwink"][quote user="ricardo"]I think we still need a point otherwise we will still be worrying come the final game. A point against WBA and a Wigan loss at Arsenal and it will be no worries for the final week.[:D][/quote]

I think we will still be worrying for the final game Ricardo and will be watching the other results, hopefully we will win on Sunday and that will be pretty much that.[/quote]If we are still relying on other results for the final game then I think we will be in trouble. Hopefully it will be sorted before then.[/quote]

Indeed

[quote user="Vanwink"]Why do you introduce personal attacks on every thread LDC. You devalue yourself and ruin the site[/quote]

And calling the manager an idiot isn''t a personal attack?

This is the problem. You and countless others are looking at other teams, and what they will and wont do.

I only worry about one team, and our inability to ''do it ourselves'' is really a cause for concern.

Fellow posters I am referring to as you well know LDC, you make a big thing about wanting to come on here and discuss issues with fellow supporters then you insult them and send threads off topic!

if wigan have good quality prem players who should we buy from them when they are relegated:?

Their wage bill is lower than ours so we can afford them...

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

This is the problem. You and countless others are looking at other teams, and what they will and wont do.

I only worry about one team, and our inability to ''do it ourselves'' is really a cause for concern.

[/quote]

Our inability to do it for ourselves is my absolute concern Wazzock, I am distressed that we have been such a poor side this year and I hold little hope that we will get anything form the next 2 games, BUT the point I make is that I still think we will stay up.

Then of course the inquest must begin, a new start with a new manager!

[quote user="Vanwink"]Fellow posters I am referring to as you well know LDC, you make a big thing about wanting to come on here and discuss issues with fellow supporters then you insult them and send threads off topic![/quote]

You risk spoiling your own thread.  You call the manager an idiot and djp agreed.  I just think that is idiocy.  Its an opinion - just  like yours - I''m just using the same language as you - so you can say what you like and I can''t?

Expect further twists and turns in the next 2 rounds of games. That said the home defeat by Wigan after being in front twice was a massive swing in favour of the 3 clubs currently on 38 points. There is no roomfor complacency though particulary as the Norwich/Newcastle and Wigan GD is too close to call and our last game of the season could further damage ours. Wigan have also suffered significant recent injuries and could well do without the physical and emotional drain of the cup final. If they drop points v Arsenal which is likely then aston Villa are safe which is a bit of a worry going into that last game at Wigan. Wigan may finish up on 35 points but are capable of beating Villa inparticular and then if we or the other teams on 38 at the moment lose it could all come down to GD which is a worry for us and Newcastle but Sunderland are ok. SomethingfromWBA and we should be ok and bring to an end a very painful season

Thats the point really Yorkshire, I think they would have been banking on getting something from last night, they looked very down at the end, their run in and of course crucially the Cup Final I believe will just be too much even for them, I think they are going to implode, will probably get tanked by Man City and that will be it.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Vanwink"]Fellow posters I am referring to as you well know LDC, you make a big thing about wanting to come on here and discuss issues with fellow supporters then you insult them and send threads off topic![/quote]

You risk spoiling your own thread.  You call the manager an idiot and djp agreed.  I just think that is idiocy.  Its an opinion - just  like yours - I''m just using the same language as you - so you can say what you like and I can''t?

[/quote]

Its dpj DLC![;)]

Watching last night Wigans defence looks shattered and broken, with injuries and the Cup Final as a distraction, they are in serious trouble. Its such a shame that we are watching for others to slip up, but thats where we are at. I can see us getting a point on Sunday (would love to say three, but my head says only one).

I can easily see Arsenal out scoring Wigan on Tuesday, so at last it will be job done by full time and we can relax for the final game. (God I hope so).

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

[/quote]

This is one of the biggest myths in football. Every team is dependent on other results. United would not be Champions yet if City had played better etc. etc. We live in a connected world.

Also, what does it matter? If we had 50 points we still only escape relegation because other teams had done worse than us. It is all relative. If we survive because three other teams did less well than us then we survive. That is all there is.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Why do you introduce personal attacks on every thread LDC. You devalue yourself and ruin the site[/quote]i believe the personal attack was by you on our manager. what goes round, comes round.