Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Hughton's popularity

Popularity isn''t a must have for a manager,  but it is an enduring memory of this season that having watched Hughton and the respect he commands in the game,  it is remarkable that he has fallen foul of some of our fans.  He has had a tough time since the new year, that is for sure,but he has kept his dignity, we have picked up points along the way and are still hard to beat.    He received abuse almost from the moment he got here - mainly because he believes that defending is at the heart of a successful team  - and that our team definitely needed help in that department.  

So he set to work, tried to get to know the best combination of our players to make things work.   Finally it seemed as if he was getting it right.   Hard to beat - some very notable victories and an unbeaten run only rivalled in the whole of Europe by Barcelona.   This would you have thought cemented him as an all time favourite.

So what has happened to stop that?   The players struggling to maintain the level of play we had before the new year.  The loss of Ruddy may have contributed, although Bunn has been a good understudy.     His decisions on buying players have been good - even for next season and RVW.  But it is the style of some - not all -  the performances that has upset some - because we went through a period of struggling to get shots on target.   But some matches have been ok, especially more recently.   If the Villa match had been earlier in the season people might have said it was a good performance and we were  undone by two quality strikes. 

So a popular figure in the game gives us a fantastic run - after a difficult period getting to know the players -  is on target to keep us up - which was his brief - but on here we get a succession of threads and posts lambasting him.  We all know we''ve been through a difficult time.  We''ve all sat through  the dull games.   But seriously, can''t some of you Hughton detractors see the bigger picture?  

If we stay up we will all see how all the Hughton detractors will disappear into the ether when they realise that most of us want him to stay, that he has done his job for this season and that we have a lot to look forward to next season.  If we don''t, the noise will carry on, but seriously, in the cold light of day, Hughton has a good record as a championship manager too. 

I don''t even have took who starts this cr*p now.[:S]

When he signed I thought he''d do ok, but then we had a rough pre-season and the awful first game at Fulham.Still I was patient and gave him plenty of time to turn things around, and even when the football was poor and improvement didn''t seem likely, I said nothing to criticise the guy.We''re now at the point where I feel that I''ve given the guy a more than fair opportunity to improve things, but the football is just as bad if not worse than at the start of the season, changes in games are usually too late and often not really great choices (IMHO), and we''re on the verge of relegation unless the lads can pick up some of the old spirit and flair they had under Lambert and get the result we need for safety.Some people have been too harsh and expected too much from day 1, but I personally am not one of those posters, I''m simply a fan like everyone else who is genuinely worried about our future in the league under our current manager, and given the displays we''ve seen this season along with the belated changes when needed during games, I have little confidence that we''ll see any major improvement next season if he''s given the chance.And that really is as simple as it is for me.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]When he signed I thought he''d do ok, but then we had a rough pre-season and the awful first game at Fulham.Still I was patient and gave him plenty of time to turn things around, and even when the football was poor and improvement didn''t seem likely, I said nothing to criticise the guy.We''re now at the point where I feel that I''ve given the guy a more than fair opportunity to improve things, but the football is just as bad if not worse than at the start of the season, changes in games are usually too late and often not really great choices (IMHO), and we''re on the verge of relegation unless the lads can pick up some of the old spirit and flair they had under Lambert and get the result we need for safety.Some people have been too harsh and expected too much from day 1, but I personally am not one of those posters, I''m simply a fan like everyone else who is genuinely worried about our future in the league under our current manager, and given the displays we''ve seen this season along with the belated changes when needed during games, I have little confidence that we''ll see any major improvement next season if he''s given the chance.And that really is as simple as it is for me.[/quote]ONE YEAR. HE''S ONLY HAD ONE YEAR.Honestly do you think that had Man United sacked Fergie after ONE year that they''d be anywhere near the force they are now?You havent given him enough time. One year isnt enough.

Plenty vanwink, wow looks like i really rattled your cage tonight.

Bless.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]When he signed I thought he''d do ok, but then we had a rough pre-season and the awful first game at Fulham.  Still I was patient and gave him plenty of time to turn things around, and even when the football was poor and improvement didn''t seem likely, I said nothing to criticise the guy. We''re now at the point where I feel that I''ve given the guy a more than fair opportunity to improve things, but the football is just as bad if not worse than at the start of the season, changes in games are usually too late and often not really great choices (IMHO), and we''re on the verge of relegation unless the lads can pick up some of the old spirit and flair they had under Lambert and get the result we need for safety. Some people have been too harsh and expected too much from day 1, but I personally am not one of those posters, I''m simply a fan like everyone else who is genuinely worried about our future in the league under our current manager, and given the displays we''ve seen this season along with the belated changes when needed during games, I have little confidence that we''ll see any major improvement next season if he''s given the chance.And that really is as simple as it is for me.[/quote]

Thanks for being the only replier up to now that actually says anything, Indy.    I can understand anyone being worried.  I worry that if Hughton goes we may have lost an opportunity of a longer term development.   He has had difficulties, injuries, loss of form from key players.  Given a whole season with the experience he has had this season, I can see longer term gains - but he has to have learned from this season too.    And it hasn''t been all bad, has it?

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]Honestly do you think that had Man United sacked Fergie after ONE year that they''d be anywhere near the force they are now?[/quote]But Fergie wasn''t playing dogs**t football and looking for a draw every game either was he!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]Honestly do you think that had Man United sacked Fergie after ONE year that they''d be anywhere near the force they are now?[/quote]But Fergie wasn''t playing dogs**t football and looking for a draw every game either was he![/quote]

And how do you know?

