Sign in to follow this  
J I Muffington

Tactical Nous

But why didn''t Swansea appoint a stabiliser? Someone the opposite to what we had.

This guy will never take us forward. You can save that comment.

He will leave us next year about November in the bottom 3.

nutty, I would agree with you that Swansea have changed this year being allowed to use a more direct ball if that ball is on. But I don''t think they''ve fundamentally changed their ethos in the same way that City have. It''s still about passing and movement - Laudrup has not changed that aspect of their play.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]But why didn''t Swansea appoint a stabiliser? Someone the opposite to what we had. This guy will never take us forward. You can save that comment. He will leave us next year about November in the bottom 3.[/quote]

Which division?

Swansea are following the same basic philosophy as they have for a number of years now, yes iris tweaked too prove their performance,they plying a bit higher up the field and are more direct than they were, oth necessary improvements, but the fundamental philosophy of how they want to play is the same.

We often hear about the Norwich way, keeping the ball down and playiing a fluid passing game, if this is the Norwich way then there would be very few complaints on here about our style of football.

End of this season would be a good to to reappraise the style of football we want to see, and appoint a manger who buys into that.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Prem mate.[/quote]

You''re in agreement we''ll stay up?

I''ve acknowledged your dislike of Hughton elsewhere, but, on the basis that the likelihood is that he will remain in situ, will you give him at least 6 games from the beginning of the season or will you be wanting him out all summer and throughout pre-season too?

(I actually just laughed to myself at the thought of a band of our supporters having a protest away at Dereham Town or something..."Git that Houghton out, bor!")

[quote user="Morph"]nutty, I would agree with you that Swansea have changed this year being allowed to use a more direct ball if that ball is on. But I don''t think they''ve fundamentally changed their ethos in the same way that City have. It''s still about passing and movement - Laudrup has not changed that aspect of their play.[/quote]

But we pass and move? Or do you see route one? We scored a goal against Sunderland where we passed and moved forever before we worked an opening. Ironically most of the crowd were busting a gut shouting "forwards" with groans every time we passed and moved. I''m not ure what people want to be honest. Except for winning football.

nutty, to be honest there seems to be a mindset of get it out of the centre of the park to the wings and hope those lads do their stuff and then the ball into Holt will give us an opening, but we''ve done our bit going forward and we are now told to sit and protect.

Haha. Lets all go to Aldiss park.

I think because of last night and wigans fixture pile up we will just stay up. A draw v WBA will be enough.

If we stay up I know he''s achieved his objective but I think will a bit more "tactical nous" and continuity from last year it would''ve been done easier.

In all honesty (you know me better than most in here) I never wanted him. Even in the 10 match run I wasn''t convinced. I''ve seen some lows in my time as a city supporter but at times this ye we have looked more lost than ever.

If he proves me wrong and we kick on next year I will happily hold my hands up and say I got it wrong.

How long will I give him if the objective is achieved?

Depends on performances. If I see us playing with more intent to win games then I think in the main, he will win back support. Including me. I always remember Man City at home last yr. lost 5-1 but every fan stayed to cheer us off as they gave there all and went toe to toe with the champions.

Realistically I can''t see him changing his principles. He''s always played 1 up top and 2 defensive mids.

If things haven''t improved by October then I can''t see how he can carry on.

I hope as much as anyone that he''s a success and we see performances again.

Question for you bud.

Sunday. With Wigan losing last night, we know a win would make us all but safe against a team already on the beach. Do you think he will play it safe or go for it?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Morph"]nutty, I would agree with you that Swansea have changed this year being allowed to use a more direct ball if that ball is on. But I don''t think they''ve fundamentally changed their ethos in the same way that City have. It''s still about passing and movement - Laudrup has not changed that aspect of their play.[/quote]

But we pass and move? Or do you see route one? We scored a goal against Sunderland where we passed and moved forever before we worked an opening. Ironically most of the crowd were busting a gut shouting "forwards" with groans every time we passed and moved. I''m not ure what people want to be honest. Except for winning football.

[/quote]

Nige for me a big part of the problem we have is the lack of movement in the final 3rd. No midfield runners ever break beyond holt.

cusdp, "Realistically I can''t see him changing his principles. He''s always played 1 up top and 2 defensive mids."

That would not be a problem if he was prepared to let the midfield push forward. There''s a distinct reluctance to do that.

QPR game away for me was a game begging for some passion going forward. That was a game there for the taking, but how many times did City attack with just 1 or 2 players.

One of the fundamental changes Pochettino seemed to have made at Southampton was to get his midfield players forward in support of the attackers.

Chelsea are playing with two holding midfield players, but if one pushes forward the other sits. They don''t both sit. How often do you see Ramires beyond the three advanced midfield players.

