Sign in to follow this  
J I Muffington

Tactical Nous

[quote user="morty"]Lol, why do you always answer a question with another question?Yes, if your cup is half empty you could point to those results, but overall our home form still accounts for the fact we''re not already relegated. [/quote]Our home form is very good. 7 wins 7 draws 4 defeats.  Can''t ask for much more than that.  We play more attacking at home than away this season.  But also I think the mentality of the opposition makes a difference.  A lot of teams go away looking for a point.  There have been a lot of home games where we have settled for that point with them.  The 10 game run contributed massively to our excellent home form.Away from home I think we have just been far too negative. The only win was the bizarre game at Swansea. We somehow went 3-0 up but then were lucky not to capitulate in the 2nd half when the referee ruled out a perfectly legitimate Swansea goal at 3-2.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"]Lol, why do you always answer a question with another question?Yes, if your cup is half empty you could point to those results, but overall our home form still accounts for the fact we''re not already relegated. [/quote]Our home form is very good. 7 wins 7 draws 4 defeats.  Can''t ask for much more than that.  We play more attacking at home than away this season.  But also I think the mentality of the opposition makes a difference.  A lot of teams go away looking for a point.  There have been a lot of home games where we have settled for that point with them.  The 10 game run contributed massively to our excellent home form.Away from home I think we have just been far too negative. The only win was the bizarre game at Swansea. We somehow went 3-0 up but then were lucky not to capitulate in the 2nd half when the referee ruled out a perfectly legitimate Swansea goal at 3-2. [/quote]Thing is, in the same breath you are saying that away teams come to Carrow road looking for a point, but criticise that we do the same.In my opinion we are growing up in football terms. We simply could not continue to ship goals like we did last season, I don''t think its justthe tactics are at fault, I think its down to the quality of some of the players.

Rubbish.

It''s the very fact that we''ve shipped goals against Chelsea, Man City, Man U, Fulham and Liverpool twice , that is putting us in the disastrous position of being relegated on goal difference.

Norwich got turned over just twice last season - both times when Man City were playing at their best.

Fulham - -5
Liverpool - -8
Chelsea - -4
Man City - -1 (Atm)
Man U - -3
-21 from our drummings alone.

[quote user="unique"]Rubbish.

It''s the very fact that we''ve shipped goals against Chelsea, Man City, Man U, Fulham and Liverpool twice , that is putting us in the disastrous position of being relegated on goal difference.

Norwich got turned over just twice last season - both times when Man City were playing at their best.[/quote]I was talking about the ability to keep a clean sheet.

[quote user="J I Muffington"].......... Holt. Agreed he is not the same player from a leadership, attitude point of view. But spending the season after my best ever as a lone striker, going wide and deep for no results game after game would annoy the hell out of me. .....[/quote]

^^^  This new mysterious poster seems to know quite a bit.  I wonder who they could be?[:^)][I][:O]

I cannot really see the defence is much better than last season. After Man City, goals conceded will be very little different and this will be despite a negative defensive approach and two DM.

What is also clear over last few games is that Bassong is carrying an injury and is a bit of the pace and unusually hesitant.

[quote user="morty"]In my opinion we are growing up in football terms. We simply could not continue to ship goals like we did last season, I don''t think its justthe tactics are at fault, I think its down to the quality of some of the players.[/quote]

Growing up? We have gone from uber attacking to uber defensive. We went to Stoke with a team setup to defend for 90 minutes. Stoke FFS! I would hardly call it growing up.

Our passing accuracy is down, our possession is down, our shots are down, our goals are down, our goal difference is worse The defensive has conceded slightly less goals. Our results are worse.

If you ask me a key problem is playing Holt as a lone striker. He sits deep, and is used to playing with another striker further forward. But then we all know he can''t play that role.

Lambert picked a team around the squad''s abilities. A lot like Fergie does. Hoot has picked a shape and forced people to play within it. We are seeing clearly who had the better idea.

[quote user="morty"]Thing is, in the same breath you are saying that away teams come to Carrow road looking for a point, but criticise that we do the same.[/quote]

How many teams in and around us have decent away records? Stoke Newcastle QPR and Fulham all came to Carrow Road playing for a point. They all have rubbish away form. Our away form is particularly bad, and we go away from home and play particularly cowardly football.

This is a great post J I M. I believe CH is scared to death of losing, and as such maintains a defensive attitude regardless even after going a goal down, he still believes we might "nick" a goal but we mustn''t concede another - rather than, s**t we need to get back into this and make the necessary substitutions.

I am sure his brief has been "We must stay up at all costs", and this has manifested itself into the kind of defensive mentality on show at present.

Steve Clarke is a great example at setting the formation depending on the game - he will use 3 up front with no fear if he thinks that what is needed.

I actually like CH, and have stuck with him for most of the season, but the reality is the best form of defence is attack - we have the ability to hold most teams to 0 or 1 goal against, what we don''t have is the "up and at em" attitude to put teams under pressure and keep them there.

In my opinion, get Holt & Becchio up front with Wes sitting just behind - Pilks & Snoddy pumping crosses in with Garrido & Martin pushing up in support. That would be how we get goals, we may concede the odd one or two more, but at least we would be showing some attacking intent.

I am nervous now, and it may be too late, but it is better to have tried and lost than never to have tried at all......

I''m with Morty on those wasted home points, they really were there for the taking. It would have then allowed us to be more attacking away from home (in theory!)

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"]In my opinion we are growing up in football terms. We simply could not continue to ship goals like we did last season, I don''t think its justthe tactics are at fault, I think its down to the quality of some of the players.[/quote]

Growing up? We have gone from uber attacking to uber defensive. We went to Stoke with a team setup to defend for 90 minutes. Stoke FFS! I would hardly call it growing up.