Did you used to be a Man United fan?

[quote user="lake district canary"]And it hasn''t been all bad, has it?[/quote]Nope, his signings have been good and I can''t complain about them for what they are and how they do their jobs, also his professional manner and conduct is a credit to the game.My issue is with the quality of play on the pitch, and I''d rather take a less charismatic and professional manager if he can get us playing good football and doing more than endless defending and trying to nick a goal from a set play.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]And it hasn''t been all bad, has it?[/quote]Nope, his signings have been good and I can''t complain about them for what they are and how they do their jobs, also his professional manner and conduct is a credit to the game.My issue is with the quality of play on the pitch, and I''d rather take a less charismatic and professional manager if he can get us playing good football and doing more than endless defending and trying to nick a goal from a set play.[/quote]

I have the feeling that if we allow him to, Hughton will develop the defence to such a fine degree that we will not lose many games next season - and the midfield will be upgraded with players who can better make use of the ball and so create more.  That, plus RVW and other strikers will get more chances.   I don''t think the football will look defensive - it will look as it has done this season when it has worked - those games where we marvelled at our play (first half away at Swansea, home to Sunderland, first half, not to mention MU, Arsnl and Spurs games).  Strong in defence, creative in midfield and potent in attack.   We''ve seen it.  We didn''t imagine it.   I suspect that Hughton will be as frustrated as any of us that we haven''t been able to find that form more often, but it has been better of late - even recent games have not been all doom and gloom.   He must imo be given at least another season.

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]Honestly do you think that had Man United sacked Fergie after ONE year that they''d be anywhere near the force they are now?[/quote]But Fergie wasn''t playing dogs**t football and looking for a draw every game either was he![/quote]And how do you know?Did you used to be a Man United fan?[/quote]As I was only 8 at the time he took over (and a Norwich fan to boot), I''d be hard pressed to claim I could offer in-depth analysis of that season could I?That being said we can glean a small degree of information from the stats of that season, which shows 52 goals scored, 45 conceded and an 11th place finish in the league. Peter Davenport scored 14 league goals as their leading scorer, with Whiteside on 8 and Stapleton on 7. They scored more than they conceded which suggests they managed to attack to a reasonably succesful level, and only 4 teams conceded less goals which shows they defended reasonably well overall and not at the cost of their attacking play (Indeed we ourselves only scored 53 and conceded 51 so had a worse goal difference but finished 5th!).That basic information alone is enough to tell me that it was an average season where they probably got unlucky with some results (as their GD is pretty good), but that they certainly didn''t sit back and defend nor show an ability to hit the back of the net.I can also speak to a number of friends who are Man Utd fans (and older than I am) who have never once said that they played bad football when Fergie joined them.So that''s how I can argue that he didn''t play dogs**t football in his first season at Man Utd - Now where''s your answer to that one sunshine???

Someone entwined Fergie - I can guarantee many Man U supporters were desperate for him to be sacked in his ''early years''; I went with friends in the away end at Chelsea yonks ago when I was a student, they didnt rate him at all and they were pretty woeful, drawing 1-1 with Hughes clearing off the line late-on - their supporters reckoned that clearance kept him in the job.

That was good research- thanks for taking the time out to reply.

What I would say is- not every club is the same and therefore does not have the same aims.And also can we really say its reasonable that EVERY football team will play lovely passing football every week?

For me Chris Hughton''s reign was summed up by this quote after the Everton game:

"Once you are 1-0 down and you get back to 1-1, you have to be honest and say you settle for that."

No Chris, you don''t settle for a draw when you running riot against a team at home and you haven''t won in a fair while! Go for the win, believe in your team!

I can''t remember who it was but one of the player''s told radio Norfolk that they ignored Hughton and went off in search of a winner. For me that game told me a lot about Hughton the man and Hughton the manager.

[quote user="The Walking Man "]For me Chris Hughton''s reign was summed up by this quote after the Everton game:

"Once you are 1-0 down and you get back to 1-1, you have to be honest and say you settle for that."

No Chris, you don''t settle for a draw when you running riot against a team at home and you haven''t won in a fair while! Go for the win, believe in your team!

I can''t remember who it was but one of the player''s told radio Norfolk that they ignored Hughton and went off in search of a winner. For me that game told me a lot about Hughton the man and Hughton the manager.[/quote]Wow! Really?!

I think it is all about context: we got the equaliser against Everton in the dying stages, so yes, at that point we''d have accepted a draw. It doesn''t mean you won''t keep trying for more, but you have to consider that one point is better than none. It is sensible logic that has applied to league games for decades.

If we stay up, as far as I''m concerned its job done. It wasn''t comfortable, at times it wasn''t pretty, and it certainly wasn''t easy.

He gets the summer to invest in the squad. Pre season games (this season has been very similar to how our preseason was in the way we haven''t scored many). Then if there''s not an improvement on style of play in the first 10 games of the season, or if its looking ominous, it''s time to assess his position.

His aim was to keep us up. He''s nearly done it.

Plus I hate to be "that guy", but if we''d had a decent referee against West Ham (a), QPR (h) and Sunderland (a), and a decent linesman against Arsenal (a), we would be safe by now.

Not saying that''s the only reason we are where we are, but we''ve had little luck this season, and none of the poor decisions have ''evened themselves out'' over the season.