Firstly, I don''t think WBA will be on the beach. Though if they played in flip flops it would help....they did more than enough to beat Wigan last weekend but were undone by a couple of good goals.

What do I think he''ll do? That depends, if Hoolahan plays it will be Holt on his tod, if he doesn''t it''ll be Holt and well, who? In fairness his options are limited given that he clearly doesn''t fancy Becchio.

Personally I''d play (and hope we do play): Ruddy, Whittaker, Bassong, Turner, Garrido, Tettey, Johnson, Pilkington, Snodgrass, Hoolahan, Holt.

Maybe a bit harsh on Russell Martin, but I prefer Whittaker.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Swansea are following the same basic philosophy as they have for a number of years now, yes iris tweaked too prove their performance,they plying a bit higher up the field and are more direct than they were, oth necessary improvements, but the fundamental philosophy of how they want to play is the same. We often hear about the Norwich way, keeping the ball down and playiing a fluid passing game, if this is the Norwich way then there would be very few complaints on here about our style of football. End of this season would be a good to to reappraise the style of football we want to see, and appoint a manger who buys into that.[/quote]

And who exactly is going to carry out this reappraisal?

[quote user="Vanwink"]Hyperthetical for you Nutty, if this years Hughton team played last years Lambert team what do you honestly think would be the result?[/quote]

Ridiculous question!  (hyperthetical (sic) or not)

[quote user="Vanwink"]Your missing my point Bunn, yes where would we be without Turner and Bassong, but you are talking there about individual players, I am talking about ow we play as a team. With those two at the back last season we would have finished even higher than we did yet this year we have been very very poor![/quote]

There''s absolutely no way of knowing that. They may not have integrated into that team and the way it played.

[quote user="Vanwink"]He has followed the philosophy of their Chariman which was built by Martinez, followed on by Rodgers and now continues. This is a very interesting Pint, Swansea have a style of play, as a club, which they are quite clear about and anyone coming to the club buys into it or doesn''t join. Maybe we need to establish something similar at CR so we are clear from the outset the style of football we want to play and make appointments accordingly[/quote]

Methinks you may have been watching and influenced by too much MOTD.

Perhaps it''s me then. But I think expectation is the curse of the football fan. Chesea''s players are better than ours. They are going to get more from them. They finish top four every season. They have a player budget to equip t6hem to win the Champions League. And they have an owner for whom money is no object. Abramovch would certainly have sacked Hughton before now.

But even those of you who think Hughton''s done a worse job than I do can surely see that last season''s premier league and Lambert are irrelevant. One thing this thread does hammer home is the impossible job Fergie''s successor will have.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Abramovch would certainly have sacked Hughton before now.[/quote]Abramovich would have been on the verge of it purely after watching our pre-season games, and the Fulham result would have been more than enough to tip his hand...

Everyone says Hughton is a great coach. From Hoddle to jol. There''s a massive diff between a coach and a manager. Look at Peter grant.

But....who in our squad apart from johnson has developed this year?

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Vanwink"]He has followed the philosophy of their Chariman which was built by Martinez, followed on by Rodgers and now continues. This is a very interesting Pint, Swansea have a style of play, as a club, which they are quite clear about and anyone coming to the club buys into it or doesn''t join. Maybe we need to establish something similar at CR so we are clear from the outset the style of football we want to play and make appointments accordingly[/quote]

[/quote]

Methinks you know very little about Swansea City

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Everyone says Hughton is a great coach. From Hoddle to jol. There''s a massive diff between a coach and a manager. Look at Peter grant. But....who in our squad apart from johnson has developed this year?[/quote]

I look at Peter Grant and Roeder and Gunn and Megson and Deehan and Megson again everytime I think about what could happen if we continually change our manager. That''s the trouble when a really successful manager leaves.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Vanwink"]Your missing my point Bunn, yes where would we be without Turner and Bassong, but you are talking there about individual players, I am talking about ow we play as a team. With those two at the back last season we would have finished even higher than we did yet this year we have been very very poor![/quote]

There''s absolutely no way of knowing that. They may not have integrated into that team and the way it played.

[/quote]

But they are good players so you know they would

You have a very familiar tone Webbo, who do you think should do it?

[quote user="Vanwink"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote] Methinks you know very little about Swansea City[/quote]

And I assume your great and detailed knowledge comes from regularly watching them.

[quote user="Vanwink"]You have a very familiar tone Webbo, who do you think should do it?[/quote]

Surely you wouldn''t have suggested it without having someone in mind.

[quote user="Vanwink"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote] But they are good players so you know they would[/quote]

Methinks you may be taking a tiny bit too much for granted.