Our passing accuracy is down, our possession is down, our shots are down, our goals are down, our goal difference is worse The defensive has conceded slightly less goals. Our results are worse.

If you ask me a key problem is playing Holt as a lone striker. He sits deep, and is used to playing with another striker further forward. But then we all know he can''t play that role.

Lambert picked a team around the squad''s abilities. A lot like Fergie does. Hoot has picked a shape and forced people to play within it. We are seeing clearly who had the better idea.[/quote]You should definitely be applying for the managers job if he goes, you have it all sussed[Y]

"I was talking about the ability to keep a clean sheet."

A total irrelevance since Christmas, I''m afraid.

All teams start games with a point...0-0. We''ve kept four clean sheets this year and ''gained'' nothing....zilch....sweet FA.......just kept the four points we started each game with - three of which were at home....

Hughton''s brought in his players to tighten the defence and the upshot is our goal difference stands ten worse than last year, with improvement most unlikely.

Lambert clearly got the team better balanced than Hughton, with supposed weaker resources.....

Pointless post.......but I guess it helps your ''count''....

Many of the squad are the same and the questions will continue to be asked how Lambert extracted more out of many of the current crop of players than Hughton has been able to....

morty wrote the following post at 07/05/2013 12:57 PM: You should definitely be applying for the managers job if he goes, you have it all sussed[Y]

I certainly don''t have anything sussed. Perhaps if Hoot actually affected a game with a decent tactical move people would see things differently. The most we have seen of his genius this season is ''bring another striker on if we go one down''. That is it.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]morty wrote the following post at 07/05/2013 12:57 PM: You should definitely be applying for the managers job if he goes, you have it all sussed[Y]

I certainly don''t have anything sussed. Perhaps if Hoot actually affected a game with a decent tactical move people would see things differently. The most we have seen of his genius this season is ''bring another striker on if we go one down''. That is it.[/quote]

No one called him a genius, but he certainly isnt the bumbling idiot you are making him out to be.

The real irony is that Hughton''s seemingly exclusive concentration on defensive

aspects has actually worsened the best form of defense, ie keeping the

ball. Certain weaknesses in our possessive game were apparent even under Lambert, but this area has markedly deteriorated under Hughton.A lot of people on here have now taken off their rose tinted glasses and realised that Hughton changed things too radically and failed to improve on the very basics. A team cannot play the way Hughton wants us to play if they can''t keep the ball, it''s as simple as that.

[quote user="unique"]Pointless post.......but I guess it helps your ''count''.... Many of the squad are the same and the questions will continue to be asked how Lambert extracted more out of many of the current crop of players than Hughton has been able to....[/quote]

What has my post count got to do with it? Does it really scaaaaaaaaaare you?

Lambert is gone. Get over it. There''s nothing we can do about it.

Short of jumping ship and supporting Villa there''s nothing you can do to bring him back.

[quote user="unique"]Pointless post.......but I guess it helps your ''count''.... Many of the squad are the same and the questions will continue to be asked how Lambert extracted more out of many of the current crop of players than Hughton has been able to....[/quote]

What has my post count got to do with it? Does it really scaaaaaaaaaare you?

Short of jumping ship and supporting Villa there''s nothing you can do to bring him back.

Become a Lambert fan...follow him around wherever he may go....as sure as eggs is eggs he will dump Villa when a bigger club comes along. Only one thing Mr Lambert is intrested in & thats Mr Lambert!!!!!

It''s not even about tactical nous. Hughton has just bled the confidence out of the team, drip by drip, like a leaking radiator.

My post had nothing in it that said bring Lambert back.

Read it properly...digest...then come back with a more relevant repost.

As it happens, Sunday requires a more ''Lamberesque'' performance than ''Hughtonesque''.

Perhaps Hughton should sit down with Holt, find out how he thinks Norwich would be best suited to ''set-up'' in order to produce the sort of performance more in keeping with last season rather than those of this year......

.....because if it''s more of the same of the last few months then we''ll be cementing 18th spot....

his lack of confidence in the ability and quality of the central midfield is there for all to see - as are the impacts of that lack of trust.

[quote user="unique"]" Lambert clearly got the team better balanced than Hughton, with supposed weaker resources.....[/quote]

Lambert and last year is irellevant. It''s this squad, Hughton and this year that counts. It''s not my fault you can''t get over Paul Lambert and having pops at me won''t really help you through your loss. Stop living in the past. Every Premier season is different. What worked last season won''t neccessarily work this. For all you know Lambert might have got us relegated with 15 points and a minus 50 goal difference. His achievements stopped last summer.

Last year is far from irrelevant...and making up cr*p about ''getting over Paul Lambert'' suggests you interpret posts with a distinct lack of intelligence.

Lambert clearly got the team better balanced, ie between attack and defence..

Holt, Pilkington, Bennett, Howson and Hoolahan have, by common consensus, played far worse than they did last season.

For the match on Sunday they need to be playing with the skill, enthusiasm and freedom that they did for much of last season. If they can find that in themselves for just one game, then safety may still be reached. If they continue to play as Hughton sets them up, tactically and psychologically, then the chances are reduced.

"For all you know Lambert might have got us relegated with 15 points and a minus 50 goal difference" could equally stupidly be argued that we may well have won the FA Cup, League Cup and be sat comfortably in eighth spot if Lambert had stayed and made a few key signings.....

The only loss I''m suffering is the words to describe your apparent sense of superior opinion.