Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Missed opportunities

If we stay up, we would have achieved the objective for the season.

However, this season has been one of missed opportunities, namely the cup defeats.

We should have been at wembley three times this year. I have no doubt that we would have beaten Bradford over two legs and beaten Swansea in the final of the league cup.

Also losing to Luton who then lost to millwank who then beat Blackburn at home. Then lost to Wigan in the semi. I think we would have won those games playing more attacking football and we would have been playing citeh on Saturday, and with that confidence would have finished higher in the league.

As Norwich fans there aren''t that many opportunities to get to major finals and we have missed out big time this season

Wouldn''t have worked out like that though mate, we would have been a different number in the draw meaning we wouldn''t have drawn Millwall, Blackburn etc.

Football is all about if''s and but''s though, thats the joy of it :)

I find the Southampton the biggest what if of the season, thankfully its looking very unlikely that its going to doom us to relegation. But in terms of league place, especailly if we had won, we could have maybe gotten to 11th-12th. Now I think we are looking at 14th at best if other teams lose and we get that last win on sunday.

I find it interesting you''ve decided to state we''d be higher in the league if we''d gone further in the cup.

Wigan. Why aren''t they?

We would have met Millwall. I''m sure the FA Cup balls stay the same regardless and its the League Cup that changes.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I find it interesting you''ve decided to state we''d be higher in the league if we''d gone further in the cup.

Wigan. Why aren''t they?[/quote]Indeed, I find myself feeling sorry for the Wigan fans. I couldnt think of more of a bittersweet senario, watch a fantastic achievement that has no become the mother of all distractions. If it was Norwich I would want us to throw the cup with a B-side if we then had a must win away from home two days later. Being FA cup champions or runners up is going to feel very sweet from the 2nd tier next season.

What ifs...

Ignore the cups, in the league our what ifs that spring to mind are:

West Ham 0-0 draw - Harry Kane through on goal

Southampton penalty.

Arsenal dodgy ref and subsequent capitulation, imagine if we had that point still.

Sunderland dodgy ref not giving the pen for handball, i can accept the red card and penalty for them.

Aston Villa - why didn''t we just hold on and get a point?!

Wigan - 2 poor teams played, we didn''t even have a shot on target but the heartbreak of that kone goal will live on forever if we go down

WBA''s late winner to stop our unbeaten run

Spurs away and Brad Friedels MOTM performance

there you are, there''s 7 games where our luck ran out. 3 Wins became draws and 4 draws became defeats, 10 points. I called Arsenal a draw because my main gripe was that we never held on for a point. If we had them, we''d be level with WBA and on the beach already.

On the flipside, how much luck have we had?

I think we''ve stolen a win and a draw from Everton but that''s about it.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Every season is one of missed opportunities.  And taken opportunities.  No team takes them all.[/quote]

A post from an aptly named poster.

“ Life is short, art long, opportunity fleeting, experience deceptive, judgment difficult. ”

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]
West Ham 0-0 draw - Harry Kane through on goal 
Southampton penalty. 
Aston Villa - why didn''t we just hold on and get a point?! 

Wigan - 2 poor teams played, we didn''t even have a shot on target
WBA''s late winner to stop our unbeaten run 
[/quote]
I would argue those situations are more our own ineptness, nothing really to do with bad luck...
I''ve said time again that you make your own luck and that we are the makers of our own demise.

Ginja wrote:

"I would argue those situations are more our own ineptness, nothing really to do with bad luck...

I''ve said time again that you make your own luck and that we are the makers of our own demise."

By definition, you do not make your own luck.

The trick is to find strategies to maximise the likelihood of good luck & minimise the effects of bad luck.

"Life is not holding a good hand. Life is playing a poor hand well." - Danish proverb